No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: HBO Statement on Mayweather Going To Showtime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WESS View Post
    HBO will survive! Floyd's old. They need to focus on the new(er) generation of fighters anyway!
    Of course HBO will survive. I think what happened was that HBO made an offer and Showtime offered something HBO couldn't or didn't want to match and seen as absurd.

Floyd is going to go where the money is and I don't blame him. It's also a win for Showtime IMO because even if Showtime over paid, it puts them on the map against HBO. Let's be honest, public perception was that HBO was always much better than Showtime and now Showtime has landed THE top fighter in the world.

Comment

HBO will have to step up with quality fights now.

Ellerbe is correct I believe in saying HBO took their man for granted. Expecting a guy as focused on $$$ as Mayweather to take a "don't fix it if it ain't broke" attitude to his wallet instead of trying to explore options is stupid.

The bottom line is that no matter what Showtime offered HBO was/is capable of equaling or beating it if they want to. In the end it would be hard to believe that they still wouldn't make a ton of money even if it was less than they were used to getting off his fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        Of course HBO will survive. I think what happened was that HBO made an offer and Showtime offered something HBO couldn't or didn't want to match and seen as absurd.

Floyd is going to go where the money is and I don't blame him. It's also a win for Showtime IMO because even if Showtime over paid, it puts them on the map against HBO. Let's be honest, public perception was that HBO was always much better than Showtime and now Showtime has landed THE top fighter in the world.
        Showtime has really stepped their game up. I don't normally watch Showtime unless it’s for boxing. However of late, I have been watching Dexter and Homeland, which are great shows. Normally HBO is king of everything IMO (Boardwalk Empire, awesome show). But anyway now with Floyd they have really stepped over HBO.

I still like HBO boxing any day over Showtime. Floyd might be changing things up though. So we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by WESS View Post
          Showtime has really stepped their game up. I don't normally watch Showtime unless it’s for boxing. However of late, I have been watching Dexter and Homeland, which are great shows. Normally HBO is king of everything IMO (Boardwalk Empire, awesome show). But anyway now with Floyd they have really stepped over HBO.

I still like HBO boxing any day over Showtime. Floyd might be changing things up though. So we will see.
          SO Floyd makes Showtime the best network....

Manny can sing better than Frank Sinatra

Comment

I really hope HBO starts doing 4 fight cards now.

Comment

Showtime's been making moves lately, they did Cotto-Trout, Canelo-Lopez, both had like 1M views. SHO snapping up Espinoza was a smart move.

Win/win for all of us, HBO's going to have to put on great cards to compete.

Comment

Originally posted by MRBOOMER View Post
                Have you actually listened to Roy commentate?

He tells you what's going on all the time and what's really going on. I think you got him confused with George Forman
                I mean I see you got him in your sig, but no, in terms of meaningful comments per fight, Paulie's got a way higher average than RJJ. (Yeah that's right, meaningful comments per fight, it's a new metric for judging commentators).

Paulie isn't the greatest fighter-commentator of all time, but he does a better job of articulating the subtleties of boxing than RJJ. His guido humor is funny as *****

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFollower View Post
                  WHOA WHOA WHOA...

Floyd used to be Mr. HBO...so he's not Mr. HBO anymore???
                  Of course not Boner is

Comment

Only ting I have HBO for is boxing but I dont do PPV.

Comment

Damn now I gotta get showtime might have to get a part time job...shiaaat!

Comment

Working...
                      X