Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Mayweather ever fight an opponent we really want him to?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Floyd to fight Margarito he had to re-sign with Top Rank
    Margarito wasn't worth **** at that time,people forget Floyd was the fighter being avoided until he started bringing in the big money

Comment

Mosley Cotto Oscar and Hatton all could have fought Floyd sooner but chose not to
      Pacquiao could have in 2010 but walked away

Comment

how is that possible when even now everyone has a different idea on who he should fight. who should he be fighting in may? someone give me an honest answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rk16 View Post
          For Floyd to fight Margarito he had to re-sign with Top Rank
          Margarito wasn't worth **** at that time,people forget Floyd was the fighter being avoided until he started bringing in the big money
          The offer was made by Arum before Floyd fought Zab.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...dan&id=2262853

Comment

Probably not. Once he does it's disregarded (ahem, Shane).

Comment

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
              I believe you are referring to Larry Merchant's interview with Mosley not an interview of Floyd seriously wanting the fight. Mosley said "If the money is right OK but I already had told my family and Oscar's that we would be taking a vacation." Mosley said he preferred and asked Floyd lets do it a few months later. Floyd said NO!!! So you are wrong in saying that Mosley didn't want it back then as you stated. There are interviews of Mosley wanting it back then!!!

Ironically, that is the same time Floyd could have fought Margarito. Again, Floyd said NO!

Funny that Mosley can't take a bit of time off (weeks not years like Floyd) or else he is ducking but Floyd fans don't dare call Floyd's fake retirements questionable!

When it comes to Floyd, talk is cheap. Floyd also said "Manny take the test and we have a fight". Manny agreed but Floyd put new roadblocks!!!

Yes, Floyd does fight for money not legacy/resume but then why are the same people coming here and saying that he doesn't cherry pick?
              Guess you couldn't dig up those pre-fight posts, huh? I'll still wait for you to dig them up so you don't look like a hypocrite. Find some posts where you stated Mayweather shouldn't fight Molsey because he was too old. Show where you argued with those insisting Mayweather was scared of Mosley if he didn't fight him because Mosley was too old.

Sorry dude, but Mosley was all over the place in that interview. You really can't spin that into him being as keen on fighting Mayweather as he was three years later. I never went as far as calling Mosley anything, what I am saying is there was no master plan to wait for Mosley to fade. The chance was there for the fight to happen sooner and it didn't.

Also, things may have been very different if Mayweather had stayed with Top Rank. I've always wondered what the truth was behind Mayweather buying out his contract. I've seen interviews where Arum stated that the money for the De La Hoya fight (which was Mayweather's ultimate target) just wasn't there. They disagreed on guarantees to make certain fights happen (Hatton and Cotto as well as DLH, I believe). I guess Mayweather and Arum had different ideas and it played a part in the Margarito (that and Margarito losing at a crucial time which would've more pressure on had it not happened) fight not happening.

Notice that I didn't bring Pacquiao into this, you did. Pacquiao certainly did not agree to random testing, but blood tests at certain times with a cut off. A legal mediator was brought in to try to settle the testing issue, but it never happened. Pacquiao's camp pronounced the fight dead. As question. If Pacquiao was for more stringent testing, why has he never actually undergone any since, despite numerous fights before his proposed fifth one with Marquez?

Back to Mayweather. He definitely fights for money and to satisfy himself. Can anyone say he's been running a "bum of the month" club? Not really, but has he taken all the fights that fans want to see? No. I've already stated the fights I wanted to see and didn't. Three fights and Mayweather's definitely at least partially at fault for them not happening (especially Pacquiao for being a diva and difficult in negociation post 2009).

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                The ridiculously high standards Floyd set for himself through his performances against top 10 opposition for 15 years, makes it impossible for fans to actually sit down and think "Wait a minute, this is actually a good opponent".

What people don't realize is that. it's not that they don't think Floyd's opponents are good, it's that they don't think the match is good, because of how good Floyd is.

This is exactly what is happening to Floyd. His opposition would be seen as ATG-career-creating-wins for any other fighter, as seen by Pacquiao beating DLH, Hatton, Marquez, and Cotto and getting massive amounts of praise for it but Floyd fought old, shot, and small fighters.
                Floyd is not held to a higher standard at all, thats a myth. Its the fact that he does less than his peers, and people want him to make a statement and not have anti climatic return of opponents.

People dont think Floyd is good. People thought SSM would test Floyd, not cos everyone thought SSM was anything special, rather they thought FLoyd is a ducker and even a 5 loss, ancient SSM, Floyd would be scared of.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
                  Floyd is not held to a higher standard at all, thats a myth. Its the fact that he does less than his peers, and people want him to make a statement and not have anti climatic return of opponents.

People dont think Floyd is good. People thought SSM would test Floyd, not cos everyone thought SSM was anything special, rather they thought FLoyd is a ducker and even a 5 loss, ancient SSM, Floyd would be scared of.
                  This from a man who thinks Pacquiao is one of the greats

Comment

Hatton was the biggest fight of the time and it was wanted at fever pitch , Floyd took the fight !

Trouble is you cant please everybody all of the time , and you can NEVER please haters unless you lose .

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post

lol at this ****....

STILL crying..

Comment

Working...
                      X