Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Mayweather fighting Guerrero over Canelo?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This fight is a tune-up for Canelo, the same way Ortiz was a tune-up for Pacquiao. Somehow, though, the Pacquiao fight never transpired, even though it would have been much more lucrative, than the Ortiz fight.

Floyd and most observers felt Ortiz was easier, so he fought him, made his millions and gave some lip service to a Pacquiao bout, while also throwing up obstacles, so that his followers felt the fight would eventually happen. I don't believe he ever intended to fight Pacquiao and now, of course, the fight won't happen. He thought Pacquiao was too much risk.

I don't recall Mayweather being quoted as making any statements about possibly fighting Canelo. This is purely speculation that the Guerrero fight is a tune-up for him. But if Floyd felt it were an easier fight and could make millions more, he would take the fight immediately. He didn't. Canelo is a more dangerous opponent.

Waiting another year to supposedly build up to a Canelo fight is not that strategically smart in my mind. Floyd would be older, about 37, and far past the prime for any athlete. He might get hurt in this fight and damage the chances of the fight taking place. Canelo could look impressive in his fight, which would make the cautious Mayweather less inclined to fight him, or Canelo could lose, which would throw the proposed face-off, off track.

So, IMO, I don't think he will ever make the Canelo fight.

Comment

Originally posted by HooksInYou View Post
      I actually think Guerrero is a tougher challenge for Floyd than Alvarez. Mayweather's style is better suited to Canelo's than Canelo's is to Mayweather's. Guerrero could be really awkward for Floyd.
      this seems to be the FORGOTTEN fact in all of this...Ghost brings more to the dance than Nelo does regarding styles...both dudes are minor threats imo but Ghost seems to be able to cause a problem or 2 that Floyd will have to figure out...nothing major but he'll bring it...Nelo is in Floyd's pocket, he doesn't know yet, but he's been pocketed already...Floyd has alot of dudes gassed about him not caring about legacy...dude cares ALOT about that...don't EVER get it twisted...regardless of the ****ery he might speak or the stupid things he might do...dude is not DUMB!!

build up Nelo and feed him to Floyd...his base is huge that a "L" to Floyd won't change the economics...history says so...Oscar, Hatton, and Marquez are lving proof...Nelo will join that list after September...nothing's new under the sun!!

Comment

Working...
      X