Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't today's heavyweights 'work' the body?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
      Not sure what your point is...

I didn't say Wladimir 'never' throws body shots; I said he rarely throws them. He's never been an inside fighter, which is completely understandable. His attributes (height, reach etc) mean he's most effective at range. Added to this, he has an impenetrable defence/style, which works for him.

I'm just curious as to why so few HW work on inside fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
        A few do but why would a guy that is 6ft7 go to the body? No need to IMO

You go to the body, you're giving your height advantage away & risking getting drilled up top.
        Dan, you're right. If a fighter is 6'7 and presumably has decent reach, he's more suited to range fighting. But i'm curious as to why the smaller guys in the HW division rarely fight on the inside, or throw body shots.

Like I said, Chisora had moderate success against Vitali by going to the body. Same with Helenius.

Povetkin is pretty decent on the inside, but, again, doesn't administer that many body shots.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by yoz View Post
            Not sure what your point is...

I didn't say Wladimir 'never' throws body shots; I said he rarely throws them. He's never been an inside fighter, which is completely understandable. His attributes (height, reach etc) mean he's most effective at range. Added to this, he has an impenetrable defence/style, which works for him.

I'm just curious as to why so few HW work on inside fighting.
            No I just wanted to show he is capable to. But for 6 6" it's not the most effective way to fight especially if he fights the smaller fighter.

Well there are few body fighters out there. Chisorra is all body puncher...

Comment

If you are wondering why Vitali couldnt KO Briggs or why Wlad couldnt ko Wach its because the brothers suck at going to the body.

If you go to the body, you can catch the head with a shot it wont see coming and score a KD. Lennox had this ability, klits dont.

Comment

If you are wondering why Vitali couldnt KO Briggs or why Wlad couldnt ko Wach its because the brothers suck at going to the body.

If you go to the body, you can catch the head with a shot it wont see coming and score a KD. Lennox had this ability, klits dont.

Comment

Wlad is safe in terms of having no inside game.

But a super heavy without an inside game against a equally elite super heavy
                  WITH an inside game spells a lot of issues.

IN this era.. there are no other ELITE super heavys outside of Vitali.

This is why I will always favor Lewis over Wlad h2h.. people under estimate just how deadly messing up someone in clinches is.

Comment

Working...
                  X