Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are certain members demanding Floyd fight all these 154/160 lbs fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
    Why catch weights? The welter champs fought the 54 and 60 champs plenty of times! Whats the difference in a few pounds if one fighter is supposed to have superior skills to the other. (the lighter man ofcourse)
    Bassillo did it, so did Sugarman in a few different classes (welter to middle and middle to HtHvy) if this guy is so GREAT then whats the big deal?
    Oh thats right............Scared about the undefeated BS!!!
    This isn't Sky Diving...............you don't need to be perfect to be considered Great! Ray.
    I did not have the opportunity to see Ray Robinson in his pomp but have read that the man was unique. One can only judge the fighters that he has seen compete.

As Harry Carpenter once said, you can only compare fighters that have fought in the same decades as you have similar opponents to compare them against.

But I do believe that the fighters of 40s-80's, having fought more regularly, their skills would be sharper- but one might argue that due to the developments in science and nutrition that fighters today would have an edge- its a debate I do not feel is worth pursuing.

Comment

I wana see those fights because it would bring the best out of Floyd,which is a joy to watch,simple as that

Comment

Originally posted by ElBossHogg™
        he hold a belt at 154 and the only fighters people are asking for are at 154 so where you get 160 from? Martinez fight will be at 154, canelo at 154, If he didnt want to fight 154 he shouldent have got the belt for play. Time to step up.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Wouldn't be a smart move 4 mayweather to fight @ 154 ,canola and martinez only at 147 cotto 154 put a beating on Floyd 147

Comment

I don't know. I have no problem with Floyd staying at his natural weight class of 147 as long as he gives up his WBA 154 pound tittle. If he hangs on to the 154 pound tittle he is obligated to defend it at least once a year and preferably twice a year.

Comment

Well hes fought at 154 twice, so he can fight at 154 lol

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                He's a 2x 154 champ that's currently ranked #1 at 154 everywhere. Are you saying the belt he's holding is paper?
                nothing else needs to be said

/thread

Comment

Originally posted by Southpawkiller View Post
                  Its time for the man to retire permanently. While he can have 2-3 more fights and make a ton of money, I do not see any fights out there that are going to enhance his legacy any further. The one fight (Pacman) that made sense now seems to be completely dead. Do we really want to see all these legends succumbing to old age and getting knocked out brutally(Jones, Manny, Morlaes to name a few)?

Floyd is a 147lbs fighter, a weight he makes comfortably without cutting weight. His only two appearances above this weight he has weighed 150lbs and 151 lbs respectively. Just because people may deem that there is insufficient talent below 154lbs, does not mean he should jump to a 6th weight class.

While he has won both fights in the junior middleweight division in which he has competed in to date, his performances in both bouts were not his best indicating to me that he should revert to fighting at welterweight.

If a fight with Martinez was made, it would be at 154lbs. If Floyd was to win that bout, the usual critics will suggest Martinez was weight drained (which may valid), and therefore gets no credit for it.

There are weight divisions in boxing for a reason. Having said the above I have no desire for a Mayweather v Marquez 2 as the fight was so one sided the first time I cannot see any other outcome the second time round.

While I will watch Mayweather v Guerrero, I have no real interest in the bout. If Guerrero wins it will not be because of his supernatural ability, but that Floyds skills have declined, just like any fighters does once they begin to get closer to 40. If Floyd wins, the haters will say it was because Guerrero was coming up in weight.

In summary, although I still think they are amongst the worlds best and still have alot to offer, maybe boxing would be better off if both Manny and Floyd retired. It might give the likes of Brandon Rios, Gamboa, Alvarez, Andre Ward to cement themselves as the new faces of boxing and their are so many interesting bouts out there for all of these guys.

BTW I only post in this forum once or twice a year but I felt compelled to do so
                  There are a lot of people who just hate Floyd and want to see him lose. Regardless of who he fights they will hate on, regardless of who he beats they will hate on. If he fights Guerrero he should have fought Canelo. If he fights Canelo he should have fought Martinez. If he fights Martinez he should have fought Froch. It just goes on and on, the people on this site are ******ed.

Comment

So it's ok for him to fight and win belts at 154 against past prime fighters but it's not ok for him to fight live, prime opponents at that weight because "he's to small".....

Comment

I hope that Floyd doesn't fight Guerrero and fights Canelo in May. Then go after Sergio. Oh man, I would love to see that.

Comment

Working...
                      X