No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Donaire vs. Mares: Full Contract Details Are Revealed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    How about that bribing charge he caught with the IBF a few years back?
    Yes he was. It was the accepted thing at the time, and the "cost of doing business". At least he told the truth under oath, which I believe several others at first didn't do. As a side note, I don't exactly know why, but lawyers, when nailed, nearly always tell the truth under oath, even if self-incriminating. Maybe they have a conditioned respect for sworn oaths because of their training.

When Arum got into boxing they were still sweeping up the remains of Mob control of the whole business. I actually remember that big scandal, it was against a guy who was in charge of the IBF, and it wasn't a lone case, there were about 40 of them. It was just that Arum was the most prominent and Foreman was involved, making it big news.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post

Sounds right up Bob's alley.
      I think I'll be glad when you two stop discussing me, although i know you're only kidding.

I don't think Arum was charged, just a witness.
      Last edited by edgarg; 01-29-2013, 07:58 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Did anybody catch this interview where Arum says Doniare is either fighting Rigondeaux (as expected) OR Darchinyan... Vic Darchinyan. Lol My jaw dropped when I heard that garbage from his mouth.

http://8countnews.com/index.php/8cn-podcast.html

Comment

• I said that the only way this fight happens is if Donaire makes it apparent that he wants it and demands it of his promoter. We know what the deal is. Donaire doesn't want it.

Comment

• Originally posted by edgarg View Post
            Very Well put, and brings up some of the points I was querying. I bdelieve that both Donaire and Top Rank will make far more for the expected Rigondeaux fight, and this this showing the "contract' was just a juvenile points scoring PR exercise that Golden Balls seems to love. Not a serious business thing at all, and we certainly know that boxing, the modern form of arena gladiators, is serious for those most involved.
            Yeah, I mean GBP isn't going to offer TR an amount that is better for TR as opposed to GBP, it should at least be close to a 50/50 split. They just kind of focused on the 3 million number as if that would be what Donaire would make to fight Mares, this is very much not the case.

How much money would be made from the HBO revenue alone I wonder? How much would be made from souvenir sales? I know they mentioned something about the souvenirs in there but by the time it's all said and done, GBP could be making 10-15 million off of this fight, who knows how much. I mean if GBP saw fit to mention revenues up to a year after the fight takes place that must mean that they will likely be making a substantial amount of money for the months immediately following the fight.

Arum is a greedy dude and why would he consider an offer like that when he could just have 2 of his own guys fight and reap all the profits? Arum would be seeing like 400K or around there by the time it's all said and done. You have $3M with taxes getting taken out so you are looking at like $2.250M (assuming 25%) before TR even gets their hands on it. Say $1M or more goes to Donaire and Arum is left with $1.250M. After he deducts his investment throughout the process (not sure about all those details but I can imagine there are tons of taxes, filing fees, doctor fees, etc. that have to be paid) he will be left with no more than 500 best case.

$12,000,000 $500,000........doesn't take a genius to see that.

Comment

Yes he was. It was the accepted thing at the time, and the "cost of doing business". At least he told the truth under oath, which I believe several others at first didn't do. As a side note, I don't exactly know why, but lawyers, when nailed, nearly always tell the truth under oath, even if self-incriminating. Maybe they have a conditioned respect for sworn oaths because of their training.

When Arum got into boxing they were still sweeping up the remains of Mob control of the whole business. I actually remember that big scandal, it was against a guy who was in charge of the IBF, and it wasn't a lone case, there were about 40 of them. It was just that Arum was the most prominent and Foreman was involved, making it big news.

lol gotta love when top rank pr visits boxingscene

Comment

• Originally posted by rey guey View Post
                I just skimed it but I saw a few major hang ups.

1. Donaire isn't allowed any sponsers, no banners in the ring or anything like that and who knows what kind of sponsers he has in the Philipines

2. Golden Boy will own all all of the rights to the fight, so if TR wanted to show it in a Donaire highlight clip in the future they'd have to pay GBP.

3. Golden Boy would basically have full and free access to all Donaire footage for free.

I know this doesn't seem like much but I doubt Donaire's sponsers will like this deal.
                1. He is allowed sponsor logos, but they just have to be approved first to make sure there is no conflict with an event sponsor. For example the promotion wouldnt want to have a sponsorship deal with Pepsi and have Donaire put Coke on his trunks

2. Golden Boy would own the rights for a year. After that, Top Rank would get library and distribution rights.

3. What harm is there in Golden Boy getting a few highlights of Donaire to promote the fight better?

Comment

• Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                  That's exactly what it means. Yes, it could happen in a month before June, but that's up to solely Golden Boy. If Donaire doesn't want to fight on June and Golden Boy does, there's nothing he could do about it.
                  Then Top Rank should submit a counter offer changing the date to "before May 30th"

Comment

It might be assumed that Donaire doesn't read the contracts all the way through. It might be assumed that he has his lawyer read them and advise him as to their contents which are important and relevant to him. So it might be assumed that his lawyer did so, and pointed out to Donaire 20 or 30 of the most damaging aspects for him, of the contract.

What difference does it make whether Donaire said "a letter" a note" a "contract", "a document" or "a few sheets" or what.

This is just another "round" in the PR crap that promoters throw out to "score points" and for the edification of the simple fans who love to be titillated and feel "on the inside" of these great goings on.

The real importance is in "the details" which we will never see, and "the signatures" which are not on the contract. The contract was with TOP RANK, not with Donaire, and do you really think that any self-respecting idiot (even a lawyer-idiot, I've known some) would advise his client to sign a ready-made, legally binding contract constructed by his bitter rival, which would tie him hand-and-foot for ever, as this contract would have done?? Especially a client who was a Harvard Law School Summa Cum Laude....??

In post #102 i believe I dealt with the points on which I wanted to coment .
                    This was not a bout contract for Nonito, it was a provision of services agreement between GBP and Top Rank. The actual bout contract that Donaire would eventually sign would have been prepared by Top Rank, not GBP, because GBP wouldnt care less what terms were worked out between Donaire and TR as long as nothing conflicted with the Provision of Services Agreement......

Comment

• Donaire is ducking

Comment

Working...
                      X