Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has taken on the riskier fights in their career; Manny or Floyd?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floyd is so great that not many fights would be considered risky regardless who he fought.when was the last time floyd was not favored or expected to lose?

Comment

• Originally posted by letsgobrady View Post
      floyd is so great that not many fights would be considered risky regardless who he fought.when was the last time floyd was not favored or expected to lose?
      Mebbe corrales was the only fight where it was 50/50. Manny just has the better underdog story to be sure so I'm sure that's what colors most ppls arguments. But floyd is held to a higher standard. There's no.doubt about that.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoxingFollower View Post
        I agree with that, atlest Pacfans can admit that, Floyd fans go as far as saying that Mayweather made himself look bad against Cotto....how stupid is that????
        It's like Mayweather can do no wrong.
        its not really stupid especially if you watched the sparring sessions with omar henry which looked very similar to the cotto fight and we have seen floyd in the past fight his opponents fight and still win.when pacquiao looked bad against mosley did the pac fans just except it as is or did they put most of it on mosley by saying mosley was running and what about that clottey fight?

Comment

its not really stupid especially if you watched the sparring sessions with omar henry which looked very similar to the cotto fight and we have seen floyd in the past fight his opponents fight and still win.when pacquiao looked bad against mosley did the pac fans just except it as is or did they put most of it on mosley by saying mosley was running and what about that clottey fight?
          Yea, they did, they were like "Mosley was running" and Clottey was scared to trade.

Comment

• Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
            Mebbe corrales was the only fight where it was 50/50. Manny just has the better underdog story to be sure so I'm sure that's what colors most ppls arguments. But floyd is held to a higher standard. There's no.doubt about that.
            every time pacquiao fights there is always some doubt and people actually believe he has a chance of losing but when floyd is about to fight no one feels that way its the opposite people feel like floyd is giong to win and win easy and floyd gets hated and critcized for that

Comment

its not really stupid especially if you watched the sparring sessions with omar henry which looked very similar to the cotto fight and we have seen floyd in th e past fight his opponents fight and still win.when pacquiao looked bad against mosley did the pac fans just except it as is or did they put most of it on mosley by saying mosley was running and what about that clottey fight?
              Add to that floyd was throeing combos staying right in front if the guy, still handily won the fight and ppl say he looked stupid? There's those high standards again. If Floyd gets touched in a fight, its a big thing

Comment

Yea, they did, they were like "Mosley was running" and Clottey was scared to trade.
                soo the pac fans really don't admit when pacquiao looks bad or is in the wrong they just make excuses just like pacquiao and his team

Comment

• Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
                  Manny Pacquiao

-Barrera
                  -JMM (who a lot of people didn't want to fight)
                  -Morales
                  -Morales II (after losing in a war, he fought him again)
                  -JMM II (after many people thought Marquez won, Pacuqiao took a risk and fought him again)
                  -ODLH (considered a horrible cherry pick at the time since DLH had gotten titles at MW and Pacquiao only had 1 fight at LW)
                  Miguel Cotto (even with the CW it was considered a big risk)
                  Margarito(even after a lose Margarito had a huge size advantage)
                  Bradley (Young prime undefeated boxer with good technical abilities)
                  Marquez IV (the 3rd fight was a cherry pick but the 4th wasn't even with a size advantage facing a guy that had arguably beat him 2-3 times was a risk)

Pacquiao =10

Floyd Mayweather

-Hernandez (Floyd's age and first title fight)
                  -Corrales
                  -Castillo II (After arguably losing to Castillo he rematched him)
                  -ODLH (moving up in weight, not that big of a risk)

Floyd = 4

that's pretty much it. Only Trout, Martinez or Canelo fights would be risks.
                  Guerrero wouldn't. Maybe that speaks of Mayweather's skills and greatness or his great cherry picking skills + hype. Like trying to make a shot Cotto seem 2nd prime'd and undefeated, calling Ortiz the quitter a "Young hungry Lion"etc

great post. while I agree with the bulk of it there are a few things I would like to point out. Risk is calculated more by the feeling going into the fight. Hind sight changes our perspective on what actually was considered risky because we know the outcome.

I agree with all your picks for Manny except Margarito. Coming off the the lay off with one tune up I felt going in he had no shot. I pictured the worse case scenario for Manny being that he peppers Tony with fast shots and then steps out before anything comes back. Manny in the past showed incredible stamina so I was confident he could keep it up.

On to Floyd. Again because we know the outcomes to these fights and what the fighters went on to do afterwards it makes it hard to remember the perceived risk factor. Some may not agree with the names I would add.

Believe it or not I would add Zab. Knowing what I know now it seems ridiculous but at the time I thought it was risky. I thought Floyd was more polished and disciplined but Zab could match him athletic wise and carried a bit more pop. I also thought Zab was dangerous coming off an embarrassing loss. Since then I know that Zab though talented cant get by elite. At the time though I felt he had the tools to cause an upset and I wasnt the only one.

I would also say that both fights against JLC could be considered risky. I thought Floyd woud win but thought there was chance the vet would surprise him. When I talk about how hindsight changes things it kinda reminds me of Broner vs Demarco. I thought Broner would win but felt Demarco might surprise him. Obviously Floyd struggled with JLC and Broner dominated Demarco but going in both fights felt similar to me going in.

I would also add the the Mosley fight for Floyd. The feeling in the air before that fight was made was that Floyd didnt want that fight for good reason. Shane only looked good for one round and hasnt looked good since. Still going into that fight I am sure I was not the only person who felt it was risky. Bob Arum took shots at Floyd implying he woukdnt take that fight. Once it was signed he had to admit it was a fight he woukd be interested in seeing. This isnt to say Floyd wasnt favored, but it was interesting to see him fight a guy with speed and power coming off a huge win.

You mentioned Ortiz and I would add him as well. Reawon being he was powerful and seemed hungry with nothing to lose. I was at the presser for this fight and stood next to both guys. Ortiz was huge compared to Floyd. since both had not gotten in to the full swing of camp yet it gave me an idea of actual size difference. I thought Floyd should beat Ortiz but his inactivity level coupled with Ortiz being powerful and a lefty had me interested. Ironically I think Ortiz was on to something with the dirty tactics but folded when he started to apologize. he should just snarled after the point deduction and went back to work. Why apologize over and over for some that he not only ment to do but appeared to be part of his game plan? I thought Ortiz might get stopped but there was a chance he could put Floyd in some physical trouble with a combination of his size and antics. Thus I found it risky to fight him.

Like you I still have Manny ahead but I find it a little closer. Again great post
                  Last edited by M.I Truth ?; 01-25-2013, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
                    Well then i guess as every thing...it boils down to opinion. I dont think being the favored to win discredits the amount of risk involved. Floyd didnt fight Marg or Clottey. OR Cotto when he should have. Manny did! Just those three alone against manny being the smaller guy is a huge risk...despite the betting odds. I did say an undefeated fighter was a small risk. But an undefeated fighter can be that way for many reasons. It does have some significance but i see your point as well.
                    this thread doesn't need to be another opinion thread or a opularity thread. I suggest using betting line. Again, this thread question can be subjective.

SO being smaller is more risky than being a favorite? Come on dude you can't just operationalize a definition like that. even if yoiu did, that makes many of floyd's fight therefore risky.

What happens when you fight someone a 2nd or 3rd time? SInce you already know what that fighter brings the risk is reduced, not increased.

Look, I know you just voted manny just because. But if manny is beating a bunch of clottey's, 4-1 or 5-1 underdogs,even if they are bigger opponents, those fights are not risky.

Comment

Answer me a question though, the whole word in 2011 was saying that Shane Mosley was shot, Pacfans, Floyd Fans, Boxing Media....

So Pac has a choice of fighting Mosley, Berto (Undefeated WBO champ at the time), and Paul Williams who was saying he would come down in weight....

Why did Manny fight Mosley?
                      ARUM chooses whats financially best for him first, thats why you have promoters, dont buy into that BS floyd spews, Floyd claims to hve more say than any other fighter so we know he is a true cherry picker since unlike other fighters he is his own boss so he gets full blame.

If you want to criticize Pac, Criticize Martinez too for not fighting GGG, even though its Martienz promoter who said GGG is a no name and he will never put SErgio in with him.

Does that Mean SErgio is a duck no he is just a loyal employ just like Pacquiao these guys are fighters not business men, they are throw backs who fight anyone their promoter tells them to fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X