Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Marquez Not Surprised if Mayweather Rejects Guerrero

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You kids are silly. To question Marquez's resume because he took a couple tune-ups? Most fighters do! They were both after decent layoffs. For years Marquez was stuck fighting young, dangerous fighters while he was begging Pacquiao for a 3rd fight! If you think Diaz and Katsidis weren't dangerous back in 2009/2010, then you must not pay attention to the game. Diaz only had 1 loss at the time of the first defeat and Katsidis had 2. Not to mention he moved up in weight and knocked Casamayor (the division kingpin at the time)out!

I agree that Floyd carefully hand selects his opponents and fights fighters at the right time. Not financially but physically. I used to be a big Mayweather fan and defend him but I gave up on him once Pacquiao basically conceeded to all of his demands (Olympic style drug testing and the smaller split) and yet Floyd still came up with another reason not to fight. He avoided Margarito, young Cotto, "fresh off the Marg KO" Mosley, and today he avoids Martinez. I'm sure I'm forgetting some others. He's too worried about losing that "0". Marquez knows what he's talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
      So Marquez doesn't consider himself a risk to Floyd?
      Exactly my thoughts. It looks like Mayweather took Marquez' heart that night. He will always bow down to Floyd as the best.

Anyway, Floyd not announcing his opponent is working better than actually announcing it. "I got the Internet goin nuts" lol. A fighter that people were calling a cherry pick has now turned into a fighter he is ducking. This is hilarious. So now when Floyd fights Guerrero, it looks a big risk and therefore sells ppv. Wow! Floyd or someone on his team is a damn genius. They promote fights like no other. I bet Floyd sitting back like, "I can promote a fight with no opponent, watch!" He could be in the ring by himself and still sell the fight. Amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by newcastleking View Post
        JMM is saying "boxers" like himself arent a good match against Floyd who he admits is the very best "boxer" p4p, but rugged infighters give more of a problem, hence Guerrero's recent style. A pretty shot Cotto was beating the **** out of Floyd for a while there with in fighting, we all saw Floyd humble up after that 1 ADMIT IT!. The Guerrero weve seen as of lately is very tough & rugged with a hell of a chin. More of a problem that the breakable Alexander. Floyd prefers breakable guys.
        I don't think Cotto was beating Floyd (it's just that FM was more passive in some early rounds because Cotto out-weighted Mayweather by 10+ pounds). However, I admit that a real pressure fighter can give problems and even beat Floyd which is exactly what happened with Jose Luis Castillo who should accounted as the first defeat in the record of Floyd (even HBO and Compubox gave the fight to Castillo). Floyd made very good adjustments in the second fight with Castillo and was able to defeat the mexican fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by WESS View Post
          Pactarts are so confused at this point. They don't know whether to **** on the ghost or say Floyd is ducking him.
          What's the confusion with knowing Floyd's formula?:

Least amount of risk with highest amount of reward ($ money $).

While Guerrero has a sub-par WW resume, so does Alexander but being that Guerrero appears to be slightly more riskier than Alexander, one makes the statement "It wouldn't surprise me that Floyd takes on the fighter that is less risky". This statement really puts down Floyd in that someone like Marquez admits that Floyd is a talented boxer who hates taking risks so much that he would even avoid risking a fight with a sub-par WW resume in Guerrero ....

For me, Alexander, Guerrero and Canelo need to be staying busy and call Floyd up next year IF THEY IMPRESS against quality opponents. In the meantime, Floyd can do what he does best: Taking long extended vacations but there are no risky fighters to avoid. So we all know Floyd will do something else that he likes to do. Fight another guy with just a couple of fights under his belt at WW. That is, Guerrero or Alexander .... what a surprise .... NOT!
          Last edited by ADP02; 02-15-2013, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lopez36 View Post
            agree...floyd will do better against alexander who will fight at a distance and not throw much but guerrero will be on top of him like cotto was and jow ortiz was starting to...floyd wants the easier fight
            U do realize at the time before the headbut when Ortiz had Floyd against the ropes, Floyd was smiling while he threw those body shots. That's actually probably why he headbutt him. For 16 years (and longer) everyone thinks pressure beats Floyd. And they lose every time. Is nobody watching and learning? I think Guerrero knows this. I am almost willing to bet Guerrero will come out and try to box Floyd. Until he realizes he can't. Then he'll try to pressure and get knocked out. Floyd's defense is made for pressure fighters. That's why he doesn't throw a lot cuz he blocks and dodges almost everything. Anything that does land is not clean an therefore doesn't score much. Which is why activity doesn't beat Floyd. U have to land more clean shots than he does and u won't do that inside. All the judges see is ineffective aggression vs floyd's clean shots landing. These fighters have to learn how to beat Floyd on points. Anyone who thinks pressure beats Floyd has ignored his whole career.

Comment

marquez is only one of MANY thats say this among boxers ..from hollyfield to holmes to leonard to chop chop to cooney to pryor to bradley to marquez to many moore have all said this..floyd is the biggest ducker ever..

having said that, marquez has a very weak group of opponets himself outside of pacquiao....

real talk!

Comment

Originally posted by WESS View Post
                Pactarts are so confused at this point. They don't know whether to **** on the ghost or say Floyd is ducking him.
                They can't wait til the fight gets announced so they can choose a side.

Comment

Originally posted by The904star View Post
                  They can't wait til the fight gets announced so they can choose a side.
                  Sorry to tell you this but its Marquez that said it. Everyone else is just confirming that Floyd prefers to take on the less riskier opponent. That doesn't mean Guerrero is a risky fighter. Guerrero's resume at WW is sub-par and as is Devon's ... but if Floyd can chose he would take on the fighter that he feels is easier while bringing in the most amount of money.

Guerrero may bring in more money on that weekend so that may end up being the difference. It will not have anything to do with Guerrero being the better challenge. If that was so, Floyd would have already fought guys like Manny, Martinez, .....

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
                    having said that, marquez has a very weak group of opponets himself outside of pacquiao....

real talk!
                    Your statement is ridiculous.
                    Marquez was avoided like the plague by most other titlists at FW (like Barrerra, Morales, and Naseem Hamed) so he cleaned out most of the feared up-and-coming contenders. Are you forgetting or did you just not realize that Marquez fought Agapito Sanchez, Julio Gervacio, and Alfred Kotey (all future titlists) as he waited 22 months as Hamed's mandatory before being officially ducked? He then fought Freddie Norwood (champ), Derrick Gainer, Robbie Pedan, Daniel Jiminez, and Manuel Medina (all former or future champs). Are you forgetting that after the Pacquiao draw Marquez fought Orlando Salido, Chris John (in Indonesia, untelevised, and for pennies!), then Marco Antonio Barrera? After the next Pac fight, he moved up to LW, fought the lineal champ (Casamayor), then defended against Diaz who was feared by everybody. Oh yeah- then Marquez moved up two weight classes to fight Mayweather.
                    Last edited by DuckDodgers; 02-15-2013, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
                      Dude, no one in boxing has fought more bigger guys than Floyd. He was routinely outweighed by alot in his fights and naturally the much smallest fighter
                      He's had two fights in his career were he was outweighed..ODH and Cotto.

Originally posted by boxingfeind View Post
                      He just mad that Mayweather humiliated him in front a whole bunch of Mexicans when Floyd fought him.

Floyd took plenty of risk,he fought Diego Corrales when Corrales was undefeated and ko`ed everybody left and right,He took on Castillo twice,He signed to fight Zab Judah when Zab was coming off of a win over a prime Cory Spinks and that fight was considered dangerous for Floyd before Zab lost to baldomir,Floyd also took on a much bigger Delahoya with no catchweights and Floyd came in at 150 while Oscar came in weighing in his mid to late 160`s minimum.He took on Cotto with no catchweights.While Marquez moved up and asked Pacquiao and Mayweather for catchweights and avoided Amir Khan when Khan challenged him.
                      ODH? GTFOH..Cotto...gtfoh..two guys who didn't belong at 154..Cotto is only at 154 because he's lazy..he does not belong at 154..i'm a lifelong Cotto fan too..the guy got lazy and tried to become a puncher instead of relying on what made him a star..ODH should've never taken the fights with Mayweather and Pacquaio, he was not going to be effective dropping that much weight and yes Mayweather and Pacquaio fought ODH at a catchweight..Oscar would've fought better at 160 and higher the guy was walking around at nearly 200 pounds or higher while retired and in rehab.

Originally posted by MrClutch85 View Post
                      Marquez says Mayweather is probably not comfortable with Guerrero's physical style of fighting that's bs.Mayweather fought Cotto at 154 and he has physical style of fighting plus he is a better inside fighter than Guerrero.
                      Again Cotto is not a legit 154lb fighter..he's too slow, small and too weak for 154lb to legitimize him at 154lb and he will continue to get his ass whopped at the division for these same reasons. Cotto above 147 is pure trash..and i've been a lifelong Cotto fan. Hell every trainer asked about Cotto at 154 has pretty much said the same exact thing...so yeah he beat a guy who was mediocre with hand speed at 147 the last few years but you expect him to be a better fighter 7 pounds heavier? What happens to a fighter who loses his speed and adds muscle? He gets even slower..notice how he gases out like Pascal now?

Comment

Working...
                      X