No announcement yet.

Adrien Broner attempts to bench press 235 lbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
    I have seen that but Frazier never weight trained, Broner does!
    For a guy that weight trains that is some p1ss poor stuff.

Also Frazier had to clean & jerk with like 70kg or something which is a huge ask for somebody who don't lift and its a wonder he didn't wreck his rotator cuff.
    All the other contestants he was against, lifted as a part of their regime & one guy was like a champion rower so obviously he was strong as hell.
    It isn't piss poor. It's Broner which is why you're offering up your pathetic opinion. You had to say something fake and negative. Broner is a 135lb fighter. Doesn't matter what he walks around at. Fighters lift weights, but they don't lift like body builders.

Comment

what you're going to be burning will depend a good deal on what your body composition looks like when you get started.

if a skinny guy with decent musculature starts to drastically decrease his intake of food he'll lose muscle. roy jones had huge muscles. when he dropped from 192 to 175 to fight antonio tarver after ruiz he lost mostly muscle while training to be a boxer, which involves a ton of what you guys call "cardio." the body needs to survive on something. much of the calories you "burn" each day go to running your vital organs and generating body heat. if a fat guy does the same thing [eats a hell of a lot less,] he'll lose some muscle very slowly, but most of the weight lost will obviously be fat, which is the easiest for your body to cannibalize.
      Last edited by New England; 01-31-2013, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
        Have you ever heard the story about Joe Frazier being a contestant on a program, I forget which but it had lots of top athletes competing against each other. He ended up being the only one to fail to lift a weight.

I wonder who would've won if they had to fight?
        Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
        I have seen that but Frazier never weight trained, Broner does!
        For a guy that weight trains that is some p1ss poor stuff.

Also Frazier had to clean & jerk with like 70kg or something which is a huge ask for somebody who don't lift and its a wonder he didn't wreck his rotator cuff.
        All the other contestants he was against, lifted as a part of their regime & one guy was like a champion rower so obviously he was strong as hell.
        I would watch the whole thing, so you can see how Joe compared to other athletes. If you just want to see him, go to 1:40 and 2:55.

Comment

You can tell he doesn't lift weights very often just based off the fact that he has the 25 lb plates on the inside of the 45 lb plates on the bar.

That's amateur hour stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            what you're going to be burning will depend a good deal on what your body composition looks like when you get started.

if a skinny guy with decent musculature starts to drastically decrease his intake of food he'll lose muscle. roy jones had huge muscles. when he dropped from 192 to 175 to fight antonio tarver after ruiz he lost mostly muscle while training to be a boxer, which involves a ton of what you guys call "cardio." the body needs to survive on something. much of the calories you "burn" each day go to running your vital organs and generating body heat. if a fat guy does the same thing [eats a hell of a lot less,] he'll lose some muscle very slowly, but most of the weight lost will obviously be fat, which is the easiest for your body to cannibalize.
            What I know is you start burning fats after burning enough calories stored in your body which takes effect after around 30 minutes of exercise. You gain muscle mass on the part of the body you are trying to build. I'm not an expert on this but an exercise of any form actually build muscles IMO.

Comment

with all of his antics, i frequently forget just how good this kid is at boxing.

nobody is going to touch him at 135. miguel vasquez is the only real fight, and i can't stand vasquez' style.

we'll see just how good he is at 140 and 147. his body looks like that of a small, but not tiny welterweight. he is huge.

Comment

if a skinny guy with decent musculature starts to drastically decrease his intake of food he'll lose muscle. roy jones had huge muscles. when he dropped from 192 to 175 to fight antonio tarver after ruiz he lost mostly muscle while training to be a boxer, which involves a ton of what you guys call "cardio." the body needs to survive on something. much of the calories you "burn" each day go to running your vital organs and generating body heat. if a fat guy does the same thing he'll lose some muscle very slowly, but most of the weight lost will obviously be fat, which is the easiest for your body to cannibalize.
                Not sure what the point of this post is it's basically what the link says "Cardio does not burn muscle mass, crash diets and bad nutrition burn muscle".

"The reason that cardio has gotten a bad reputation for burning muscle is that most often, people couple drastic diets with cardio in their effort to “cut” after “bulking"

Comment

This is absolutely correct. Some of the guys arguing to the contrary seem to know what they're talking about otherwise, but they're wrong on this point. Bodybuilders (many of whom are on PEDs) avoid excessive cardio, because it is well known that it eats into muscle mass. Not only have I read many times over the years that this is so, but I've experienced the phenomena for myself many times over the years. Once you reach a low level of bodyfat, it becomes a challenge to avoid having your body cannibalize muscle tissue. It's not a myth.

Comment

Originally posted by -Lowkey- View Post
                    You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

Cardio does not burn muscle mass, crash diets and bad nutrition burn muscle mass. Cardio can actually help increases circulation and the increased nutrient flow by the muscle helps the muscles rebuild faster.

Cardio burning muscle is a silly myth.
                    Its not a silly myth, as long as your heartrate is in the fat burning zone, you don't consume proteins during cardio. You'll never see a serious weight lifter doing a fast paced run/jog, you see them practically walking on treadmills. Its no myth dude, why do you think marathon runners look like anorexic athletes with very little muscle mass?

Comment

Broner's starting to grow on me.....

He looks under 150lbs in the vid and was able to get 235 off of him.....I assume he didn't just walk in off the street, stretched and did it....props to the kid doing what a young millionaire (?) athlete should be doing - working hard at his craft and hanging/having fun with his folks.

Comment

Working...
                      X