Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is floyd success due to the culture he appeals to, lack of intellect?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you're a floyd fan purely because of his boxing skills, i don't think the level of intellect has anything to do with it. the guys just have it and it's undeniable.

but if you extend that fanaticsm to defending his outrageous public attitude or even the way he promotes himself to get people watch his fights like a lot of his fans here do, then yeah you could put their mental aptitude in question.

Comment

Originally posted by Burner © View Post
      Just like Maniac310

They throw out words like thug, BET, Ghetto, EBT, Obamaphone, etc. A bunch of race baiting cowards.Maniac310 shouldve been banned months ago.
      is IP banning even a viable solution? look at that bum "thuggery" who keeps coming back with several accounts after being perma banned for the same **** over and over lol.

ever since the pac ko these losers have stepped up their racist trolling for whatever reason. read the threads made in january, notice it's the same 5 posters on the first page of every thread talking about floyd and flomos? they're purposefully shitting on this forum cause they think they're ruining a victory parade or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Body Movin' View Post
        is IP banning even a viable solution? look at that bum "thuggery" who keeps coming back with several accounts after being perma banned for the same **** over and over lol.

ever since the pac ko these losers have stepped up their racist trolling for whatever reason. read the threads made in january, notice it's the same 5 posters on the first page of every thread talking about floyd and flomos? they're purposefully shitting on this forum cause they think they're ruining a victory parade or something.
        co-signs....jmm koing pacroid has brought out the racist trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by Body Movin' View Post

Yeah I noticed he changes his name everyday in hopes that he somehow blends in haaannnggg/thuggery/Im so sorry all the same troll.

Yeah and you're right is the same 5-6 posters spamming the hell out of the forum.

Comment

Floyd mainly appeals to the lowest common denominator from a personality standpoint. He should appeal to everyone from a skills standpoint.

Mayweather/Ortiz was a prime example of Floyd appealing to the lowest common denominator. I took my uncle to the theater to watch the fight for his birthday cause watching a fight in a theater is an awesome experience. Big Mayweather fan, loves that guy. When the KO came, he was so upset and couldn't believe it. Elsewhere in the theater, there are guys screaming "that's how real n***as do it." He gets up and says "you just a stupid n***er if you think that's real."

I'm thinking like, this guy about to get me killed. lol. They just yapped off and carried on

Stark contrast, so Floyd is sorta an enigma. My uncle now doesn't want to watch a Mayweather fight. I begged him to watch the Cotto fight, because we're both big Cotto fans, but he was hesistant. I think Floyd's toned down behavior in the 24/7 redeemed Floyd for him a bit, but he's still salty that Floyd would stoop to such low levels in the Ortiz fight. IDK, but anyways this thread sure has been entertaining

Comment

Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
              Floyd mainly appeals to the lowest common denominator from a personality standpoint. He should appeal to everyone from a skills standpoint.

Mayweather/Ortiz was a prime example of Floyd appealing to the lowest common denominator. I took my uncle to the theater to watch the fight for his birthday cause watching a fight in a theater is an awesome experience. Big Mayweather fan, loves that guy. When the KO came, he was so upset and couldn't believe it. Elsewhere in the theater, there are guys screaming "that's how real n***as do it." He gets up and says "you just a stupid n***er if you think that's real."

I'm thinking like, this guy about to get me killed. lol. They just yapped off and carried on

Stark contrast, so Floyd is sorta an enigma. My uncle now doesn't want to watch a Mayweather fight. I begged him to watch the Cotto fight, because we're both big Cotto fans, but he was hesistant. I think Floyd's toned down behavior in the 24/7 redeemed Floyd for him a bit, but he's still salty that Floyd would stoop to such low levels in the Ortiz fight. IDK, but anyways this thread sure has been entertaining

well put, and thanks for sharing that story.

Comment

Certainly a lot of people dislike Mayweather because of his unfortunate personality, whether or not people also like him for it I'm not so sure.

Apparently it does appeal to a lot of people, and it is wrapped up in a particular package that is relatively prevalent in American culture, i.e. overt arrogance working in conjunction with conspicuous consumption.

Embracing materialism and ignorance instead of eschewing both is definitely a hallmark of the Mayweather brand, and it is hard to imagine that these traits don't appeal to a lot of his more emotional fans. hey couldn't possibly be fans of his in that sense if it didn't.

As such it does seem reasonable to assume Mayweather's personality and its aforementioned elements are part of his success. It does not automatically follow from this however, that this fanbase is poor and black or 'urban' as it's known nowadays.

Much of today's popular music that is marketed in this fashion is aimed at middle class adolescents, not the lower economic class 'urban' market. Artists are constructed to fit certain stereotypes that prevail in that market, and these stereotypes should be obvious to anyone.

Purely from my own experience, the most stringent critics of the type of persona exhibited by Mayweather have been black people. They deplore the perpetuation of extremely negative stereotypes of young black men that he engages in, even if on some level they still feel instinctively defensive when he is criticised by white people. Can't say if a lot of people feel this way or not but I can definitely see where they are coming from.

Comment

Wow, just wow. I wish I woke up everyday thinking about Floyd. And I'm a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by ElBossHogg™ View Post
                    its a culture that thrives off obscenities. If you doing the "right" thing then you are looked down upon and if you do the "wrong" things you are looked upon the COOL person.

Snitching is bad, Murdering someone is not.
                    Exactly. Look at Drake. A rapper who is clearly good. Butthey dont like this guy because he comes from a successful background. If he came from a home of theft, violence he wouldbe worshipped.

Comment

• Originally posted by NoLove View Post
                      Exactly. Look at Drake. A rapper who is clearly good. Butthey dont like this guy because he comes from a successful background. If he came from a home of theft, violence he wouldbe worshipped.
                      Who are they? And who exactly doesnt like Drake? Hes one of if not the most popular Rap artist right now.

Way to have no idea what you are talking about.

Comment

Working...
                      X