Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better Resume? Donaire or Mares???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In 2012 Donaire fought 2 guys in their last career fights (Arce & an inactive Nishioka). He fought a WVjr. Who has little ametuer expirence & isn't all that special

Mares fights a guy (Moreno) Who is as slick as they come & is in his prime. Many were saying on here Mares would lose. Moreno alone was better than Donaire's last 4 opponents.

Comment

Nonito has the better resume, both at 122 and on the whole
      pissed they let this fight slip, but it can still go down at 126
      hopefully, Mares does win a strap at 126 when he jumps up
      after Nonito wrecks Rigo, it's time for them to get it done

Comment

Originally posted by deejd View Post
        You have to evaluate Narvaez strength of opposition going into his fight with Donaire... which wasn't strong at all. Nobody was picking Narvaez to pose any threat to Donaire for the obvious reason. Great, so Donaire and Wright have something in common.

Mathebula... enough said.

I almost forgot, you were one of the main ones on NSB spearheading the "Nishioka is legit and will be a challenge for Donaire" committee.

Mares had a better year than Donaire the last two years solely based off quality of opposition, point blank. To make matters worse, Mares just tried to make the fight with Donaire [which Mares would lose] and it was shot down. Rigo has yet to be signed, so maybe they'll re-hype Darchinyan so you can be on here promoting it.
        a two weight world champion, was undefeated, and was and still is ranked #1 in his division (super flyweight)...i'm sure he's doing something right...

what's so bad about mathebula? he gave caballero (who was ranked #1 at the time at 122 i think) a tough fight and lost a close and some say controversial decision...and he had just won the IBF world title by beating takalani ndlovu. he's awkward as hell, yes, but he gave everyone he fought a tough fight.

if mares had a better year last year than how come he didn't win FOTY by BWAA, ESPN, Sports Illustrated, & Yahoo! Sports for 2012? was he even in the running for FOTY 2012 by any of these organizations?

Comment

Originally posted by SoggyLungs View Post
          a two weight world champion, was undefeated, and was and still is ranked #1 in his division (super flyweight)...i'm sure he's doing something right...

what's so bad about mathebula? he gave caballero (who was ranked #1 at the time at 122 i think) a tough fight and lost a close and some say controversial decision...and he had just won the IBF world title by beating takalani ndlovu. he's awkward as hell, yes, but he gave everyone he fought a tough fight.

if mares had a better year last year than how come he didn't win FOTY by BWAA, ESPN, Sports Illustrated, & Yahoo! Sports for 2012? was he even in the running for FOTY 2012 by any of these organizations?
          Again, evaluate his strength of opposition going into the fight with Donaire. It's simple math.

Yeah, the Mathebula that lost to a guy that got dominated by Jason Litzau. The same Mathebula who never leaves Africa. Kind of like the guy who never leaves his backyard in Japan that you kept trying to brainwash yourself into being legit. As far as Mares not winning; it's easy, find a guy you like that's promoted by a promoter you're in favor with and line that fighter up with cans and shells. Didn't you get the memo with pacquiao?

Comment

Donaire is superior to Mares in every way. I dont understand why supremely gifted boxers like Donaire and Floyd get undue hate on this site. Donaire would severely outclass Mares. Rigondeaux would too.

Comment

Again, evaluate his strength of opposition going into the fight with Donaire. It's simple math.

Yeah, the Mathebula that lost to a guy that got dominated by Jason Litzau. The same Mathebula who never leaves Africa. Kind of like the guy who never leaves his backyard in Japan that you kept trying to brainwash yourself into being legit. As far as Mares not winning; it's easy, find a guy you like that's promoted by a promoter you're in favor with and line that fighter up with cans and shells. Didn't you get the memo with pacquiao?
              donaire beat a guy that was undefeated, a two weight world champ, and ranked #1 in his division..imo that's a nice win..hardly mediocre or not worthy of being mentioned.

and mathebula fought caballero at 122 where he was the unified WBA super world super bantamweight champ and IBF super bantamweight world champ, and i believe was ranked #1 in the division...it's all about when they fight, remember?

and nishioka KO'ed jhonny gonzalez in mexico..and he was still highly regarded by many boxing writers and was still ranked #1 in the division. so donaire shouldn't have fought the guy who many had ranked #1 and was considered the real WBC champ (was only stripped of the title)?

Comment

I would have to go with Donaire. When he knocked out the raging bull I was like oh f**k. When he knocked out Montiel I was like damn and at 122 the Flash did his thing no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  Mares slightly.

The quantity is there for Donaire, but if you cut the bull**** and see through all that crap, Mares has the quality on his side.

Darchinyan, Moreno, Agebko 2x, Draw with Perez, Morel.

Darchinyan, Montiel, Mathebula, Nishioka...after these 4, you basically have to reach your head in to a black hole and start picking mediocre fighters to list; Arce, Vazquez, Marquez, Sydorenko, Mthalane.

Like I said, the quantity of "names" are there for Donaire.

Just like the quantity of names is there for Wladimir Klitschko vs let's say Bernard Hopkins, two of my favorite active fighters. Who's resume do you prefer to have; Trinidad, Tarver, Pavlik, Pascal, Winky, Johnson, Joppy, Allen, De La Hoya, Eastman, Echols, Vanderpool close fights with Calzaghe, Taylor, Dawson=quality. Potentially add Cloud there too.

Or do you want quantity; Haye, Byrd 2x, Peter 2x, Chagaev, Gomez, Thompson, Ibragimov, Brewster, Austin, Brock, Rahman, McCline, Mercer, Botha, Barrett.
                  Arce, Vazquez, Marquez, Sydorenko, Mthalane, Narvaez all are better than Morel, maybe not Sydorenko at that point. They're just as legit as Agbeko or Perez. And Vic was sub 500 at 118 and that was his only tossup loss.

Comment

Originally posted by SoggyLungs View Post
                    donaire beat a guy that was undefeated, a two weight world champ, and ranked #1 in his division..imo that's a nice win..hardly mediocre or not worthy of being mentioned.

and mathebula fought caballero at 122 where he was the unified WBA super world super bantamweight champ and IBF super bantamweight world champ, and i believe was ranked #1 in the division...it's all about when they fight, remember?

and nishioka KO'ed jhonny gonzalez in mexico..and he was still highly regarded by many boxing writers and was still ranked #1 in the division. so donaire shouldn't have fought the guy who many had ranked #1 and was considered the real WBC champ (was only stripped of the title)?
                    Again, evaluate the strength of Narvaez' opposition. If you can't do that, then I'll take it you're just passing it off as promotion... kind of like Nishi being the best opposition for Donaire to fight last year.

Did he beat Caballero? Did Caballero get schooled by Litzau? I don't care about weight, I care about opposition, that's the whole point.

Gonzalez was already contemplating retirement at the time he fought Nishioka and he couldn't make '22 anymore. More important than whom is when. Asfar as fighting him; no, especially after how pedestrian he looked against a faded Marquez after fighting nobodies in his backyard for years.

Comment

Caballero was Ring p4p top 10, unified titlist at 122 when he robbed Mathebula. So what if he lost years later to Litzau 2 divisions up, does Hopkins suck cause RJJ went out in 1 to Danny Green?

Mathebula doesn't leave SA cause he doesn't get the opportunities genius.

Hey how do you feel about Mares winning his 2nd belt at 120 catchweight against #10 rated 118er?

Comment

Working...
                      X