Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wlad's "weak" chin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His problem isn't his chin. It's that he panics when he gets hit hard and his brain stops functioning.

Comment

Originally posted by damuttz112 View Post
      Holyfield is a good example of a great chin, Here in this clip he takes a short right hand to the body then a left hook to the chest, followed by a straight right hand. Then Tyson throws two consecutive uppercuts followed by a left hook to the body-short right and a huge uppercut that lands flush on the chin. Holyfield is still on his feet. Tough SOB.

Even add Round 10 Bowe bout, Cooper, damn just add all his fights man.
      Lol this is a terrible example to demonstrate his chin. Tyson only landed 1 flush shot. Ever other shot Holy was smothering with his arm.

Also at this point in the fight Tyson is pretty clearly tentative and seemingly has no energy. No bounce. Just walking into Holyfield.
      Last edited by Konstantin; 01-09-2013, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Konstantin View Post
        His problem isn't his chin. It's that he panics when he gets hit hard and his brain stops functioning.
        you are on to something there.

I think Wlad starts malfunctioning when he gets hit too hard.
        That's his actual weakness.. not his chin.

He got a GRANITE Chin, it's just his brain .

Comment

Wlad has a good chin. Not very good one, as you agreed upon, but a good one. You don't get to that point in your career and that level of domination if you have a glass chin. Glass chin is a misused, overused expression.

Comment

Originally posted by Skittlez View Post
            During Lennox Lewis's chin prime.. nobody could touch him.
            95-01 was Lewis's chin prime.
            He took monster shots and that chin did not crack.

Sadly Rahman took him out of his chin prime..

Maybe Wlad is in his chin prime now?
            chin prime

wtf...........

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
              Good post!

I can agree with that. My point is Wlad's chin is not nowhere near that bad that just on that merit he looses majority of ATG match ups.

His chin is simply average.

It is made out to be bad most likely because he is so damn good at everything else that his one and only weakness tends to be exaggerated.

Anyone who is critical of him only has that one thing to talk about, so it tends to get repeated often. Most of those people are not really fans giving an honest analysis though. Their agenda is only to try to make Klitschko look bad, which they have to be getting tired of after all these years of winning without being knocked down or out.

Comment

He doesn't have a great chin, but its not glass either. Stewart helped turn him into a much better defensive fighter. Then add his height and reach advantage against much lesser opposition and that has enabled him to make it this far without too many problems.

Comment

Some very good comments here.

I have a few remarks.

For Skittlez :

As I recall Wlad was knocked down only once in Puritty fight. He was 22 by the time of fight (for example Lewis was still non-pro by the time he was 23). It clearly happen due to stamina issues. Purrity had a very good chin and he was able to go full 11 rounds without being put out. Before that Wlad used to box 3 rounds in average before putting guy out. 11 full gas rounds drained Wlad and it was obvious.

Regarding Pannell, he managed to put Wlad down in the first round with very nice combination but Wlad was on his feet in no time. He destroyed the guy and put him out in 2nd round.

All of this happened by the time Wlad was still very young and I assign these knock downs more to endurance and probably being too active (he had 25 fight in less than 24 months).

In Peters fight if you look those knock downs you can clearly see that 2 of them came from back/rabbit punches and the last one was clearly due to Wlad's out of balance. He was up in the matter of seconds and finished the round without problems.

Actually apart from Sanders fight I see Wlad won more or less all rounds in which he was knocked down (well maybe not technically, but he was better fighter even after the knock down). I don't think that someone with bad/glass chin would be able to do that.

In Brewster fight Wlad was getting hit with many very good clean punches without being hurt. Only when he lost his energy , he just let his arms down, and show no reflexes at all Brewster got a chance. Only in that stage Brewster managed to put him down. But TBH I really think Wlad would go down without Brewster even touching him - obviously it was something very wrong with Wlad.

I never though Wlad had "jelly legs" and I certainly don't think he has it now. He might appeared like that in his early days as he used to panic. He got 140 amateur fights without being knock down and 24 pro fights that in average took 3 rounds to put the other guy out.
                  He wasn't used to being hit.

Again don't get me wrong. His chin is by no mean granite, but IMO it's solid/good chin. Someone said it's among the worst in HW. I find that very far from the true.

It's very unlikely you catch Wlad clean (especially if he chooses to be cautious).
                  Even if you catch him clean you can't take him down with single punch (well you can, but you need to be someone who hits much harder than Haye - who is a big puncher).

He can recover fast and to do it all over again it's a quite hard task.
                  Last edited by Simurgh; 01-09-2013, 04:52 PM.

Comment

yes hes definitely got one of the worst HW champ chins ever, theres no doubt in the slightest.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
                      yes hes definitely got one of the worst HW champ chins ever, theres no doubt in the slightest.
                      Have you even read the opening post or you just want to troll..
                      Make a decent post at least once.

Comment

Working...
                      X