No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Schaefer Says Making a Deal With Top Rank is Impossible

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
    To summarize what GB said in that contract, "Arum give me YOUR fighter of the year for money and stay away from anything to do with this big fight".
    No, what actually happened is that Arum said "Give me the rights to Abner Mares' services for peanuts."

GBP said "How about if you let us use Nonito and we will compensate you more than fairly for it?"

At which point Arum said "We can't make this happen because one guy is with HBO and one with Showtime. So sorry. What a shame."
    Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 02-09-2013, 02:30 PM.

Comment

This is getting way beyond a joke now. The matter of whose at fault the most is irrelevant right now. The overall bigger picture is downright pathetic, because this pattern of fights not being made is no longer confided to the top guys, but it has also spread to where we are right now when you have legitimate concerns whether a David Price vs Tyson Fury fight can possibly be made for ****s sake.

Basically here's the status quo; Fights which have the slightest hint of interest from outside places like this and/or will be anything remotely competitive will more than likely not get made. Things have became so messed up that people have to "demand" certain fights being made which 10-15 years ago would've been made without any snag or obstacles whatsoever.

I've been in boxing since I was 6 years old and I can't remember any other time like this one.

Comment

What I don't understand is why Arum thinks he need the power to call the fight off when he's basically being cut a check to go the hell away and stay outta the promotion. Its like this guy is incapable of comprehending not being in control.

BTW, where the hell was all this Top Rank HBO loyalty when Pac jumped ship to fight Mosley on Showtime?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          No, what actually happened is that Arum said "Give me the rights to Abner Mares' services for peanuts."

GBP said "How about if you let us use Nonito and we will compensate you more than fairly for it?"

At which point Arum said "We can't make this happen because one guy is with HBO and one with Showtime. So sorry. What a shame."
          I know what happened as far as what came out in the news.

It still doesn't change what I said. Arum was not about to give up his "fighter of the year" to GB.

Comment

But Arum expects GBP to give up the fighter they build up from scratch? For not even 3 million dollars?

Comment

Originally posted by Taylorslade View Post
              This is getting way beyond a joke now. The matter of whose at fault the most is irrelevant right now. The overall bigger picture is downright pathetic, because this pattern of fights not being made is no longer confided to the top guys, but it has also spread to where we are right now when you have legitimate concerns whether a David Price vs Tyson Fury fight can possibly be made for ****s sake.

Basically here's the status quo; Fights which have the slightest hint of interest from outside places like this and/or will be anything remotely competitive will more than likely not get made. Things have became so messed up that people have to "demand" certain fights being made which 10-15 years ago would've been made without any snag or obstacles whatsoever.

I've been in boxing since I was 6 years old and I can't remember any other time like this one.
              Promoters are gonna do what they do. The bigger issue is why fighters at the top level of the sport continue to sign multi-fight deals with promoters. Its like fights not being made in the 90s and 00s because of multi-fight network contracts. Fighters eventually started dealing with the networks on a fight-by-fight basis. They need to start doing the same with promoters. Much like the arrangement Floyd has with GBP and what Cotto has done since his TR contract expired.

Comment

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
                I know what happened as far as what came out in the news.

It still doesn't change what I said. Arum was not about to give up his "fighter of the year" to GB.
                Arum may soon come to regret not letting Donaire do the Mares fight much like he probably secretly regrets putting Pac out there for a 4th JMM and pissing away a guaranteed $40M to fight Floyd. Because I think Rigondeaux stylistically presents a helluva lot more problems for Donaire than Mares would.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                  Why do people pretend that Golden Boy aren't every bit as awful as Top Rank?
                  Nobody is as bad as Bob Arum , Bob has wrecked so many great match ups because of his Im the boss attitude , how you can stick up for Arum after whats gone down over all these years is beyond me .

Comment

The Networks and Belt Organizations are the ones that need to push for them to make some fights with each other

Promoters should not be running boxing like this

Comment

F@k SLOB ARUM. HE RUINED THE BIGGEST FIGHT IN BOXING HISTORY!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X