No announcement yet.

Lets get this straight BEFORE the Broner mismatch at the weekend

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
    i'm just fucking with you out of mild boredom, though. i don't really care. make as many threads about US fighters' fans as you want. be warned i might hijack them occasionally.
    I agree with a lot of your sentiments particularly about the skillsets, why they are so lacking I don't know.

But i'm fiercely patriotic (someone has to be) an I won't give yanks or anyone for that matter a pass for the same sort of **** they rip us for, 'ts not 'appening lad
    Last edited by Earl-Hickey; 02-15-2013, 05:40 AM.

Comment

(yes, i am hijacking your whiny thread about a fighter's fans)

this isn't just hindsight wisdom, btw. three years ago when many folk (mostly British folk) on this forum were picking Khan to beat Bradley and making statements like 'Khan is MUCH more skilled than Bradley', i could be found here asking people to justify those statements in some detail and state exactly where Amir's technical advantages lay. because, as far as i could see it, he possessed few of them and Bradley had the deeper skillset by far. it all boiled down to Amir being fast and throwing a lot of straight punches and having a telephone pole jab, apparently (shame he was never taught how to actually use his jab - compare Khan's and Bradley's use of the jab against common opponent Lamont Peterson).

ofc, after his struggles, the hype on Khan has now cooled down and people may look back with some embarrassment at some of the proclamations they made for him.

the point i'm getting at is, if the UK's leading boxing lights don't want to end up looking like jokes in the longterm, maybe they could work on being LESS TECHNICALLY SHIT. when they catch flack for being limited, it's usually because they're limited.

the basic sentiment at the heart of almost all your threads/posts has been - 'how dare ye Americans criticize the fistic soldiers of Blighty!!!!! i will now recriminate and recriminate until ye have fallen asleep! the three year war shall be won! EXCALIBURRRRRR!!!!!!!!"
      Erm khan was a 17 year old Olympic silver medallist only beaten by one of the greatest Cubans ever and yeah I still pick him to beat Tom Bradley,khan don't deal with big punchers who same time punch that's true but that's doesn't mean he's a quality technician

Comment

Originally posted by tonyjones View Post
        Erm khan was a 17 year old Olympic silver medallist only beaten by one of the greatest Cubans ever and yeah I still pick him to beat Tom Bradley,khan don't deal with big punchers who same time punch that's true but that's doesn't mean he's a quality technician
        firstly, i like Amir Khan.

Khan has great physical talents and that's what his successes have been based on.

he wasn't skilled enough to beat Bradley. 'big punchers who punch with him' may have been the guys to comprehensively upend him so far, but they are not his only Kryptonite. a guy of Bradley's technical skillset and versatility will give him fits, box his ears off.

maybe he makes some miraculous quantum leaps under Hunter. but that's yet to be seen. at least he's learning to hold center ring a little better now and starting to realize that more is not necessarily more.

Comment

i mean, example.

i've been critical of Amir's movement for the longest. 'oh, but you're an idiot, he's so fast, his footwork is amazing-blazing', his boosters used to tell me. is it worth distinguishing between footspeed and footwork? if a guy's feet are moving quickly, does that mean his footwork must be good?

Khan's feet have always moved quickly, but never fluidly or with understanding of position. under Roach, he was programmed to use that footspeed in a way that was effective to a point. gallop around the compass of the ring, divebomb in on a straight line, pull out on a straight line, gallop around the compass of the ring, rinse-repeat. it's effective in a lot of cases because Khan's so quick. if someone is able to offset that formula, Khan is all at sea, he doesn't really know how to move - he just keeps doing the same thing and trying to gut it out.

watch the recent Behind The Ropes episode and you'll notice how Hunter's getting Khan's feet used to taking small, short steps and taking him away from an emphasis on just moving quickly and being in such a hurry in general. "you're not a track star, you're a fighter."

not just his feet, but across the board. you'll notice Khan seems seems surprised by how finite the movements are that Virgil expects of him. "is that all?"

Hunter's refrain, "too much!" his philosphy, less is more.

remains to be seen if Khan has the athletic versatility to apply any of it in a real, high-pressure fight situation, but Hunter is definitely showing him the things he particularly needs to work on if he's ever to progress to the elite.
          Last edited by S. Saddler 1310; 02-15-2013, 07:33 AM.

Comment

broner is universally regarded as the 5th best fighter in the world p4p.
            deal with it

Comment

Originally posted by elgranluchadore View Post
              broner is universally regarded as the 5th best fighter in the world p4p.
              deal with it

Comment

i mean, example.

i've been critical of Amir's movement for the longest. 'oh, but you're an idiot, he's so fast, his footwork is amazing-blazing', his boosters used to tell me. is it worth distinguishing between footspeed and footwork? if a guy's feet are moving quickly, does that mean his footwork must be good?

Khan's feet have always moved quickly, but never fluidly or with understanding of position. under Roach, he was programmed to use that footspeed in a way that was effective to a point. gallop around the compass of the ring, divebomb in on a straight line, pull out on a straight line, gallop around the compass of the ring, rinse-repeat. it's effective in a lot of cases because Khan's so quick. if someone is able to offset that formula, Khan is all at sea, he doesn't really know how to move - he just keeps doing the same thing and trying to gut it out.

watch the recent Behind The Ropes episode and you'll notice how Hunter's getting Khan's feet used to taking small, short steps and taking him away from an emphasis on just moving quickly and being in such a hurry in general. "you're not a track star, you're a fighter."

not just his feet, but across the board. you'll notice Khan seems seems surprised by how finite the movements are that Virgil expects of him. "is that all?"

Hunter's refrain, "too much!" his philosphy, less is more.

remains to be seen if Khan has the athletic versatility to apply any of it in a real, high-pressure fight situation, but Hunter is definitely showing him the things he particularly needs to work on if he's ever to progress to the elite.
                Sorry mate I certainly don't see Bradley boxing his ears off its a close competitive fight that I see khan edging could go either way but no one to date has boxed khan,ur right khan does still have flaws with body acting with out brain thinking throwing but he's still a very effective boxer/technician.....hey I'm not a big fan of the guy cos he doesn't come across well but he's harshly treated IMO by most fans

Comment

Also sorry for talking off topic broner by the way is sumpremely talented just so unoriginal and irritating not in a clever naz/camacho way but he's still very young and maybe he might grow his own personality

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
                    I've gotten pissed off when fights I didn't like have been announced... it's called being a boxing fan.
                    So you've must of been really upset, when Canelo fought Lopez, Rhodes, Cotto's older brother and shot over the hill Baldomir. Now he's trying to fight Cotto whom was dominated by Trout! Yes true boxing fan you are? By the way this is a horrible match for Broner

Comment

Originally posted by tonyjones View Post
                      Also sorry for talking off topic broner by the way is sumpremely talented just so unoriginal and irritating not in a clever naz/camacho way but he's still very young and maybe he might grow his own personality
                      I think he's kind of doing that now. I already think he has a better gift for gab than Mayweather ever did. He'll never be a good guy though, Broner seems to have made it his mission to be the ridiculous cartoon version of what people hate about Mayweather's persona.

Comment

Working...
                      X