No announcement yet.

Manny and the 40 million

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
    How transparent all you guys are, even those like yourself who are trying to inject a little rationality into the discussion. The other guys are just blasting away and not listening to each other.

This conversation would not be happening if Pacquiao had not had the sheer bad luck to walk into a lucky punch in a fight he was beginning to dominate. It can even be shown that he tripped over Marquez' foot and fell face first into the punch, making it far more concussive.

Simple arithmetic shows that Pacquiao would retain about $24 mill (from $40 mill) after all taxes, (taxes about 38% then, today 41.9%) from which he'd pay his manager and trainer and other expenses. This is with NO Top Rank. If Top Rank were involved it would be about $5-6 mill less. Pacquiao would not ruin his relationship with Top Rank without whom he'd never have been where he is today. According to all reports he makes a minimum of $25 mill for each fight with them.

Then ne has to take into account that when (and if) Mayweather had done his own artihmetic, he might realise that with HIS taxes, promoter, PPV (50-55%) and incidental expenses he wouldn't make all that much either...considering the RISK to his health involved.....
    I think you are right. Because if it was Mayweather who lost via knock out I would have wanted to make the opposite thread.

I try to ignore all the ducking talk and endless rhetoric that goes on. With most of the ducking I think we are in an age of boxing where the cost/benefit analysis of a fight carries more weight in the decision making than the pride of knowing you are better than another fighter. For those who have watched boxing for awhile this is confusing. In all the fights I have seen I never heard Ali say "its up to my promoter" Boxing is changing its more of a business than it ever was and it will continue to go that way. I think what makes Mayweather so polarizing is that he is the one guy who represents that paradigm shift.
    Last edited by RapidFire_Royce; 02-27-2013, 06:40 PM.

Comment

There was and never will be a fight between these two agreed.

Manny Pacquiao is not on a level playing field as far as skill and negotiating power.

Floyd beats him inside and out of the ring, Manny can't even speak for himself as far as talking about a fight between themselves.

Arum pulls the strings and Manny loses to Floyds leftovers.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
        That's a pretty unusual demand to make a fight, leave your promoter. Can be highly questionable, legally. But apparently Pac showed willingness not to reup, too bad that that floyd/50 joint venture fell apart right after.

But I get your gist. That's why they needed to agree on a reasonable split, like 52/48 or 56/44, none of this fixed offer crap. That way everyone gets their a good bump on their career best.
        Floyd just signed a deal worth 250mil, fck 5-0

Comment

Originally posted by Pacquiao'd View Post
          Floyd just signed a deal worth 250mil, fck 5-0
          up to 250m for 6 fights in 30 months, seems well feasible . That included a massive may 4 ppv with Canelo Trout undercard, then even bigger fight with Canelo in september. How's that working out so far?

Comment

It was a very solid offer I have done the math, look at the highest grossing fight in history, the fight would have to smash that for Manny to not be getting a fairly reasonable amount on a percentage basis.

And for people saying Manny did not get any revenue, where do you think his pay would be coming from thin air? 40 million doesn't equate to getting 0% if the fighter's share total is 100 million Manny would be taking 40%~ just because he got a flat fee doesn't mean he is getting shafted although that was possible if the fight did insanely well.

Still that offer was a starting point because it came up from Floyd calling Manny directly, they weren't going to negotiate a deal over the phone like that that is why they have people, so that should have been a starting point and maybe some of the fears from Manny's side about getting shafted if the fight was the biggest ever could have been worked out, instead the offer got laughed off and they didn't sit down to really negotiate.

Manny should have told Arum my way or the highway and forced them to really talk, that was certainly within Manny's power.
            Last edited by The Gambler1981; 02-27-2013, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakutindi Wauya View Post
              Manny will never make that kind of money. This is the price you pay for being ******.
              And floyd would never make the amount of money he would make fighting pac than other fighters. That argument is so ******ed you know that right?

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                It was a very solid offer I have done the math, look at the highest grossing fight in history, the fight would have to smash that for Manny to not be getting a fairly reasonable amount on a percentage basis.

And for people saying Manny did not get any revenue, where do you think his pay would be coming from thin air? 40 million doesn't equate to getting 0% if the fighter's share total is 100 million Manny would be taking 40%~ just because he got a flat fee doesn't mean he is getting shafted although that was possible if the fight did insanely well.

Still that offer was a starting point because it came up from Floyd calling Manny directly, they weren't going to negotiate a deal over the phone like that that is why they have people, so that should have been a starting point and maybe some of the fears from Manny's side about getting shafted if the fight was the biggest ever could have been worked out, instead the offer got laughed off and they didn't sit down to really negotiate.
                Dude any fixed, no upside offer is a non starter when the other guy is a major draw. There's no precedent for that fight, if projections are off by 10% you're missing out on 10s of millions.

Comment

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
                  He offered him a 100% pay increase basically. Pacquiao won't ever see those paydays under Top Rank. Mayweather on this deal that can net him a quarter billion will be making a little more than 40 mill per fight to fight the likes of Robert Guerrero(Meh) and Saul Alvarez(Who I don't have a high opinion of).
                  I keep hearing this ****. You know what floyd would have made if he kept the PPV's to himself? He would have probably made over $100 million. Could floyd make that money fighting anyone else? Ok then. Now how is that fair? That offer was a slap in the face.

Comment

Floyd giving manny only $40M and no PPVS buys for a fight this big must be Floyd overchargin' niggaz for what they did to the cold crush.

Manny would be ******ed to take a flat fee and nothing on the back end. Horrible business move.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                      Dude any fixed, no upside offer is a non starter when the other guy is a major draw. There's no precedent for that fight, if projections are off by 10% you're missing out on 10s of millions.
                      I disagree, everyone has a price~ and you don't spend percentage points you spend dollars so if you can't make similar money elsewhere that is a very silly stance. You could say Floyd lost out also but he makes more on average and will make more going forward, so he isn't going to miss it much. In the game of opportunity cost Manny lost.

He could have got shafted had the fight broke records, but I think they could have come to an accord to make those fears go away. It was a starting point not an end point.

People make it out like that offer was a terrible affront to Manny, it was far from that.

Comment

Working...
                      X