No announcement yet.

Why is Floyd held to a higher standard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoxingFollower View Post
    No Pac is not expected to fight these guys...Floyd is.

I think alot of fans need to go back and watch Roberto Duran, one of the greatest of all time, he FOUGHT everyone. He won some and lost some.

But he lived.....he lived to fight another day.
    Well no kidding, he's "only" in his 5th weight class. And he's meant to be #1 at that weight, why shouldn't he face them? I mean how much credit should a guy with his credentials at 154 get for beating the most protected fighter in boxing, Canelo?

Comment

Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
      God, you couldn't be more wrong. Him beating 6 heads Lewis was a huge deal at the time, and had people on notice. Cintron was undefeated at the time, and was just as marketable. Power punching, long, PR fighter. The fight was to determine who the next potential star of WW was going to be.

You seem to forget how big this fight was at the time. Just because, you're trying to prop up Baldomir's status, doesn't mean the Margarito/Cintron fight was HUGE. In the boxing community, and the whole Mexico/PR rivalry.

Who was better than Margs at the time, besides Paull Williams (too green)? Cotto?
      being a big part of the pr/mexico rivalry doesn't make it a fight to determine the best at 147. Maybe I am undervaluing the 6 heads win but espn hyped the fight a lot but it wasn't about who was the best at ww. Zab and cory spinks decided that.

a fight that sells about 225k ppvs with espn marketing and promoting it isn't HUGE!!

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
        Well no kidding, he's "only" in his 5th weight class. And he's meant to be #1 at that weight, why shouldn't he face them? I mean how much credit should a guy with his credentials at 154 get for beating the most protected fighter in boxing, Canelo?
        Im agreeing with you that he SHOULD face them. What are you saying?

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFollower View Post
          Im agreeing with you that he SHOULD face them. What are you saying?
          I'm explaining it's not a higher standard. If he's judged by the standard of a 2x legit 154 champ, he comes up short.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
            being a big part of the pr/mexico rivalry doesn't make it a fight to determine the best at 147. Maybe I am undervaluing the 6 heads win but espn hyped the fight a lot but it wasn't about who was the best at ww. Zab and cory spinks decided that.

a fight that sells about 225k ppvs with espn marketing and promoting it isn't HUGE!!
            I remember watching the Zab/Cory fights live on Showtime PPV. It was more like, a feather fisted Cory Spinks vs. Zab Judah (expected to win, but was too dumb in the first fight).

Anyone with half a brain cell could've told you Margs/P-Will would've decimated Zab or Cory.

That was not to determine the best at 147. Not by a mile.
            Last edited by Scarcaztic; 02-05-2013, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
              I'm explaining it's not a higher standard. If he's judged by the standard of a 2x legit 154 champ, he comes up short.
              Well in that case tell the Thread Starter that, he's the one that argues that fighting someone your supposed to fight is holding FMJ to a higher standard.

I didn't start the thread son.

Comment

Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
                I remember watching the Zab/Cory fights live on Showtime PPV. It was more like, a feather fisted Cory Spinks vs. Zab Judah (expected to win, but was too dumb in the first fight).

Anyone with half a brain cell could've told you Margs/P-Will would've decimated Zab or Cory.

That was not to determine the best at 147. Not by a mile.
                again, at the time margs and pwill wasn't that. Thats all I'm saying.

As for who wins, H2H maybe you are right. But pwill lost to quintana and margs lost to daniel santos so perhaps not.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K.A View Post
                  Floyd is an underachiever, Pac is an overachiever. Pac made a name for himself beating fighters he wasn't supposed to beat, Floyd beat up on the guys he was supposed to beat.
                  Thus showing the talent disparity when Floyd would be favored over everyone whereas Pacquiao would only be favored over "most"(Which ain't bad).

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
                    Baldo had the better win at the time. Margs wasn't the man. would I pick Margs over Baldo H2H, yes. but baldo still beat the lineal champ and that has to make him the man at 147 at the time.
                    So by this you say that Roy Jones Jr. was never the man at 175. Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by A.K.A View Post
                      Floyd is an underachiever, Pac is an overachiever. Pac made a name for himself beating fighters he wasn't supposed to beat, Floyd beat up on the guys he was supposed to beat.
                      HAHAHAHA this is such a dumbass train of thought. Who really between 140-154 would be favored to beat PBF? Who really is PBF supposed to lose to?

Comment

Working...
                      X