Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who do you reckon will be the new 'face' of boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 canelo alvarez
    2 andre ward
    3 adrian broner
    4 deontray wilder
    5 george groves

Comment

Originally posted by marvelousmatt View Post
      1 canelo alvarez
      2 andre ward
      3 adrian broner
      4 deontray wilder
      5 george groves
      I would imagine he would get exposed before he made it into stardom. I mean he's just garbage so for his sake I hope he does.

Comment

Canelo and Broner. If the two of them continue to win and Canelo stays at 154lb a fight between them would be huge.

Comment

Broner is a copycat. A bad one at that. Don't see him being a true superstar.

Comment

Are you a casual fan or something? It's obviously going to be Canelo, Chavez Jr, Broner and Ward. And you're forgetting that other guy who is also a household name in the US. People used to try disregard Manny as only appealing to Filipinos, yet now look where he is. Canelo is far more marketable than Pacman.

There's also the prospect of boxing being on network TV. If Adamek vs Cunningham can attract almost 4 million viewers on NBC in a timeslot that averages 500k viewers I think boxing might be doing okay. Boxing will only be truly safe when HBO and Showtime are out of the picture.

HBO might be willing to let Wilder play on NBC. He might not be destined for greatness but he's a big guy with a KO punch. Not every boxer has to be flawless, he might be able to simply put on a good show. With Tyson Fury vs Cunningham coming up I think the prospect of some of the US heavies fighting on network TV is becoming more likely. All this stuff about struggling to make stars would be forgotten if they only put some of the potential stars on network TV. They were gloating about Broner getting 1.4 million viewers on HBO, on NBC he could get about 10 million for one fight.
            Last edited by croz; 02-09-2013, 09:41 AM.

Comment

broner is the clearest candidate imo...he's aready destroying good opponents with ease, something canelo is yet to do...

and unlike floyd, he really does'nt need to be a villain to be star either ...
              Last edited by puga; 02-09-2013, 10:25 AM.

Comment

It wont be canelo unless he learns to speak English. We all know not speaking English has hindered a lot of boxers from crossing over to mass appeal.

Comment

probably canelo if he stays undefeated.....but he needs to start stepping up his competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordank View Post
                    It wont be canelo unless he learns to speak English. We all know not speaking English has hindered a lot of boxers from crossing over to mass appeal.

And don't even try pretend Many genuinely knows how to speak English. Extremely broken english doesn't count.

Comment

Ya'll keep sleeping on Tim but he already stated that he plans to fight at least 3 times this year and you know after he whoops Provid, he is only going to want to fight the top guys. That'll be 3 HBO headlines against the division leaders at 147. He might not garner the most sales but he'll soon be the most accomplished American boxer. Ward hasn't done shizz really and this year will be a wash for him.

Comment

Working...
                      X