Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many Spots Up The ATG Would Wins over Cotto and Tony Have Moved Floyd?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=IMDAZED;12929809]Well then you better run along before I squeeze some more life out of the person I'm debating with. Regardless of any imaginary scenarios you want to conjure up, Mayweather took on the consensus biggest risk available, a man highly ranked pound for pound by nearly everyone. And won. End of story.[/QUOTE]

But that's not what he's debating, tho. Hes saying that beating Cotto and Tony in 08 > beating Shane in 2010.

Comment

• Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
      You're preaching to the converted. I have no problem with Floyd taking that fight - it was the one we wanted and we all got. It was a good win.

The "discussion" I've been having with Imdazed is about whether beating Mosley in '09 was as good as win as Floyd beating Cotto or Margarito during his retirement period. I don't think so at all, for all the reasons I've mentioned.
      That's a fair argument as far as what we can guess from retrospect. Yes, the 07 Cotto was a better fighter in the ring than the 09 Mosley who fought Floyd. The eyes don't lie on that.

How it would have been credited to Floyd? It would have been important to catch Cotto undefeated because Margarito always struggled with parts of the press to be taken serious. If he'd caught Cotto undefeated, and seeing how good Cotto was as a foe with both guys past it we can guess it would have been a good fight, it would likely be seen as his best win.

Hell, 2012 Cotto was better than Mosley 2010 and he HAS gotten more credit for that win and it ranks with the best of his career.

It also would have completely changed the landscape as far as a Pac fight goes. Who knows if that ever develops? Cotto might just have led to Cotto II.
      Last edited by crold1; 01-18-2013, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaestix1 View Post
        what was cotto's excuse for not pressing for a floyd fight? what was arum's excuse? i see a lot of finger pointing at floyd but you rarely hear cotto being blamed for ducking floyd at 140 or not pushing for a fight at 147.
        im not interested in who is to blame. it is what it is, and those fights did not happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
          Whether you feel like it is or isn't as good doesn't take away from the fact that it is still an excellent win on his dossier.
          But the discussion we've been having has been centred on the comparison with those other two fights.

And it's not a fact that it is an "excellent" win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aztec Wanker View Post
            Well then you better run along before I squeeze some more life out of the person I'm debating with. Regardless of any imaginary scenarios you want to conjure up, Mayweather took on the consensus biggest risk available, a man highly ranked pound for pound by nearly everyone. And won. End of story.[

But that's not what he's debating, tho. Hes saying that beating Cotto and Tony in 08 > beating Shane in 2010.
            I'm not agreeing with that either for reasons I've listed several times in this thread.
            Last edited by IMDAZED; 01-18-2013, 09:46 PM.

Comment

But the discussion we've been having has been centred on the comparison with those other two fights.

And it's not a fact that it is an "excellent" win.
              It's not a fact it was simply a "good" win either. Or that Margarito in 2008 was an "excellent" win. But what's facts to you when you raise a scenario like "Maybe Floyd heard rumors of Mosley looking like ****, paid Berto off and took the fight"?

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                Well then you better run along before I squeeze some more life out of the person I'm debating with. Regardless of any imaginary scenarios you want to conjure up, Mayweather took on the consensus biggest risk available, a man highly ranked pound for pound by nearly everyone. And won. End of story.
                Yes. And?

What has that got to do with the digression in comparing the win to a Cotto/Marg one?

If we're digress again, how about we go back to the original topic? You know, the one that wasn't about Mosley but about Cotto and Margarito?

Comment

Yes. And?

What has that got to do with the digression in comparing the win to a Cotto/Marg one?

If we're digress again, how about we go back to the original topic? You know, the one that wasn't about Mosley but about Cotto and Margarito?
                  Yes, Cotto and Margarito were once considered the best welters in the world. Beating them would have been fantastic. However, beating Mosley when he was considered the best welterweight in the world isn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by shade darkar View Post
                    im not interested in who is to blame. it is what it is, and those fights did not happen.
                    why didn't cotto face a prime floyd? why did he wait until floyd was an old part-time figher and then drag him up to 154? a weight he knew floyd was never comfortable at?

Comment

• [QUOTE=Aztec Wanker;12929835]
                      Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                      Well then you better run along before I squeeze some more life out of the person I'm debating with. Regardless of any imaginary scenarios you want to conjure up, Mayweather took on the consensus biggest risk available, a man highly ranked pound for pound by nearly everyone. And won. End of story.[/QUOTE]

But again, his stance stays the same had he beaten Cotto/Toney in 08, and not Mosley in 09. They are pretty mutually exclusive. More strong wins to an already strong resume.

Comment

Working...
                      X