Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many Spots Up The ATG Would Wins over Cotto and Tony Have Moved Floyd?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    Team Pacquiao walked away from the fight. Simple. And Mayweather signed to fight a Mosley who, at the time, was someone it looked like both he and Pacquiao were avoiding. I'm not arguing that Mosley was still at his peak when he fought Mayweather. Clearly, he wasn't close to it. However, no one thought that until rumblings began that Mayweather might actually fight him. Then Mosley went from the man he feared to old and shot. Imagine if Floyd said he wouldn't fight Shane because he was old and shot? We'd be hearing how much him not doing so greatly hurt his resume.
    Preaching to the choir. Hell, I picked Mosley to muscle out a win in a close fight based on the Margarito form (not my worst pick ever...I bit the Baldomir Cinderella mojo and actually picked an upset there. Worst pick I EVER made. For every time I call a Lopez-Ortiz, Hatton-Tszyu, or Cotto-Margarito I almost perfect, I remind myself that I did that. LOL) One can give him credit for taking the fight, still acknowledge that Mosley was clearly not very good that night, and give Floyd credit for making him even worse. They're not mutually exclusive.

I'm at least fairly consistent: http://www.boxingscene.com/floyd-may...-up-2-0--25028

Gave him credit for taking Ortiz when he did too: http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweathe...e-manny--40089
    Last edited by crold1; 01-18-2013, 10:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by crold1 View Post
      Preaching to the choir. Hell, I picked Mosley to muscle out a win in a close fight based on the Margarito form.
      One can give him credit for taking the fight, still acknowledge that Mosley was clearly not very good that night, and give Floyd credit for making him even worse. They're not mutually exclusive.

I'm at least fairly consistent: http://www.boxingscene.com/floyd-may...-up-2-0--25028

Gave him credit for taking Ortiz when he did too: http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweathe...e-manny--40089
      I picked Mosley to win too. And while the Ortiz win has cheapened over time, there's no question he was the best available welter when the fight took place. Your last sentence is spot-on.

Comment

• I thought Floyd would when a close fight. But after Mosley stunned him early in the fight I thought Floyd was in for a long night.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoldenAssassin View Post
          How would Floyd have faced prime Mosley. Mosley turned the fight down on live TV when there were talks in 2006.
          Mosley was asked in the ring after a fight if he would be OK to fight in about 3 time against Floyd. Mosley said maybe if the money is right but he had already planned a vacation with his and Oscar's family. Then Mosley said, he would be OK and better prepared with a fight a few months later and he actually fought a few months later.

Floyd wasn't really interested in fighting Mosley because he didn't wait a few months ..... he preferred a fight against Baldomir instead! lol!
          Last edited by ADP02; 01-18-2013, 10:32 PM.

Comment

I picked Mosley to win too. And while the Ortiz win has cheapened over time, there's no question he was the best available welter when the fight took place. Your last sentence is spot-on.
            Ortiz cheapened the fight by melting down. If he'd stayed composed, he probably still loses but he didn't give himself a chance to let his physicality be a factor later. Plenty of talent; bad head.

I see people give Lennox Lewis credit for the Oliver McCall rematch. Mayweather-Ortiz is Hagler-Leonard compared to that.

Let me go on record now too: if Mayweather is going to fight at Welter in May, Guerrero is absolutely fine as a fight. he EARNED a crack at the legit Welter champ by beating two top ten Welters. For the life of me, I don't understand what is wrong with that fight.

P4P bullstuff makes people's brains go mushy.

Comment

Yes that same Mosley. The one who lost a tight decision to one fantastic fighter and destroyed the other fantastic fighter. Then got dominated by Mayweather. That guy. Fantastic all around.
              That "excellent" fighter, who was cherrypicked by Team Margs on the basis of his "excellent" showing against Mayorga?

That same Shane?

Sure was "excellent" that he managed to fight a distracted and unfocused Margarito that night. Then 18 months and two back to back training camps later, looks less than "excellent" against Mayweather.

Hey, we can do this all night.

I've got a better idea. We can throw this out to the BoxingScene public.

Comment

• Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
                Mosley was asked in the ring after a fight if he would be OK to fight in about 3 time against Floyd. Mosley said maybe if the money is right but he had already planned a vacation with his and Oscar's family. Then Mosley said, he would be OK with a fight a few months later and he actually fought a few months later.

Floyd wasn't really interested in fighting Mosley because he didn't wait a few months ..... he preferred a fight against Baldomir instead! lol!
                Mosley didn't open up so he fought the legitimate, lineal Welterweight champion of the world.

Any other guy: that's the fight YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO TAKE. Floyd deserved grief at the time for taking Judah first but, in retrospect, the impact of taking Judah in terms of Floyd crossing into Oscar-level stardom has proven it was the right choice for his brand. That fight was huge with the multi-ethnic hip-hop crossover market. He fought the former champ and current champ in succession. Nothing wrong with that. Was Tony better than Baldomir?

Clearly.

Baldomir was the one foe I thought was a reasonable excuse at the time for not taking that because of his historical crown. I know many disagree, and yes the crown made a lesser foe convenient, but Arum could have moved heaven and earth to try to get to Baldo first with Margarito and boxed Floyd in. He didn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                  Ortiz cheapened the fight by melting down. If he'd stayed composed, he probably still loses but he didn't give himself a chance to let his physicality be a factor later. Plenty of talent; bad head.

I see people give Lennox Lewis credit for the Oliver McCall rematch. Mayweather-Ortiz is Hagler-Leonard compared to that.

Let me go on record now too: if Mayweather is going to fight at Welter in May, Guerrero is absolutely fine as a fight. he EARNED a crack at the legit Welter champ by beating two top ten Welters. For the life of me, I don't understand what is wrong with that fight.

P4P bullstuff makes people's brains go mushy.
                  Yep. In the end though, the Ortiz win was nothing to write home about. It's also the worst win Mayweather's had since his return. Everything else has been very solid - beating Marquez, Mosley and The #1 JMW in the world (for what it's worth). Collectively, I'm not sure there is an active fighter with a better welterweight resume than Mayweather's. And that's huge legacy-wise considering it looked a lot different post-Castillo. The end is close though and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens this year. Guerrero isn't PPV-worthy but he is solid and could give Floyd a run for his money if he looks his age.

Comment

• Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
                    That "excellent" fighter, who was cherrypicked by Team Margs on the basis of his "excellent" showing against Mayorga?

That same Shane?

Sure was "excellent" that he managed to fight a distracted and unfocused Margarito that night. Then 18 months and two back to back training camps later, looks less than "excellent" against Mayweather.

Hey, we can do this all night.

I've got a better idea. We can throw this out to the BoxingScene public.
                    Yes. The Shane who then knocked him the **** out. That Shane. Oh wait, we're using hindsight? In hindsight Margarito wasn't even that good.

Hey do what you have to if you need the support.

Comment

Yes. The Shane who then knocked him the **** out. That Shane. Oh wait, we're using hindsight? In hindsight Margarito wasn't even that good.

Hey do what you have to if you need the support.
                      I do, man. I think I might even win. I have a lot of the Floyd fans on ignore. Think that means they won't be able to vote

Comment

Working...
                      X