No announcement yet.

Cotto Looking for New Trainer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -PANDA- View Post
    '07-'08 cotto was elite...his consecutive wins over almost a dozen former, current and future world world champions + going undefeated against them put him there...so to say he was never elite is nonsense imho, he had a better resume than martinez has now

it's not just my opinion either...hbo made a claim before the margarito fight that in the absence of mayweather at the time, if he beat him he'd be #1 p4p

on topic: cotto really does need a new trainer, as I've said before pedro is a great therapist as he has the ability to raise confidence in a fighter but he simply doesn't have the experience needed for the pro game...his gameplan for trout was all wrong and it was abundantly clear he placed too much faith into cotto's power which backfired horribly

I'd like to see cotto reconcile with evangalista even though I do think he's past his prime he could still become a champ again
    Subjective argument. We thought of Cotto as elite and his fans were clamoring for Pac and Mayweather, but how did those fights turn out?

For me the word elite is like saying best in the world. Cotto was never top of the list for me lb4lb so he wasn't elite.

I don't see Cotto beating any of the real champs at 154 or 147 anymore. He might get a belt some other way but if he fights Canelo, Martinez or the best at those weights, he loses.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
      Subjective argument. We thought of Cotto as elite and his fans were clamoring for Pac and Mayweather, but how did those fights turn out?

For me the word elite is like saying best in the world. Cotto was never top of the list for me lb4lb so he wasn't elite.

I don't see Cotto beating any of the real champs at 154 or 147 anymore. He might get a belt some other way but if he fights Canelo, Martinez or the best at those weights, he loses.
      Your talking about current Cotto who is no longer elite and probably can't hang anymore. Prime Cotto was certainly elite.

And the irony of your post is that in your second argument, you say "Cotto was never top of the list for me" which of course is highly subjective. A universal acceptance far outweighs a singular ideal.

And Mayweather/Cotto of 2012 certainly leads credence that prime for prime, those two would have been a 50/50 fight, no shame in losing. Shame it never happened.

Comment

So this is how it is in boxing??lose a fight,fire the trainer?

Comment

Originally posted by El C@cique@PR View Post
          Fuck outta here with this shit!!

Martinez yes Cotto no? hahahahah
          Marquez and Cotto's career are comparable, only thing Marquez hve to hang on, is his last fight!! Please stop it bro!!
          JMM's a ATG

Cotto is barely a hall of famer

Comment

didn't he claim that he would be with the Cuban 'til the end?

Cotto is an amusing fellow.

Comment

Originally posted by thuggery View Post
              Didn't that clown Virgil Hunter pretty much put Cotto's trainer on blast for making him train in high altitude?
              How is hunter a clown? But yea he did

Comment

Cotto was never elite. his ability was conjectured to be elite, but he never cemented himself in that category. he got his body snatched at his seeming peak by Margarito (let's not start in with unsupportable suppositions, please), taken to the wire by Clottey and utterly destroyed by Pacquiao. more recently, Cotto was flattered in his fight with Floyd Mayweather (who fought like was still goofing off in the sparring ring with Omar Henry for long periods), yet still got beaten down ultimately.

Comment

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
                  Cotto was never elite. his ability was conjectured to be elite, but he never cemented himself in that category. he got his body snatched at his seeming peak by Margarito (let's not start in with unsupportable suppositions, please), taken to the wire by Clottey and utterly destroyed by Pacquiao. more recently, Cotto was flattered in his fight with Floyd Mayweather (who fought like was still goofing off in the sparring ring with Omar Henry for long periods), yet still got beaten down ultimately.
                  Someone gets it. If you don't say Cotto is elite, he's somehow a bum. Cotto was a fantastic fighter but for me the word elite is "The best". He was never that.

Comment

Someone gets it. If you don't say Cotto is elite, he's somehow a bum. Cotto was a fantastic fighter but for me the word elite is "The best". He was never that.
                    The best is purely singular. There can only be one "The Best"

Elite is a class of fighters in boxing terms. Cotto clearly belongs in the class of elite fighters over the last 10 years. The "Best" can be narrowed down to one or two. Now, he's not among that class, but there was a time that it was no question he was pound for pound among the best in the world. Even now, though no longer elite, it will take a remarkable fighter to beat him. I think that is enough to show his class.

Comment

The only champ at 147 that I do not see Cotto beating is Mayweather

Cotto could beat Marquez, Bradley and Alexander.

@ 154 it is a 50/50 chance
                      Canelo, Trout, and Bundrage

Comment

Working...
                      X