No announcement yet.

Nigel Benn: "I wish I had Calzaghe's power"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by daggum View Post
    no one wins when they are on boxingscene. we all lose.

all of eubanks knockdowns weren't balanced related. you gave me single punches that eubank took. should i cut out single punches that marquez took? or that khan took? that doesn't cover an entire career or tell the whole story of someones chin. throughout eubank's entire career he didn't demonstrate a great chin especially since his competition was pretty sub par. in the most important fights he was dropped and hurt. his chin is between khan's and sven ottke's.
    some just lose harder than others, then, I guess.

most of the knockdowns you cited owed significantly to balance (and one was a bodyshot), and Eubank rose from them unhurt. the exception being when he fell to Watson, which was a KD forced by accumulation after he'd been tattooed to head and body by a solid puncher toward the end of an already gruelling fight.

the clip i posted of Chris eating that hook was an afterthought tacked onto my post. it wasn't the sole basis of my argument, merely one of many examples of him eating a huge shot that would have felled a lot of men. there were multiple points made in the main body of the post that were passed over by you.

but i would argue that a clip like this holds up better as evidence of Chris having a great chin,

than this holds up as evidence of Chris having a less than great chin,

putting Eubank only a step away from Khan in a discussion about punch-resistance is very crass. anybody who followed his career knows that he proved himself able to take shots much more capably and to absorb much more punishment over the course of a gruelling fight than Amir.

as for taking punches from Benn and being staggered left and right, i'd love you to present some examples. i saw Eubank being hit flush and hard by a man whose punches had hurt very durable guys like DeWitt and Barkley, and i saw him take them very stoically and unflinchingly for the most part. late on against Watson, yes, Chris was hurt and staggered - he was being battered by a relentless Watson, after all.

i, too, wish Eubank hadn't had as safe a career as he did for the large part of his prime. but the quality of his chin was sorely tested by fellows who could punch (in Benn X2 and Thompson X2, from both of whom he ate a lot of tremendous shots) and by a solid hitter who put a beating on him (in Watson). he showed himself to have a tremendous chin.

no luck on the JuanMa thing. bah.
    Last edited by S. Saddler 1310; 02-03-2013, 02:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha & Omega View Post
      Man people love hating on undefeated fighters in here...Calzaghe and Floyd get so much hate its ridiculous. Guess when you are that good the haters hate.

Weird though that Calzaghe has "no power" yet he has a higher KO% than: Kendall Holt, Manny Pac, Vivian Harris, Hasim Rahman, Shane Mosley, Ricardo Mayorga, Roy Jones Jr....who are/were all known as big time punchers. Sometimes you have to actually know the facts before you speak
      Haha right and over 60% of Calzaghes ko's were premature, why are you even talking about floyd? Floyd is an amazing fighter, comparing Calzaghe to floyd is embarrassing for floyd, one look at my sig confirms this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Col. Hans Landa View Post
        comparing Calzaghe to floyd is embarrassing for floyd
        pretty much.

Comment

• I gotta say, i find it strange any internet warrior can criticise Joe Calzaghe for slapping, when they know damn well just one of his 'slaps' would put them on queer street.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mud View Post
            I gotta say, i find it strange any internet warrior can criticise Joe Calzaghe for slapping, when they know damn well just one of his 'slaps' would put them on queer street.
            If you're referring to me.. I'm not criticising,I'm merely making a case against the evidence of the thread... Why make a thread without some sort of debate?
            Instead of calling people you know nothing about intenet warriors.. why not get involved in the thread and make a case for Calzaghe having more power than people percieve

Comment

If you're referring to me.. I'm not criticising,I'm merely making a case against the evidence of the thread... Why make a thread without some sort of debate?
              Instead of calling people you know nothing about intenet warriors.. why not get involved in the thread and make a case for Calzaghe having more power than people percieve
              i love the juxtaposition between the rational balance of your post and the blazing troll-rhetoric in your sig. bravo, sir.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                Must of been smoking some good ****, even Johnny Nelson looks like hes about to burst out laughing.

You can't seriously for one damn second think any version of Calzaghe hit anywhere near as hard as Benn?
                Calzaghe could punch you're all just haters. All anyone in this forum knows about are his HBO fights. I have his entire career! Most of you don't even know who Benn is you just think he's some Euro guy that ducked Jones lol!!
                Last edited by "Smokin Sugar"; 02-03-2013, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Haha right and over 60% of Calzaghes ko's were premature, why are you even talking about floyd? Floyd is an amazing fighter, comparing Calzaghe to floyd is embarrassing for floyd, one look at my sig confirms this.
                  Hey did you know that Mayweather jr himself said that Calzaghe's performance against Lacy was the best display of boxing that he himself has ever seen?? I'm not making this up Floyd actually said that. So ya take that!

Comment

• Originally posted by "Smokin Sugar" View Post
                    Calzaghe could punch you're all just haters. All anyone in this forum knows about are his HBO fights. I have his entire career!

sorry, couldn't resist.

Comment

• Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
                      i love the juxtaposition between the rational balance of your post and the blazing troll-rhetoric in your sig. bravo, sir.
                      Haha thanks.. I don't really hate Calzaghe.. I've just thought he looks ridiculous when he fights regardless of whether he gets the win or not... Hopkins did embarrass him even though I think Calzaghe won by 1 round

Originally posted by "Smokin Sugar" View Post
                      Calzaghe could punch you're all just haters. All anyone in this forum knows about are his HBO fights. I have his entire career! Most of you don't even know who Benn is you just think he's some Euro guy that ducked Jones lol!!
                      ^^^ Claiming people know nothing about boxing because they don't share your views,ask Rockin where that got him. Can you show us your degree in boxing? or did you just find it in a joke lucky bag along with Joe Calzaghes entire career on VHS

Originally posted by "Smokin Sugar" View Post
                      Hey did you know that Mayweather jr himself said that Calzaghe's performance against Lacy was the best display of boxing that he himself has ever seen?? I'm not making this up Floyd actually said that. So ya take that!
                      Never heard this before.. can you upload video evidence? Best boxing display ever?? really???
                      yeah you're right thats right up there with Cassius Clay beating Liston in 64
                      This one tops Ray Leonard outboxing Hagler...

oops did you notice the two fights I compared Calzaghe vs Lacy too have a total of four ATG's?

If my calculations are correct Calzaghe vs Lacy has zero ATG's.. just one Hall of Famer at best
                      Mayweather could call a good cup of Necafe coffee diarrhea after I've taken a sip and I'll spit it all over your face

Comment

Working...
                      X