Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Mayweather ever fight an opponent we really want him to?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MUFC#1 View Post
    Floyd was with Top Rank when the Margarito offer was made. He was offered the fight before he fought Zab Judah.

Sergio Martinez is not a middleweight he moved up to get fights. He has said he will come down to 150lbs. Thats 3lbs over Welterweight and 4lbs under Light Middleweight.
    Why fight Margarito for 8 million when he can fight Baldomir for 10 million and the belt? And on top of that, get a fight with Oscar de la Hoya next. Yes from a fan's perspective, I would have wanted him to fight Margarito over Baldomir as well. But from a fighter's perspective, I would do what makes sense financially. People use the term "duck" too freely here. Fighters are human. Yesterday, I told my friend I was going to take her out. Unfortunately, I got sick. This is what I'm allowed to get away with. Or how about this. Two years ago, I got offered a job. The pay was good. I was satisfied with it. But another offer came up who was willing to pay more. I took that job instead. Why? Because financially, it just simply made more sense.

And Martinez hasn't fought in Junior Middleweight in 5 years. Plus the fact that he's 40 years old. I'm pretty sure he's a middleweight fighter now.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
      And you honestly Believe That Now? When I see Mayweather Videos when he is not fight, it is usually him Counting His Money or doing something that pretains to Money...how many times have you seen Mayweather Walking Around With His Belts an Counting His Belts? lol

Mayweather only say he cares about Legacy and Fans during the PRE FIGHT STUFF like Press Conferences and Interviews before the fight to sale the PPV's and Tickets but for the most part it is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!
      I believe he'll take the easiest option that can make him money. He walked away from $60m....What am i supposed to believe?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Sandman View Post
        Why fight Margarito for 8 million when he can fight Baldomir for 10 million and the belt? And on top of that, get a fight with Oscar de la Hoya next. Yes from a fan's perspective, I would have wanted him to fight Margarito over Baldomir as well. But from a fighter's perspective, I would do what makes sense financially. People use the term "duck" too freely here. Fighters are human. Yesterday, I told my friend I was going to take her out. Unfortunately, I got sick. This is what I'm allowed to get away with. Or how about this. Two years ago, I got offered a job. The pay was good. I was satisfied with it. But another offer came up who was willing to pay more. I took that job instead. Why? Because financially, it just simply made more sense.

And Martinez hasn't fought in Junior Middleweight in 5 years. Plus the fact that he's 40 years old. I'm pretty sure he's a middleweight fighter now.
        He didn't get 10 to face Baldomir. Baldomir wasn't even his first choice opponent, that deal was done late. They wanted Cory Spinks at 154lbs. Spinks priced himself out the fight. Floyd made $5m against Zab, the Margarito offer was made before he faced Zab. What excuse you got for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Burner © View Post
          **** the writer hes not here to defend himself.

You are.

So name them. Third time. Or are you just here to troll?
          I was ready to respond to this but I see from the other post that you are not really that interested in knowing because you prefer to defend Floyd at all costs, as the writer mentioned!

Fact is that Floyd has not fought those opponents mentioned. It's funny that only poor Floyd can't make those fights until its too late since his opponent faded just enough to make the risk lower! How come?

When I said in another thread that Canelo needs more time and to fight top opponents prior to assessing if he is ready to fight Floyd. Guess what several Floyd fans said?

Floyd fan said "Floyd is already 36, Canelo has to fight him now" Meaning, Floyd is going to be too old to take on these guys later. Now if this is the case then why are we called trolls for stating a fact about Mosley being old at 39 year old and inactive ...... and Floyd agreed with us BEFORE the fight!!!

Comment

lol pac stans still wearing diapers from all the butthurt.

lmao.

Comment

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
              When are you Floyd fans going to get it?

Sorry bud but what does Berto-Mosley being cancelled have to do with Floyd? Floyd knew that the pickings were good and took advantage of that. Floyd could have been all wrong about how he felt about Mosley but for him to admit to Mosley being past it is what is the key in all this.
              Fine. Now all you have to do is find some posts BEFORE the Mosley fight where you agreed with Mayweather that Mosley was too old to fight. Find me your posts and other detractors of Mayweather stating that the fight shouldn't be made because Mosley is past it.

I know there were plenty of people stating Mayweather was scared. Did you argue against them? Did you tell these rabid "boxing fans" calling for Mayweather to "fight Mosley or die", that they were talking nonsense because Mosley's too old? I'll wait for those posts to be dug up.

Comment

"Will Mayweather ever fight an opponent we really want him to?"

How can he when everyone changes their mind after the fact? Until he loses, nobody wants to see him win which results to the he's not fighting anyone want to see him fight..... because.... he won the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by WESS View Post
                  "Will Mayweather ever fight an opponent we really want him to?"

How can he when everyone changes their mind after the fact? Until he loses, nobody wants to see him win which results to the he's not fighting anyone want to see him fight..... because.... he won the fight.
                  I hate when people say the fight isn't legit because Floyd is a huge favorite. He's a huge favorite over everyone from 147-154 and even at Sergio at 154. Not even a Floyd fan, but that is painfully obvious. Should he fight Ward at 168 so he wouldn't be the favorite?

Comment

Originally posted by Marvellous1 View Post
                    What makes this moot is that Mayweather wanted this fight sooner than it happened. He called for it as far back as after his fight with Philip NDou (not realistic then but the desire was there). But in '06, the fight was a real possibility and it was Mosley that didn't want a bar of it. Check the Vargas II postfight interview and Mosley was very different from the guy that stormed the ring a couple of years later. Mayweather didn't "wait" for Mosley to get old, Mosley waited until he got old and Mayweather was worth more money for the risk of losing to him.

Also, I think MUFC and sicko are both right. Mayweather contradicts himself from one interview from the next. But I truly believe he thinks it's all about him. HE fights who HE wants if it makes him the most money. I reconciled myself with this a while ago. Sometimes it coincides with what fans want but not often enough. Say what you want but people WANTED the fight with Hatton to happen. The clamour was big for it and many thought it wouldn't happen, but it did. The same goes for the Mosley fight. People wanted it and it happened. Mayweather himself said he'd get little credit for it before hand but he fought Mosley when Mosley was finally keen on it.

The ones I wanted to see: vs Cotto (2008), vs Margarito and of course vs Pacquiao. I'm not going to go into all the why's and wherefores as they've been done to death.

Mayweather will continue to do what he does for a little longer which is fight good fighters for the coin. And people will always have an idea of what they think he should be doing (regardless of what their agenda is). For whatever he does, there'll always be something he didn't do. You can apply that to many, many top pro boxers when they retire.
                    I believe you are referring to Larry Merchant's interview with Mosley not an interview of Floyd seriously wanting the fight. Mosley said "If the money is right OK but I already had told my family and Oscar's that we would be taking a vacation." Mosley said he preferred and asked Floyd lets do it a few months later. Floyd said NO!!! So you are wrong in saying that Mosley didn't want it back then as you stated. There are interviews of Mosley wanting it back then!!!

Ironically, that is the same time Floyd could have fought Margarito. Again, Floyd said NO!

Funny that Mosley can't take a bit of time off (weeks not years like Floyd) or else he is ducking but Floyd fans don't dare call Floyd's fake retirements questionable!

When it comes to Floyd, talk is cheap. Floyd also said "Manny take the test and we have a fight". Manny agreed but Floyd put new roadblocks!!!

Yes, Floyd does fight for money not legacy/resume but then why are the same people coming here and saying that he doesn't cherry pick?
                    Last edited by ADP02; 01-27-2013, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvellous1 View Post
                      Fine. Now all you have to do is find some posts BEFORE the Mosley fight where you agreed with Mayweather that Mosley was too old to fight. Find me your posts and other detractors of Mayweather stating that the fight shouldn't be made because Mosley is past it.

I know there were plenty of people stating Mayweather was scared. Did you argue against them? Did you tell these rabid "boxing fans" calling for Mayweather to "fight Mosley or die", that they were talking nonsense because Mosley's too old? I'll wait for those posts to be dug up.
                      I never said that in 2009/2010 period that Floyd was scared of Mosley.

I liked Mosley and hoped that he could still bring it but I was realistic and did question it BACK THEN. That is, prior to the fight, I said that Mosley was getting up there in age and that may be his downfall.

You will always find posters who are big fans say that "Floyd is scared of Canelo", "Scared of Guerrero" and so on. You check my posts now. I state that guys like Guerrero, Canelo and Trout still need more fights to prove themselves in their respective divisions since their resumes are clearly weak.

Known Floyd fans responded the other day by saying "Floyd is already 36 .... " Meaning the soon to be 36 years old Floyd is getting older. Later will be too old! .... double standards ... lol!

If Floyd fights them, you will then see Floyd fans say. "Why were there guys saying that "Floyd was scared of Canelo", "Scared of Guerrero" and so on.

The point is that Floyd had the opportunity to fight these guys when it counted but Floyd didn't. Margarito, Mosley, Manny, Williams, Martinez, Cotto and more all come to mind. After a while, one has to stop saying "it's because of the opponent not Floyd" .... its not credible anymore!
                      Last edited by ADP02; 01-27-2013, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X