No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ricky Burns-Miguel Vazquez Unification Mega Show

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
    I don't think u can blame ppl for being disappointed with the way this turned out. Ppl were expecting burns vs. Broner for months. Warren talked **** about broner and everything. After demarco, that was the best fight to be made at the weight. Ppl are disappointed and a clear duck is a clear duck. I still will be watching the fight tho. I hope Vasquez wins because I simply don't believe burns will fight broner.
    i dont think this is fair. Burns had an offer to go to US on short notice to fight one of the best fighters in his division. He says he wants more time to prepare (perfectly reasonable) and that he wants more money to go fight in Broners back yard (again reasonable considering the money he can make in UK). This meant that the fight fell through for the time being. Now Burns is fighting the next best option in Vasquez, which, should he win, will help him raise his profile and give him more clout in negotiations with Broner. Im also not sure its coincidence that Broner is fighting Rees, as this will raise his UK profile.

I fully expect this fight to happen in 2013 (again barring Rees upset or Vasquez win).

Comment

Hopefully the winner gets Broner.

Comment

I'm lost. What's wrong with that? That's the exact reason u do duck a person. And yes Vasquez is a hard fight but its still easier than broner. There's no doubt about that. Props for burns for taking the fight but he still ducked browner, there is also no doubt about that.in fact I'm not convinced they will fight at all.
        Originally posted by Biolink View Post
        There is no contradiction there. That is the exact reason for why you would duck someone.
        Why complain if Burns is exploring other legitimate options? By stating that "Burns is ducking Broner", it leads me to believe that people are actually interested in that fight. But then, those same people say that the match wouldn't be competitive. So why is it a big deal if Burns is ducking? If Burns/Broner doesn't happen after all other legit 135lb options have been exhausted, then there will be good reason to complain. I don't have a problem with fighters who are trying to create or adding to a lineage, and that's what Burns/Vasqeuz is. Burns/Broner doesn't need to happen right this minute when Vasquez and Abril/Bogere are also in the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
          i dont think this is fair. Burns had an offer to go to US on short notice to fight one of the best fighters in his division. He says he wants more time to prepare (perfectly reasonable) and that he wants more money to go fight in Broners back yard (again reasonable considering the money he can make in UK). This meant that the fight fell through for the time being. Now Burns is fighting the next best option in Vasquez, which, should he win, will help him raise his profile and give him more clout in negotiations with Broner. Im also not sure its coincidence that Broner is fighting Rees, as this will raise his UK profile.

I fully expect this fight to happen in 2013 (again barring Rees upset or Vasquez win).
          That. Its really boring seeing people cry 'ducking' when a foreigner won't capitulate to every demand of an American based fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
            Why complain if Burns is exploring other legitimate options? By stating that "Burns is ducking Broner", it leads me to believe that people are actually interested in that fight. But then, those same people say that the match wouldn't be competitive. So why is it a big deal if Burns is ducking? If Burns/Broner doesn't happen after all other legit 135lb options have been exhausted, then there will be good reason to complain. I don't have a problem with fighters who are trying to create or adding to a lineage, and that's what Burns/Vasqeuz is.
            Dude u are overthinking it. Slow down, its not rocket science. Ur taking point a and jumping to point d. U duck someone u know u probably can't beat. Its that simple. No need to over rationalize it

Comment

Nobody is in the wrong here.

Burns wants more time to prepare for Broner. Completely understandable.

GBP tried to make the Burns fight, he wasn't ready yet so they move on to the next highest available contender on the list.

Just hope the winners of Bogere/Abril, Broner/Rees and Burns/Vasquez all fight each other at some point during this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post

That's bull. He had plenty of time. U know that negotiations started even before the demarco fight right? In fact his original excuse was he wanted a tune up. Just because they keep changing excuses doesn't mean ppl believe them. Add to the fact that burns has had at least two opportunities to fight Broner. Yea color me not impressed with excuse number 4

Comment

Looks like young Mr Broner is gonna have an attractive opponent for the fall/winter. Hopefully Vazquez wins. He seems to be a lot more willing to fight Broner than Burns.

Comment

Originally posted by Burner © View Post
                    Hopefully the winner gets Broner.
                    Would Broner have the courage to fight Burns in the UK?

No, Broner will never leave the USA.

Comment

That's bull. He had plenty of time. U know that negotiations started even before the demarco fight right? In fact his original excuse was he wanted a tune up. Just because they keep changing excuses doesn't mean ppl believe them. Add to the fact that burns has had at least two opportunities to fight Broner. Yea color me not impressed with excuse number 4
                      Actions speak louder than words, and in this case Burns' actions have spoken louder than any excuses you feel he has been making for not fighting Broner. This is a legit fight.

This is like the situation Haye had negotiating with Klitschkos, he wasnt getting the deal that he thought he deserved/wanted and so fought another world champ to raise his international profile. He ended up getting 50% purse split. However unlike with Haye situation we have ended up with a good fight between two decent world champs.

2013 Burns Broner will happen if they both win. I cant see any other reason why Broner would choose to fight Rees, who has zero name in the US and doesnt really add to his resume.

Comment

Working...
                      X