Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Floyd "retire" in 2007 because he was shook by the 147 division heating up?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Marvellous1 View Post
    Don't you get it? Mayweather should've moved up from 130lbs to 140lbs and challenged Tszyu for his title...... but at a 137lbs catchweight, of course. He would've been a legend and well respected by all if he did that.
    When he challenged the lightweight champ Marquez, Floyd Mayweather couldn't make the catchweight of 145!

So Floyd fought the 135 pound champ at 147.

Comment

Don't you get it? Mayweather should've moved up from 130lbs to 140lbs and challenged Tszyu for his title...... but at a 137lbs catchweight, of course. He would've been a legend and well respected by all if he did that.
      In 2000, Tyszu was busy chasing a fight with...Julio Cesar Chavez

Tszyu had lost most of his props after getting stopped by Phillips. He was on no one's radar until he bounced back with the impressive KO over Judah. Freedom doesn't really have much depth to his commentary so you'll see him flailing all over the place, unable to cohesively argue his point. Thus far in discussing 1998-2000, he keeps bringing up circumstances from other years, other fighters...you name it. I expect this pattern to continue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
        When he challenged the lightweight champ Marquez, Floyd Mayweather couldn't make the catchweight of 145!

As did Pacquiao. How did he do in those two fights again? When was the last time he fought a welterweight?

Comment

As did Pacquiao. How did he do in those two fights again? When was the last time he fought a welterweight?
          Pacquiao is, in Floyd's words, a "midgit".

Manny won his first world title at 112 and started at an even smaller weight.

Floyd is a much bigger man who started at 130.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
            Tszyu had lost most of his props after getting stopped by Phillips. He was on no one's radar until he bounced back with the impressive KO over Judah. Freedom doesn't really have much depth to his commentary so you'll see him flailing all over the place, unable to cohesively argue his point. Thus far in discussing 1998-2000, he keeps bringing up circumstances from other years, other fighters...you name it. I expect this pattern to continue.
            When you resort to those kind of replies, it means you don't have the answers. Again:

If JMM can move up from 135 to 147 to fight Floyd, why is it so ridiculous to suggest Floyd moving up a weight division or two?

If Greb moved up 25 pounds to fight Tunney, if SRR moved up to fight LaMotta, why is it unthinkable for Floyd to move up 5 pounds to fight Kostya in 2002??

If a man shorter than Floyd (Sam Langford) fought heavyweights, why couldn't Floyd fight men his own size when they were in their prime??

Why did Floyd duck a man his own size Mosley in 2007 when Shane was still good and go for the smaller, reach-challenged Hatton?

Comment

I'm sorry, was that an answer to my question? You stated that Mayweather fought the 135lbs champ (Marquez) at 147lbs. I didn't dispute that. I then stated that Pacquiao did exactly the same thing two years later or thereabouts. I'll ask again, how did those fights go? I'll also ask when Pacquiao last fought a welterweight? He does still campaign at welterweight, right? (Maybe actually answer rather than making random statements)

Comment

• Marquez called him out, Floyd didn't challenge him. He took the fight as a tune-up for coming out of a nearly 2 year retirement and that's all it essentially was. He was an a$$ for failing to make the weight limit but that fight was of little consequence. It wasn't a title fight and nobody was surprised when Marquez was dominated.

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post

Comment

I'm sorry, was that an answer to my question? You stated that Mayweather fought the 135lbs champ (Marquez) at 147lbs. I didn't dispute that. I then stated that Pacquiao did exactly the same thing two years later or thereabouts. I'll ask again, how did those fights go? I'll also ask when Pacquiao last fought a welterweight? He does still campaign at welterweight, right? (Maybe actually answer rather than making random statements)
                  Pacquiao is a smaller man than Floyd.

In fact, Floyd calls him the "midgit".

Pacquiao and Marquez are about the same size.

Floyd and Shane are about the same size, so Floyd ducked him when he was still good in 2007.

Comment

• lol, no he isn't. He was 150 against Ortiz, 151 against Cotto. Nappiao was at the 147 max for his weigh in for Marquez 4. Much bigger? lmao.

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post

Comment

When you resort to those kind of replies, it means you don't have the answers. Again:

If JMM can move up from 135 to 147 to fight Floyd, why is it so ridiculous to suggest Floyd moving up a weight division or two?

If Greb moved up 25 pounds to fight Tunney, if SRR moved up to fight LaMotta, why is it unthinkable for Floyd to move up 5 pounds to fight Kostya in 2002??

If a man shorter than Floyd (Sam Langford) fought heavyweights, why couldn't Floyd fight men his own size when they were in their prime??

Why did Floyd duck a man his own size Mosley in 2007 when Shane was still good and go for the smaller, reach-challenged Hatton?
                      Do you have to be told again? Mayweather wanted to fight Mosley in 2006. See Mosley's post-fight interview after facing Vargas. Merchant told revealed the opportunity was there and Mosley tapdanced worse than Fred Astaire. Mosley ranged from going on vacation to needing the dentist.

You have a point about fighters past moving up to fight. Riddle me this. Why did Pacquiao refuse to fight Cotto at 154lbs if he already destroyed him once, and the previous catchweight had nothing to do with the result (so we're told). Why did Pacquiao need a catchweight, and considering the result, why did he need another one?

Great fighters do move up, greater ones don't need catchweights to win titles.

Comment

Working...
                      X