Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you really think about it.what sport is more popular in U.S.A?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After reading this topic plenty of times I dont understand how anyone can keep repeating the non sense about football (soccer) not growing in the US. The US is a nation of immigrants and those immigrants are bringing their culture to the states. ESPN is following Fox Sports and they are showing more football games. They are televising Premiere League, La Liga and the cable/satellite providers are offering more channels that broadcast the sport.

Boxing on the other hand still have their fan base. Not everyone is into reading and learning about the sport. They just like the period the fights last. You can't expect to see a growing hardcore fan base in boxing. It is not going to happen.

Comment

soccer every school has a soccer team
      no boxing team ?
      they dont want our kids to know how to defend themselves
      fukin tyrants

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
        I'll bite, I ignored you originally because of your stupidity but I feel obliged to respond.

You say the sport has been popular with kids for generations, was America's woman's team #1 decades ago? The men's team wasn't even really qualifying for the WC until '90. They've just received their first high profile coach too in ze German, Klinsmann.

Not to mention David Beckham opening academies over there, MLS attracting known players and American-born players are getting good enough now to play in Europe. Obviously, you have no clue though.

Again, I say that boxing would require someone to transcend the sport to attract a significant amount of fans but this won't be realised yet. Yes, you can name Canelo, Broner etc but that doesn't mean they're that person - can you honestly say you know who's going to be the next Mayweather & Pac?

The problem here is you're talking about the present and I'm talking about the future. Are you going to dig for the statistics from the 90s?
        Oh piss off you ignorant prick and learn to read. I blatantly said soccer has been a popular kids sport for generations in the US. Then you start going on about the US winning games and David Beckham visiting. Time to take your pills grandpa.

Look at you, you get your stupid little theories shoved down your own throat and all you do is plough on through asking more questions without even addressing the facts already presented to you. You made an asinine statement - you were wrong. Just accept it.

It's the boxing fans like you who poison this sport. The sports business journal is above you pulling theories out your own ass and pretending they're fact. Fans like you who only want to poke holes everything are what hurts boxing most.

What has statistics from the 90s got to do with this? Oh let me guess, you're going to assume I can't find them since it was over twenty years ago and studies like this didn't even exist back then, and use the lack of evidence to assume the sport was bigger in the 90s, just so you can claim today's growth is actually coming off a decline. Am I right? Jesus, you ot a study covering the last tens years showing boxing is among the top five sports in the US The 90s are now irrelivent.

I lived in the 90s though. Nobody knew anyone other than Tyson. Holyfield is known as the guy who got his ear bitten off.
        Last edited by croz; 01-11-2013, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post
          Oh piss off you ignorant prick and learn to read. I blatantly said soccer has been a popular kids sport for generations in the US. Then you start going on about the US winning games and David Beckham visiting. Time to take your pills grandpa.

Look at you, you get your stupid little theories shoved down your own throat and all you do is plough on through asking more questions without even addressing the facts already presented to you. It's the boxing fans like you who poison this sport. The sports business journal is above you pulling theories out your own ass and pretending they're fact. Fans like you who only want to poke holes everything are what hurts boxing most.
          You have the reading comprehension of an idiot, do I have to spell it out for you?

Soccer might have been popular with American kids but obviously not as popular as it is today. The fact American-born players are venturing into Europe, the best women's team in the world is USA and the various exploits from footballers shows this. There is a lot of money in soccer in the US because it's still in the early stages.

This is why I didn't respond to you earlier, you're too fucking dumb to understand what I'm trying to say. You're pulling out statistics which represent the present and I'm addressing the future.

Comment

Dave Meltzer on quoting the sports business journal on boxing's fan base:

Those numbers have increased over the past decade from 37.4 million to 50.7 million, and will continue to increase over the next decade.

This chart below shows numerous other sports in the US relative to the UFC curtosy of MMA payout. They also include soccer which has around 21 million fans.

The size of the UFC fan base in the United States is estimated to be approximately 31 million people. You can see below how this compares to the size of the general fan base of the other major sports played in the US over the last three years.

So clearly as we can see boxing is more than two times the size of soccer. Boxing does on the other hand have the unfortunate problem of having a ****, lazy as **** ignorant fan base.
            "A big key is the emergence in numbers of the Hispanic audience, where boxing is the second biggest sport next to soccer. Those numbers have increased over the past decade from 37.4 million to 50.7 million, and will continue to increase over the next decade."

Nice to leave out the part where it says "second only to soccer" the sport it's twice as big lol and also their talking about the hispanic population wich is mexico puerto rico etc you know other countries than the US wich is the point of the debate.There a reason why boxing isn't on the chart from this articol and only the major sports league in the US are.

And what are those poor ratings UFC ON FOX ratings your Laughing about?
            Oh right an average of 4.4M Thats Horrible i'm surprised they don't cancel the ufc on fox fight nights because it's not like they were top spot among adults ages 18-49.No No they should Definitely cancel it because boxing is groing again by doing great numbers on nbc averaging 1.6 million viewers wow now thats amazing.

PS: When you're talking about the ****, lazy as **** ignorant fan base I think you're Referring to Yourself

Comment

What has statistics from the 90s got to do with this? Oh let me guess, you're going to assume I can't find them since it was over twenty years ago and studies like this didn't even exist back then, and use the lack of evidence to assume the sport was bigger in the 90s, just so you can claim today's growth is actually coming off a decline. Am I right? Jesus, you ot a study covering the last tens years showing boxing is among the top five sports in the US The 90s are now irrelivent.
              Oh the irony...

Believe it or not I wanted to see the stats out of curiosity, to see how big the sport was at the pinnacle of Tyson's reign - seeing as he's the last boxer that really transcended the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by mikinoki View Post
                "A big key is the emergence in numbers of the Hispanic audience, where boxing is the second biggest sport next to soccer. Those numbers have increased over the past decade from 37.4 million to 50.7 million, and will continue to increase over the next decade."

Nice to leave out the part where it says "second only to soccer" the sport it's twice as big lol and also their talking about the hispanic population wich is mexico puerto rico etc you know other countries than the US wich is the point of the debate.There a reason why boxing isn't on the chart from this articol and only the major sports league in the US are.

And what are those poor ratings UFC ON FOX ratings your Laughing about?
                Oh right an average of 4.4M Thats Horrible i'm surprised they don't cancel the ufc on fox fight nights because it's not like they were top spot among adults ages 18-49.No No they should Definitely cancel it because boxing is groing again by doing great numbers on nbc averaging 1.6 million viewers wow now thats amazing.

PS: When you're talking about the ****, lazy as **** ignorant fan base I think you're Referring to Yourself
                I left that out because that was only Melzter's opinion, nothing to do with the study in question. He's a UFC shill trying to explain away why boxing was still so big. I wouldn't expect a pit fighting ****** to learn how to read something in context though. For example: the study is a US study. Learn to read so I don't have to hand hold you through an argument. Meltzer is trying to say boxing grew due to an influx of latinos going into the US, he's not talking about Latin american countries. He has no basis for saying this beyond an opinion.

The UFC's ratings are poor in their time slot. Boxing's ratings are very good in their timeslot. That's another thing you should learn - timeslot difference. The last UFC event came close to tying with a frosty the snowman repeat in its timeslot. Boxing beat everything else in its timeslot. That's the difference. Also FOX paid 700 million for the UFC. NBC and CBS are likely paying around 100k. FOX aren't getting their money worth.
                Last edited by croz; 01-11-2013, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Oh the irony...

Believe it or not I wanted to see the stats out of curiosity, to see how big the sport was at the pinnacle of Tyson's reign - seeing as he's the last boxer that really transcended the sport.
                  You wanted to see it because you're a troll trying to pick holes in everything that makes boxing look good.

Comment

You have the reading comprehension of an idiot, do I have to spell it out for you?

Soccer might have been popular with American kids but obviously not as popular as it is today. The fact American-born players are venturing into Europe, the best women's team in the world is USA and the various exploits from footballers shows this. There is a lot of money in soccer in the US because it's still in the early stages.

This is why I didn't respond to you earlier, you're too fucking dumb to understand what I'm trying to say. You're pulling out statistics which represent the present and I'm addressing the future.
                    You're arguing with yourself grandad. I said kids in the US have played soccer for a long time. You responded with **** like the above which has nothing to with what I said. I'm not arguing that soccer isn't growing. I said the fact that young people are playing it is no guarantee it will grow since Soccer has been a popular sport in American schools for a long time now anyway. It's one of the reason Soccer has trouble growing in the US, American adults think of it as a kid's sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                      The Klitschkos killed American HW boxing. You'd be surprised how many people love soccer.
                      In America, boxing lives and dies in the heavyweight division. Wlad's style is perceived as boring by a lot of Americans that would be boxing fans. If he was exciting and we had some quality hw prospects who were skilled and in shape, and actually fought instead of trying to survive, then I think the idea of "A great american hope" would actually help the game... Unfortunately there is no american that comes close in the heavyweight division.

Also, the US doesn't know who the champions in each division are. This is due to the millions of belts and titles that are thrown around by the different organizations. It wouldn't be so bad if the fighters weren't so easily stripped of the titles, or if the organizations didn't just create new titles every time someone unifies the belts.
                      Last edited by DIB42; 01-11-2013, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X