Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The notion that older Heavyweights couldn't beat Heavyweight's the size of today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    That's about as stupid as saying a guy who lost to Ross Puritty could never be champion in any other era.
    not stupid at all.anybody can be beat.but saying a small guy would dominate any era when he was knocked out by a smaller weaker guy than said fighters of that era is stupid.plain and simple

Comment

Carnera is a bad example. He was a product of the organized crime circles of the time, if is widely known his oppoents took falls for him to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post

Only truly great fighters that were in extraordinary shape could dominate Wlad, I mean just look at those bulging biceps, that pumped up chest, shredded back and abdomen!
        Wlad beats Sanders 9 times out of 10. Just like Tyson beats Buster Douglas 9 times out of 10. And Lennox beats Rahman 9 times out of 10.

**** happens.

But that doesn't negate the overall argument that today's "new era" of Lennox-Klitschko sized HWs are a different breed and would destroy the previous era's HWs most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by The Nephilim View Post
          You're not fooling anybody. If Arreola was dominating right now we wouldn't hear all of the trash talk about him. He'd just be another "great" Amerikan heavyweight in the supposed long line of them.

It's easy to look at fighters who were heavily hyped in Amerika like Sam Peter (not Amerikan but black, close enough), Calvin Brock, Arreola, and others, and dismiss them as "garbage" and whatever now that they've been destroyed by a Klitschko.

However, if there had never been any Klitschkos and these guys were dominating, the hype machine for them would have continued. There's no reason why it wouldn't have.

It's all a matter of how these things are portrayed in the corrupt Amerikan sports media.
          Just watch footage of some of the 90's heavyweight fights, and than watch everyone you just mentioned.....

I hate Arreola, seriously. Always have.

My favorite heavyweights right now are younger guys coming up, like David Price, Bryant Jennings, Malik Scott, etc. Or even Steve Cunningham, who easily beat Adamek and was robbed.

I'm not debating that Wlad and Vitali are good fighters, they are. The level of opposition hasn't been there though. Even Holmes, who fought in a weaker era, given what happened before and after his era, had better opposition in Shavers and an older Norton. If Shavers and Norton were fighting today and in the heavyweight picture, they'd beat everyone with the exception of the Klitschko's.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
            Just watch footage of some of the 90's heavyweight fights, and than watch everyone you just mentioned.....

My favorite heavyweights right now are younger guys coming up, like David Price, Bryant Jennings, Malik Scott, etc. Or even Steve Cunningham, who easily beat Adamek and was robbed.

I'm not debating that Wlad and Vitali are good fighters, they are. The level of opposition hasn't been there though. Even Holmes, who fought in a weaker era, given what happened before and after his era, had better opposition in Shavers and an older Norton. If Shavers and Norton were fighting today and in the heavyweight picture, they'd beat everyone with the exception of the Klitschko's.
            even ali said joe louis had the bum of the month club.alotta people want to rewrite history and act like everybody who joe fought was a great fighter,who would dominate any era,and anybody but joe louis.the guys he fought were freaking laughable.tony gallento wouldnt even be sancntioned to fight today

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              Of course it would, but not nearly as much as you'd like to think. Proof of this is how many of these fighters did against one another in the amateurs. Why weren't Ali, Frazier, Foreman and even the likes of Pete Radamacher being blown out then against grown men? Face it, these things run in cycles.

Oh, and Joe Louis destroys every fighter today.
              your mom is a tranny and smells like tuna

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post

Ok so you just discredited your own thread. The older hws couldn't beat the super sized hws of today

Comment

Originally posted by r.burgundy View Post
                  even ali said joe louis had the bum of the month club.alotta people want to rewrite history and act like everybody who joe fought was a great fighter,who would dominate any era,and anybody but joe louis.the guys he fought were freaking laughable.tony gallento wouldnt even be sancntioned to fight today

the 'olden days' nostalgia must always be tempered by the fact no fighters from communist countries were allowed to fight pro. and this is when most of eastern europe and all russia was communist

it cant be a coincidence that since the iron curtain came down the east europeans have dominated. not sdaying they would have in the 60s, 70, 80s but there would have been a fair amount of big russians competing at the top level who would have surely have some of the titles
                  moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by r.burgundy View Post
                    He also fought Walcott and Charles....I don't think Joe would beat the Klitschko's H2H or other heavyweights who are greater than the Klitschko's. But I think he beat the likes of Brock, Peter, Sanders, Brewster, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew5050 View Post
                      Ok so you just discredited your own thread. The older hws couldn't beat the super sized hws of today
                      No. Older heavyweights, like Joe Louis, Joe Walcott, they could beat the big heavyweights of today. Basically....they could beat the opposition the Klitschko's have had to face. Could they beat the Klitschko's themselves??? I'm not so sure.

But they would be able to beat these heavyweights the Klitschko's have had to face.

Comment

Working...
                      X