Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video: Rigo's resistance to Left hook? A KO waiting to Happen!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
    It didn't even take me that fight to realize it, he has a bad habit of leaving the jab out there, pawing and holding his right hand low. I don't think he's gonna be rehearsing combinations in front of Donaire, I'm sure he's smarter than that, but I see Donaire taking him out. I'm confident in Donaire's instincts if he gets hurt, not so sure about Rigo's or his durability.

he's got a bad habit of taking half second naps. sometimes they turn into entire rounds. it works in teh amateurs, where guys are trying to score points. in one of those half second naps a top flight professional with a big punch will capitalize and get to his chin.

Comment

There is a lot of hot air about resumes etc and Rigo having an amateur style that can't translate to being a pro. I was watching a bunch of Rigo amateur fights with a boxing trainer I know and he said it was a joke and it was like watching a fight between a seasoned pro (Rigo) and an amateur (his opponents). The only thing amateur about Rigo was that he had to fight over 3 rounds not 12 but he has a pro style,hits hard a great defense and is undoubtedly an elite fighter. This is a fight between 2 elite fighters not 2 resumes.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        Yeah, the communists developed a system of fighting that evolved into a very effective formula for Olympic-style boxing. In the early days of Cuban Olympic success, our fighters still displayed some of the remnants of the old-time Cuban greats. As Olympic boxing progressed (or should I say regressed?), the Cubans adjusted to the changes to maintain their dominance. Olympic boxing has become a shadow of it's former self (hopefully the coming rule changes will restore some of its past glory). Cuban fighters, being limited to amateur boxing, have suffered the most damage when a handful of our best prospects manage to escape communism and turn pro. It is what it is.
        I have seen some great Cuban fighters in sparring, you watch them and you would think that they are going to go undefeated in the pro ranks. Problem is, it's hard to keep that style up for 12 rounds.

One guy I do think is going to be great for the Cuban population here in S. Florida is Santana. I have seen him in the gym personally and the dude is a BEAST. Has a pro style, and hits like a mule kick.

I think he will make a great transition to the pro style and other Cuban fighters will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
          No disputing he has a potent left hook but most of these guys have ran face first into it, doubling the impact.
          Against Arce it was almost as if he purposely let him hit him. As if to say ''lefts get this over with so I can collect my retirement cheque''
          We seen Narvaez take his left hook away. Mathebula outboxed him for most part. Vasquez Jr had a lot of success.

He has no jab. Hes simply for most part against guys who come forward without a care in the world for defense.
          I won't go as far as to call Donaire overrated, but he really is developing this reputation as a monster. He's not. He's an excellent fighter who has achieved some nice things so far in his career. His P4P status is justified, in my opinion, but that doesn't make him anywhere near unbeatable. Put it this way, if I thought Rigondeaux had a solid chin, I wouldn't hesitate to pick him in this fight. But the truth is the truth, Guille's chin is questionable. I just hope it turns out to be better than many of us thought. We'll probably find out in the fight.

Comment

If Donaire starts waiting on his left hook (which he does all the damn time) he is going to start dropping rounds like crazy. He might go in and stink it up like Gesta.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
              I have seen some great Cuban fighters in sparring, you watch them and you would think that they are going to go undefeated in the pro ranks. Problem is, it's hard to keep that style up for 12 rounds.

One guy I do think is going to be great for the Cuban population here in S. Florida is Santana. I have seen him in the gym personally and the dude is a BEAST. Has a pro style, and hits like a mule kick.

I think he will make a great transition to the pro style and other Cuban fighters will follow.
              Agreed to everything.

I'm glad you brought up Angelo. I have high hopes for that kid. He's young, fast, skilled, athletic, aggressive and hits hard. He's got a fight coming up on April 12, against Ismael Barroso (13-0-2, with 12 KOs).

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                Oh wow you mean to tell me he got hit 2-3 times over a 12 round period?

Donaire gets hit 60 times that every fight.

Keep banking on the left hook, its all you have and all Donaire has for that matter. ''bu-b--b-but he dropped an inactive 74yr old Nishioka with a straight right''
                he obliterated sydorenko's nose with a right hand, he tagged montiel with a hard right hand, he broke mathebula's jaw with a right hand, he knocked down arce twice with a right hand, etc., etc.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                  Agreed to everything.

I'm glad you brought up Angelo. I have high hopes for that kid. He's young, fast, skilled, athletic, aggressive and hits hard. He's got a fight coming up on April 12, against Ismael Barroso (13-0-2, with 12 KOs).
                  We travel from gym to gym to spar our kids and I remember the first time I saw him at a gym in Miami. He was hitting the heavy bag and I asked who that was because when he hit it, it made a sound like a HW was hitting it.

What's so impressive is he has so many amateur fights and you can see how polished he is. He is also young, which is rare for most Cuban fighters that come from the island. Most of them are almost 30 by the time they work their way here.

I would hate to get hit by that guy with 8oz gloves man, he hits so hard I can't even begin to describe it to you. The one thing is, he has been dropped in sparring so there is a question of his chin, or so they have told me.

Comment

Like Benny said, Donaire is too big for this division. No one well test him that much, only when he moves up another division well we see what his made off. The only problem with that is that there's not much competition at 126 left. By the time he moves up the likes of Siri, Garcia, Lopez are not gonna be there for him to fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                      We travel from gym to gym to spar our kids and I remember the first time I saw him at a gym in Miami. He was hitting the heavy bag and I asked who that was because when he hit it, it made a sound like a HW was hitting it.

What's so impressive is he has so many amateur fights and you can see how polished he is. He is also young, which is rare for most Cuban fighters that come from the island. Most of them are almost 30 by the time they work their way here.

I would hate to get hit by that guy with 8oz gloves man, he hits so hard I can't even begin to describe it to you. The one thing is, he has been dropped in sparring so there is a question of his chin, or so they have told me.
                      Ahhhhh...that was the one thing I didn't list as his qualities: chin. I've haven't seen Angelo really get tagged. I suppose that's because he's been so much better than his opposition, up to this point. I hope he's got some solid whiskers, 'cause he'll definitely go far if he does.

Santana laid a fearsome knockout on Juan Garcia in his last fight. It was one of those KOs where you actually fear for the fighter's health. Angelo is indeed polished. He has extensive amateur experience, but he's much more inclined to the pro style. Thank God he's a young Cuban, for a change. I'm tired of seeing our best fighters make it over to the U.S. so late.

Comment

Working...
                      X