Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Floyd "retire" in 2007 because he was shook by the 147 division heating up?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, it was still fairly hot at 147.

That's why Floyd fought a lightweight when he came back that fall.
    floyd is a jr. lightweight..what's your point

Comment

Originally posted by Ringlife View Post
      Mayweather wanted to sit back and watch the 147 division fight each other till it was safe to come back.
      What made 2009 more safe than 2007?

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
        No, it was still fairly hot at 147.

That's why Floyd fought a lightweight when he came back that fall.
        lightweight is now ranked number 2 ww in the division lmao.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
          What made 2009 more safe than 2007?
          Floyd was STILL avoiding them. He didn't fight a welterweight in 2009.

He fought a lightweight, who had moved up from featherweight in his mid-30s.

Floyd made sure Cotto and Mosley were faded before going in the ring with them.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
            It would have justified Arum claiming Floyd was better than SRR, Ali, and Leonard. Beating those two future 1st ballot Hall of Famers would have done wonders.

All kidding aside, one win over Paul Williams would have sufficed. But it had to be before the first Quintana loss, or right after Williams blasted Quintana in 1 round.
            If I were to pick one fight that I wish Floyd would have took in his career (other than Pacquiao of course) it would have been Paul Williams at 147. He could of made a statement by taking on somebody that had the title of the most feared man in boxing for a while. That's my main beef with his retirement. He could of fought Williams after the Quintana rematch in 2008.

Cotto and Margarito were decent fighters but I never really cared if those fights happened or not.

Comment

Floyd was STILL avoiding them. He didn't fight a welterweight in 2009.

He fought a lightweight, who had moved up from featherweight in his mid-30s.

Floyd made sure Cotto and Mosley were faded before going in the ring with them.
              How did he know Mosley was faded?

And how could he have been avoiding a Cotto who said he never asked or wanted a Mayweather fight?

And you do realize that this lightweight is now the second best welter in the world at the least? And that Mayweather hadn't fought in two years?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandish View Post
                floyd is a jr. lightweight..what's your point
                Floyd couldn't even make the catchweight of 145.

Floyd was a welterweight in 2009. JMM was a lightweight at that time.

Marquez was a featherweight until his mid-30s.

Comment

Floyd couldn't even make the catchweight of 145.

Floyd was a welterweight in 2009. JMM was a lightweight at that time.

Marquez was a featherweight until his mid-30s.
                  So what? Stop and think for a second - I suspect this is another thread where you get embarrassed if you don't do that. And no amount of diversion is going to help you.

Comment

So far, over 97% of people voted Floyd "retired" because he was shook.

Comment

I voted no, but only because he didn't want to do business with Arum IMO. Him not fighting Cotto in 08 is still the biggest problem I have with his career, maybe even more so than Pacquiao.

He didn't avoid Margarito or Williams though, that's ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                      X