Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Tyson Fury in his prime yet?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fury is only 24? Damn he looks like hes 40 something.

Heavyweights get into their prime much later than the other divisions, usually. If he's prime now, then he has no way of even getting near to the Klitschkos.

Not sure what to think of him. Theres just things about him that make him a joke, as it were, even to casual fans.

My friend (who hardly watches boxing) asked me a few months ago, if I knew who that guy was who uppercutted himself in the face. To this day, I do not know how it is physically possible to uppercut yourself in the face. Obviously hes improved since then, but managing to not hit yourself is an improvement there, so its not really saying much.

Secondly, he clearly ducked Price. It's an irrefutable fact. He dropped the British/Commonwealth titles saying he wants to aim higher, then fought for the Irish title. It makes you question his confidence in himself.

As with Price, i'm not sold on his chin. Unless you're David Haye, you can't get away with having a terrible chin and not get knocked out by Wlad.

I guess propping him up right now is only for the fans of his, as he hasn't proven himself against anybody of note (in regards to the world title). From a boxing perspective, he has a lot of things to learn and is a long way off winning any major title. Maybe the Cunningham fight will help, though i'm not sold on him either.

Comment

Originally posted by chav View Post
      I used to laugh at Fury and thought the only thing he had good going for him was his name, but he's actually impressed me with how well he's come on

I remember Tunney rating Fury on here and reading Emmanuel Steward rate him along with others and I didn't get it. I can admit they saw things I didn't. I saw a goofy fat kid and had the image of his self uppercut ingrained in my mind, but he's improved massively and i dont think hes in his prime
      Fury has it in him to win everybody over and become one of the more beloved British heavyweights.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
        Secondly, he clearly ducked Price. It's an irrefutable fact.
        no, it is not. there are two sides to every tale and many complications and entanglements involved, and i would much sooner believe that both camps are really quite content to let the projected Fury-Price bout build for a later date. Price's team are naturally keen to associate their fighter's name with a much better known fighter, and so Maloney makes a lot of noise regarding Fury. Fury's bouts have been seen by millions, casuals who only watch three fights a year know him, small children know him. by contrast, Price is quite anonymous outside the society of British boxing fans, he's been making a name by being associated with Fury as much as by his displays in the ring, and that really is irrefutable.

Fury is not apprehensive about Price. he has no reason to be. he dropped this man when he was little more than a schoolboy and Price was a man (something i see as a more potentially poignant and prophetic incident than taking a decision on the amateur system).
        Last edited by S. Saddler 1310; 01-31-2013, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
          he dropped this man when he was little more than a schoolboy and Price was a man (something i see as a more potentially poignant and prophetic incident than taking a decision on the amateur system).
          ...and what did Craig Watson do to Amir Khan?

Great point.

Comment

no, it is not. there are two sides to every tale and many complications and entanglements involved, and i would much sooner believe that both camps are really quite content to let the projected Fury-Price bout build for a later date. Price's team are naturally keen to associate their fighter's name with a much better known fighter, and so Maloney makes a lot of noise regarding Fury. Fury's bouts have been seen by millions, small children know him. Price is quite anonymous by contrast, he's been making a name off of Fury as much as his displays in the ring, and that really is irrefutable.

Fury is not in the least bit. he dropped this man when he was little more than a schoolboy and Price was a man. something i see as a more potentially poignant and prophetic incident than taking a decision on the amateur scoring system.
            Yet Price was happy calling him out?

As for the millions of people know him, I don't see it, and i'm from the UK - lived in both England and Northern Ireland. Price appeals to a certain fanbase, I.e the Northern english sports fanbase, much like Hatton, though to a smaller extent obviously. Fury does not have anything like that. Neither are household names, and only dedicated boxing fans know who either of them are. Small children know him? I'm sure a few small children in Liverpool know who Price is too. You're making him out to be a star, when he doesn't have any considerable fanbase. I'd argue that Price is more well-known - he's mentioned on Boxnation, Sky Sports - the big boxing outlets in the UK. Fury has Channel 5, which is and nearly always has been a minor channel here. There's a reason Price has the bigger fight coming up, and its nothing to do with skill.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not a fan of either fighter. Fury could beat Price for all I know, or care. But does it mean anything in regards to a world title? Probably not, both are a long way away from winning anything major.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
              ...and what did Craig Watson do to Amir Khan?

Great point.

which you misapprehended. but i accept the praise all the same.

Comment

Yet Price was happy calling him out?
                i'm not sure what you're saying here. Maloney was doing most of the barking.

As for the millions of people know him, I don't see it, and i'm from the UK - lived in both England and Northern Ireland
                i could only assume you were living under a rock and never socialized.

you don't have to have 'fans' to be a star, just interested parties period. household names Eubank and Benn were built up on terrestrial TV. millions have seen Fury's fights on C5, 'minor' terrestrial channel or not, and that is a fact. millions will not see David Price's next fight on BoxNation. while Fury is not yet a superstar, he's certainly a very well known figure of public intrigue, is known to men, women, boys and girls the nation over, is much more famous than Price and brings more to the table. this is not even arguable.

i also don't see how Price has the bigger fight coming up, when Fury is about to launch himself in the US against a quality American opponent who still has a lot left (judging by his last showing) at Madison Square Garden.
                Last edited by S. Saddler 1310; 01-31-2013, 08:46 AM.

Comment

i should add,

he's mentioned on Boxnation, Sky Sports - the big boxing outlets in the UK.
                  emphasis on big boxing outlets. boxing's stars are ultimately generated from casual interest, not the interest of the more avowed fans of the sport who subscribe to BoxNation and watch Sky Sports' boxing magazine show. refer to my statement, "outside the society of British boxing fans".

Comment

check out youtube and see how many cellphone-camera videos have been uploaded, by non-boxing related accounts, of Tyson Fury's address to David Price on that 'minor' terrestrial station.

David Price owes Tyson Fury a big thank-you for this big promotional favour,

that is Tyson Fury building a projected future fight between the pair. he is not in the least apprehensive of meeting Price, in my opinion. he knows full well that it is an inevitability if they both continue to be victorious over the next year or so.

Comment

i'm not sure what you're saying here. Maloney was doing most of the barking.

i could only assume you were living under a rock and never socialized.

you don't have to have 'fans' to be a star, just interested parties period. household names Eubank and Benn were built up on terrestrial TV. millions have seen Fury's fights on C5, 'minor' terrestrial channel or not, and that is a fact. millions will not see David Price's next fight on BoxNation. while Fury is not yet a superstar, he's certainly a very well known figure of public intrigue, is known to men, women, boys and girls the nation over, is much more famous than Price and brings more to the table. this is not even arguable.

i also don't see how Price has the bigger fight coming up, when Fury is about to launch himself in the US against a quality American opponent who still has a lot left (judging by his last showing) at Madison Square Garden.
                      Why start with a lame personal attack? If you want to argue properly, you should know that attacking me and not my argument isn't the way to go about it. Thats just embarrassing. Thats not an answer to my experience over here in the UK. In boxing circles throughout the country, I've heard more talk over Price than I have for Fury.

As for your Channel 5 thing, yes people may have watched Channel 5. But you are confusing the idea of people watching the channel, and people watching Fury. Do you think millions of people were watching it, for Fury? More people watch Channel 5 than Boxnation, but they aren't boxing fans, theres so many other reasons why they were watching it. I bet most people tuned it only out of intrigue for the sport, and won't do it regularly - a usual scenario surrounding Channel 5. Please show me statistics were higher amounts of people viewed Fury fighting each time, and maybe your argument will stand. As for Nigel, Benn, yes I do agree they were stars of terrestrial channels. But today is a very different world, everything is now digital here, and Channel 5 is not the port of call for any sports minded person - Sky Sports is. Back then, even the BBC had boxing up there. You can't be a Sports star in the UK without appealing to the mass here lol. Are you from the UK at all?

Boxnation has thousands of Boxing fans. Exposure on Boxnation is going to get you a lot further in the sport than a Channel 5 slot lol, much further.

As for the bolded above, can you provide any evidence of that? Tyson Fury is not a well known sports personality over here at all. He's that guy who sometimes appears on Channel 5.
                      Last edited by techliam; 01-31-2013, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X