Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Mayweather ever fight an opponent we really want him to?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
    That was crazy, from welterweight monster to shot old man in 4 months. Only on NSB.

I don't remember Floyd saying that. But I do remember him saying "he's not too old" during the HBO face off. Even if he did say that, so what? What matters is what YOU thought about Mosley. If you thought he was a legit threat then give credit where credit is due.
    I don't remember Floyd specifically saying that, but I do remember Mayweather and/or his camp(I think it was Mayweather Sr. or Roger)making several allusions to the fact that Shane would have stamina issues. They were seemingly throw-away kind of comments rather than full on pre-fight reports.

Regardless after Mosley stormed the ring everyone was asking for that fight so it's not like he had a choice to not fight him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcsuper View Post
      Also Pacquiao gets all the credit in the world for fighting Marquez four times while Mayweather gets ZERO credit for fighting Marquez after a long layoff. And dont begin with the "he cheats the weight" because weight had zero effect on how the fight went on. Floyd didnt dominate marquez by bullying him with his weight
      Another Floyd Mayweather fans favourite thing to do is bring up Manny Pacquiao.

Comment

Mayweather told use plenty of times that he "DON'T FIGHT FOR LEGACY" so fans need to stop trying to force him to do so

Mayweather is all about the money...and who am I to tell him that he is wrong for being that way? If that is the type of fighter he wants to be then so be it but at the same time it is not like he is collecting big pay checks just fighting BUMS like some fighters

Most of his big money fights was against fighters who was hot at the moment and was at the top of their Division, now if he was fighting the 15th Rated Welterweight then yeah I would have no problem calling him out for that but that is not the Case, most of his opponent was either coming off of Big Wins or was at the top of their Divisions when he fought them

I look more forward to the Era after Mayweather to be honest, I think that will be more exciting and it will have much more overall talent and the fans will put more pressure on that next ERA to fight each other, you already see it with Danny Garcia and Adrien Broner, despite them still being young fighters fans are already putting pressure on them to step up the competition

Comment

Even before Martinez signed to fight Murrey, Mayweather had the choice of Martinez, Pac, Canelo, Trout, and Guerrero and EVERYONE said Mayweather would pick Guererro which proves that he would pick the easiest one of the bunch and right on Q he did. Only way he can change the public perception is if he choses Canelo or Trout and not Guererro.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
            Mayweather told use plenty of times that he "DON'T FIGHT FOR LEGACY"
            Only when it suits him. Sometimes when he's asked about the hardest fights he'll say it's not about money and he's thinking of his legacy or love of the sport.

http://vimeo.com/57728833
            Last edited by DonairesRevenge; 01-27-2013, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
              That was crazy, from welterweight monster to shot old man in 4 months. Only on NSB.

I don't remember Floyd saying that. But I do remember him saying "he's not too old" during the HBO face off. Even if he did say that, so what? What matters is what YOU thought about Mosley. If you thought he was a legit threat then give credit where credit is due.
              Floyd said it BEFORE the fight was made and its in a video clip as proof.

It matters more what Floyd thinks than what I think. If Floyd thinks its less risky because he knows that his opponent will be rusty (16 month layoff), out of prime, and OLD then that is the point of all this!

Comment

Originally posted by MUFC#1 View Post
                Margarito pre-retirement
                Pacquiao post-retirement
                Sergio Martinez now

Mayweather is a 2x champion at 154lbs and he's likely to face Canelo Alvarez there in September. He should face Sergio Martinez at 150lbs, like Martinez suggested.

Mosley fight was everyone's second choice. Everyone wanted Mayweather-Pacquiao over that fight.
                So in another words, he should have fought bunch of Top Rank fighters and a middleweight who already has a fight lined up as we speak. Yes he's willing to come down to 154....at the weigh in.

Everyone wanted the Pacquiao fight, but unfortunately in today's boxing world, promotional beef exists. Let's not pretend that it doesn't. I mean come on. Do we really believe that Donaire and Mares are scared of each other? Or Brandon Rios and Lucas Mattyse are scared of each other? Or Amir Khan and Timothy Bradley were scared of each other? Do we really believe that Mayweather vs Cotto finally happened because Mayweather was waiting for Cotto to be shot to ****s? (Which doesn't make sense at all. With his performance against Margarito there were no signs of him being shot.) Come on, let's be real. Promotional beef is a real thing. So now that we got that out of the way, Mayweather vs Pacquiao couldn't happen. So Mayweather fought the next biggest threat, Mosley. A true duck would never fight the next biggest threat.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Sandman View Post
                  So in another words, he should have fought bunch of Top Rank fighters and a middleweight who already has a fight lined up as we speak. Yes he's willing to come down to 154....at the weigh in..
                  Floyd was with Top Rank when the Margarito offer was made. He was offered the fight before he fought Zab Judah.

Sergio Martinez is not a middleweight he moved up to get fights. He has said he will come down to 150lbs. Thats 3lbs over Welterweight and 4lbs under Light Middleweight.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
                    Mayweather told use plenty of times that he "DON'T FIGHT FOR LEGACY" so fans need to stop trying to force him to do so

Mayweather is all about the money...and who am I to tell him that he is wrong for being that way? If that is the type of fighter he wants to be then so be it but at the same time it is not like he is collecting big pay checks just fighting BUMS like some fighters

Most of his big money fights was against fighters who was hot at the moment and was at the top of their Division, now if he was fighting the 15th Rated Welterweight then yeah I would have no problem calling him out for that but that is not the Case, most of his opponent was either coming off of Big Wins or was at the top of their Divisions when he fought them

I look more forward to the Era after Mayweather to be honest, I think that will be more exciting and it will have much more overall talent and the fans will put more pressure on that next ERA to fight each other, you already see it with Danny Garcia and Adrien Broner, despite them still being young fighters fans are already putting pressure on them to step up the competition
                    Wish I had green K to give, good comment.

Comment

If Floyd gives up the WBA 154 tittle I have no problem with him staying at his natural weight of 147 as long as he faces top welterweights. Guerrero is a top welterweight and Floyd's mandatory for his WBC welterweight tittle so I have no problem with him fighting Guerrero. It is not my favorite fight for Mayweather but I think it's a decent fight. Guerrero might really put the pressure on Mayweather the way Castillo did. It should show what Floyd has left at age 36.

Comment

Working...
                      X