Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Floyd hadn't ducked Paul Williams, what would have been the result?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have Paul winning by UD but at the end Mayweather will win a controversial SD

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
      I picked Mayweather when this question popped up a few years back and my pick really hasn't changed. Williams just had too many technical flaws, the way he gives up his height when he was moving forward would've allowed Mayweather to tag him all the time with counters. Mayweather would then be able to get low and make himself smaller, which would've made it hard for Williams to connect on a consistent basis. Also, I'm pretty sure Mayweather would've been able to make Williams reset constantly by stepping around him, which would negate the workrate, similar to what Quintana was able to do.

I mean Williams would have won some rounds, especially early in the fight but I just don't see him winning.
      Williams had trouble with lefties .... Martinez, Lara and Quintana.

By the way, Williams adjusted and KOed Quintana.

Comment

I always liked Williams in this for the fact of the Mayweather shoulder roll not being as effective against significantly taller fighters.
        I don't think Floyd had the punching power to keep Paull off of him AND Floyd isn't the mover he was back in his lightweight days.

I could see it going either way but I'd take the Punisher. Just a bad style match up for Floyd.

Comment

we are talking about the same paul williams that got stymied and outboxed by carlos quintana. id take the best floyd mayweather over the best paul williams anyday. i know paul williams is a huge sucke for southpaws, but thats not the only thing that won martinez, quintana and lara rounds against him. hes a very very flawed fighter and i dont see how anyone doesnt think floyds speed, skill, intelligence and ring generalship doesnt prevail in this one.

Comment

To say Floyd ducked Paul is non sense Paul couldnt draw flies to a **** and he lost to quintana pretty much killing his chances of getting a shot at the elite.

As for Pauls skills, he was a good fighter great work rate and reach decent chin but he was outboxed by Quintana and knocked out by Sergio he was also hurt a few time s by kermit cintron nefore the guy leapt out of the ring in unusual circumstances. I expect that floyd would comfortably adapt and outbox paul. Dont overrate Paul because he is now disabled he was a very good fighter Floyd is a great fighter.

Comment

If Quintana can time Paul, than Floyd definitely can.

Comment

I never really rated P-Dub...he's cool but I thought he fought stupid most of the times....don't get it twisted, dude was a warrior but he had major flaws...years ago I said Floyd and Manny would beat him...I stand by that!!!...again, nothing against Big Pun but certain fighters got what it takes to beat him...Floyd and Manny fall in the lane imo

Comment

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
                  Williams had trouble with lefties .... Martinez, Lara and Quintana.

By the way, Williams adjusted and KOed Quintana.
                  I personally think Williams had trouble with slick guys who could move and make him reset. Yes, he adjusted but Quintana has always been an inconsistent fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
                    Yeah, but you had to get within range to hit him, and not be afraid to get hit yourself. Carlos Quintana is a crafty, durable southpaw.

Why'd you bold the part about not being afraid of getting hit? That was meant for his opponent. I meant you had to be a southpaw with pop, and not be afraid to get hit, in order to have success on P-Will.

Floyd reaching in on him, would equal Paul landing all night. I'd bank that Paul had more pop than Floyd. The question is, who would hurt the other? I think Paul.
                    gotta agree. The size is too much and floyd doesnt have the style that gave williams fits. Williams was out of his element against a southpaw with a chin and the ability to hurt him. I think the reason being is because he was so used to having the advantage when it came to the typical southpaw/orthodox fighters fighting for position, he always won out because of his size(he could force his own pace because he stole the best punch angles away from othodox opponents. The work rate also made it so orthodox fighters were never that anxious to get in their and fight for position (nether would floyd). I believe this is just a bad style match up for floyd. Personally I believe that the punisher had a lot of holes in his game and I believe he never patched them because he knew how to take advantage of the benefits that came with his size and his style. I believe the holes became clear when he is on equal footing (another southpaw)and can no longer rely on the things he exploits. I dont believe hes a better fighter than floyd but I do believe hes a bad match up style wise.
                    Last edited by Shogunofharlem1; 02-13-2013, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Apparently the entire WW division ducked Williams outside of Margs, Quintana, and Clottey. I mention Clottey's name cause he called Williams out a couple times but the fight was never made. Which is why I don't get William's people saying nobody at WW wanted to fight him

On Topic: I find it hard to believe if Quintana can beat Pwill that Floyd wouldn't as well. Pwill was always too sloppy for me, good fighter though.

Comment

Working...
                      X