Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Khan, Lopez Falls Through on Weight: Maidana Steps In?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post
    If he is such a huge attraction that brings in so much money why is it that he can't afford to fight in the UK without being on primetime US TV and getting the Showtime fee?

Senchenko and Lopez hardly demand the big money. If Khan won't pay them just imagine what kind of garbage he will end up fighting.
    As I understood the article, Khan has a slot on Showtime and there's little financial sense in dropping that slot.

I dont know what money Lopez demanded so please tell me.

Comment

haha, Khan trying to make these bigger guys drain down to fight him or make smaller dudes bloat up.....he doesn't want a true challenge. He also has no pull, opponents are laughing at him and walking away - he must think he is Pac or something.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        Humberto Soto would be a good fight for Khan.
        I bet Soto would box Khan's ears off. Khan doesn't have the pressure style to wear down Soto and Soto is a much better boxer than Khan is. Khan would think he is picking on the smaller man but the smaller man is far more technical than Khan is.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
          haha, Khan trying to make these bigger guys drain down to fight him or make smaller dudes bloat up.....he doesn't want a true challenge. He also has no pull, opponents are laughing at him and walking away - he must think he is Pac or something.
          If you take a good look at Khan he's always had problems with guys his size, or slightly longer.

Peterson
          Prescott
          Danny
          Maidana

All roughly his size.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            As I understood the article, Khan has a slot on Showtime and there's little financial sense in dropping that slot.

I dont know what money Lopez demanded so please tell me.
            As I understood the article Lopez didn't turn the fight based on the financial offer so I don't see the point of debating it.

It seems the money was fine as long as the fight was at 147 and it appears Khan just isn't generating enough money to offer any extra incentive to an opponent to drain himself.

Khan also had an HBO slot when he took on McCloskey and he turned down the HBO money to fight him overseas. By your measure there is "little financial sense" in that yet he has done it before.

Only difference is that Khan can't draw enough interest to make that kind of money in his own country even 2 years later.

If Khan is a winner and a champion the Brits will pay attention. Once he got KTFO a couple times and lost to Peterson all the casual fans gave up on him. He can't carry a card on his name alone in his own country any longer. He needs US network money now or he can't even be bothered to fight.

Comment

Man.. Lopez can't come down to 140 anymore? All of his fights before he whipped Ortiz were down at that weight or below. I don't see why he would have a problem going back down, especially for another high profile fight like Khan

Comment

Khans last fight with molina was a joke, the funny thing was Molina was catching him on the jaw and just rattling him enough, you see it when khan gets caught anywhere on the side of the head, his legs totally give out, but Molina just didn't have any pop whatsoever. Khan is in trouble, i think Maidana would end him right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post
                  Actually he is trying to and failing to flex political muscle.

Pretty funny that a guy who has been knocked the **** out in his last serious fight thinks he can still dictate every term and force potential opponents into catch weight bouts.
                  Khan brings more money to the table than most fighters out there, even most of the World Champions so he does have a right to flex against guys with a smaller fan base and no world titles.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktx View Post
                    Man.. Lopez can't come down to 140 anymore? All of his fights before he whipped Ortiz were down at that weight or below. I don't see why he would have a problem going back down, especially for another high profile fight like Khan
                    Might be that since he has a little bit of a name now and is likable...they don't see the rush or need to work hard to make the 140lb limit where he can possibly get more money at 147-154...unfortunately for Lopez's look, it can result in him just staying out of shape for paydays off of his Ortiz win and valiant effort vs Canelo namesake

Comment

Khan should have taken Lopez at 145.

He wants to go to 147 soon so it would have been a good opportunity to taste a higher weight without going all the way, especially against a guy like Lopez who isn't going to re-hydrate much (he looked terrible against Canelo) and whose fighting style doesn't involve throwing his weight around.

Comment

Working...
                      X