Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Andre Ward comparible to Pre-Pacquiao Tim Bradley?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
    Are you suggesting that Ward has demonstrated notable superiority in these aspects?

Bradley did floor Lamont Petersen, and dropped Cassamayor about 5 times, granted he's not shown real power agaisnt opposition known to be durable, but neither has ward.

When has ward faced anyone with the hand and foot speed, power and agression of Manny Pacquiao?

Froch, no
    kessler, no
    abraham, the power, but DEFINATLEY not the rest
    Dawson, no

oh, and also when has ward gone up in weight, and faced someone like that?
    LOL, Ward has most certainly shown superiority in these aspects. Dropping Casamayor at this point in time doesn't say much considering that he's over-the-hill. As far as Peterson goes, Peterson is there to get hit and isn't known for his defense or evasiveness.

Dawson may not have the same speed as Pacquiao, but it IS CERTAINLY COMPARABLE ENOUGH to draw comparisons.

Bringing up the fact that Ward has not gone up in weight is a red herring to the debate at hand. However, I'll entertain it in this one regard. You're implying that Bradley's recent "feats" at 147 are indicative of these multifaceted skills that you attribute to him considering that he's fighting "outside" of his "ideal" weightclass at 140. However, Bradley seems to make 147 just fine and has the frame to be in the division.

Comment

Originally posted by The Evil 1-2 View Post
      LOL, Ward has most certainly shown superiority in these aspects. Dropping Casamayor at this point in time doesn't say much considering that he's over-the-hill. As far as Peterson goes, Peterson is there to get hit and isn't known for his defense or evasiveness.

Dawson may not have the same speed as Pacquiao, but it IS CERTAINLY COMPARABLE ENOUGH to draw comparisons.

Bringing up the fact that Ward has not gone up in weight is a red herring to the debate at hand. However, I'll entertain it in this one regard. You're implying that Bradley's recent "feats" at 147 are indicative of these multifaceted skills that you attribute to him considering that he's fighting "outside" of his "ideal" weightclass at 140. However, Bradley seems to make 147 just fine and has the frame to be in the division.
      Upper body looks good, legs looked soft though.

Comment

No he's not.

He was made to look slow against Jean Pascal, who's quick, but not that quick.

I've never seen Pacquiao look like he was wading through cement like Dawson was in that fight.

As for the rest of it, Power? Agression?

not even in the same galaxy.

Comment

i think ward is just a little bit better in all areas making him significantly better overall. if something stands out over bradley its wards power (which is underrated) and his punching technique.

other than that its a fairly close edge to ward just about everywhere. i cant think of something bradley does better than ward.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiegelo View Post
            I don't remember him chasing Junior Witter from ring post to ring post. I recall him using in and out movement, trying to time Witter with long right hands. Then he unified against Holt, who is a 4 round fighter, so he's smart to pressure a guy like that (even a 47yo Bernard pressed Pascal), Nate Campbell was noticeably smaller, so again it was only smart fighting the big man's fight. Then he goes up against Lamont, a solid boxer puncher, and decided to use his superior skills and box in reverse. When he fought Abregu, he looked like hot dog ****, but that was the first sign that he doesn't belong at welterweight.
            What exactly are you trying to argue here? He was the one definitely pressing the action and moving FORWARD in the Witter fight. Even the Showtime commentators made a note of this in the 7th round when one of them stated that Bradley is "content to pull his way FORWARD and fight on the the inside." You admit that he pressured against Holt. You admit that he pressured against Campbell.

Again, the Peterson fight MIGHT be the only fight in recent memory that doesn't fit Bradley's pressure style.

I will have to watch the Abregu fight again to gauge your assessment of it.

With that said, a MAJORITY OF THE FIGHTS YOU MENTIONED were indicative of Bradley's pressure style.

Comment

No he's not.

He was made to look slow against Jean Pascal, who's quick, but not that quick.

I've never seen Pacquiao look like he was wading through cement like Dawson was in that fight.

As for the rest of it, Power? Agression?

not even in the same galaxy.
              "Made to look slow against Jean Pascal"? A speed deficit was not his problem in that bout. His lack of aggression was. The FEW times that he did pull the trigger, he was able to find Pascal at will. Even with that said, Pascal's explosive speed is primarily fundamental towards his game. To dismiss it as "not that quick" is asinine.

His aggression is definitely not on Pac's level. As for power, well, you have to be specific with that. Pacquiao's power has been SEVERELY overrated ever since his climb up to 147. In the context of the 147 lb class, your overemphasis on Pac's power is a bit ridiculous when looking at who the tougher opponent was for Ward and Bradley...

Comment

"Made to look slow against Jean Pascal"? A speed deficit was not his problem in that bout. His lack of aggression was. The FEW times that he did pull the trigger, he was able to find Pascal at will. Even with that said, Pascal's explosive speed is primarily fundamental towards his game. To dismiss it as "not that quick" is asinine.

His aggression is definitely not on Pac's level. As for power, well, you have to be specific with that. Pacquiao's power has been SEVERELY overrated ever since his climb up to 147. In the context of the 147 lb class, your overemphasis on Pac's power is a bit ridiculous when looking at who the tougher opponent was for Ward and Bradley...
                Floored Hatton threee times and knocked him spark out
                floored Cotto twice, forced stoppage and hospitalised him
                Floored Mosley
                Forced Oscar to quit, hospitalised him
                Hospitalised Margarito

All of those are naturally bigger men

I'd say his power is rated just fine, certainly levels above Dawson who hasn't stopped anyone in going on 6 years, and has never stopped anyone of any note.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiegelo View Post
                  Upper body looks good, legs looked soft though.
                  Well, I suppose if bouts were scored on aesthetics as well, then Bradley would have a major problem having the physical frame to be at 147, LMAO.

However, having a big and/or strong upper body in comparison to the lower body is a sad reality for a bulk of Boxers. It really astounds me considering that proper punching power is generated from the lower body. One would think that Boxers would dedicate more time to developing the lower body.

Comment

Floored Hatton threee times and knocked him spark out
                    floored Cotto twice, forced stoppage and hospitalised him
                    Floored Mosley
                    Forced Oscar to quit, hospitalised him
                    Hospitalised Margarito

All of those are naturally bigger men

I'd say his power is rated just fine, certainly levels above Dawson who hasn't stopped anyone in going on 6 years, and has never stopped anyone of any note.
                    The Hatton bout was at 140. The Cotto stoppage was late in the 12th round and mainly due to an ACCUMULATION of punches rather than genuine ONE-PUNCH KO power. Mosley was essentially damaged goods by the time he got to Pacquiao and that KD you're referring to didn't STOP him. The Oscar stoppage was ALSO BASED ON AN ACCUMULATION OF PUNCHES. The Margarito fight was also based on ACCUMULATION OF PUNCHES.

Like I said, in the context of the 147 lb division, Manny's power is highly overrated.

Dawson's problem isn't his power. You can't display it if you don't pull the trigger. If anything, this is more to do with aggression.

Comment

I think Ward is a better fighter.

Comment

Working...
                      X