Collapse
No announcement yet.

This vid looks really bad for Calzaghe

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not an excuse but a possible explanation of why fights get stopped early in the UK...

You have to understand after these two incidents (just before Calzaghe came on the scene incidentally) there were very strong calls for boxing to be banned in this country. The sport needed to appear safer, that manifested itself in overly cautious refs a lot of the time

Comment

It's a tactical loophole Calzaghe cleverly applied. I don't blame the guy for getting Technical Knock Outs and stoppages by throwing volleys of jabby weak looking unanswered punches.

He was brilliant at giving off the appearance he was completely in control and had people in trouble when his opponents were probably only irritated and/or frustrated by his assault. He was a clever boy.
      Last edited by A-Wolf; 01-07-2013, 05:46 AM.

Comment

One of the biggest frauds in boxing history. I would knock him the fuk out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
          not an excuse but a possible explanation of why fights get stopped early in the UK...

You have to understand after these two incidents (just before Calzaghe came on the scene incidentally) there were very strong calls for boxing to be banned in this country. The sport needed to appear safer, that manifested itself in overly cautious refs a lot of the time
          yeah i don't believe that at all. stopping fights way early is just an excuse to make sure hometown fighters win. the same guy who stopped manfredo-calzaghe didn't stop khan-prescott when khan was utterly wasted. they let the hometown fighter keep fighting until he's basically dead.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
            yeah i don't believe that at all. stopping fights way early is just an excuse to make sure hometown fighters win. the same guy who stopped manfredo-calzaghe didn't stop khan-prescott when khan was utterly wasted. they let the hometown fighter keep fighting until he's basically dead.
            Manfredo had barely landed a punch for the entire fight, he was just laying on the ropes getting hit (however softly), if you lie on the ropes taking shots and dont throw back then you always risk being stopped.

Khan was knocked down in the first 30 or so seconds, he got up and was knocked down once more before he was stopped. Explain to me how that is 'fighting until he is basically dead'?

Most early stoppages ive seen are a result of huge mismatches (promoted by Warren mostly) where the hometown fighter is up against a guy who doesnt stand a chance. The hometown guy goes on to dominate the fight and the first chance the ref gets to stop it, he does. Annoying yes, but there are reasons for it.

Comment

Manfredo had barely landed a punch for the entire fight, he was just laying on the ropes getting hit (however softly), if you lie on the ropes taking shots and dont throw back then you always risk being stopped.

Khan was knocked down in the first 30 or so seconds, he got up and was knocked down once more before he was stopped. Explain to me how that is 'fighting until he is basically dead'?

Most early stoppages ive seen are a result of huge mismatches (promoted by Warren mostly) where the hometown fighter is up against a guy who doesnt stand a chance. The hometown guy goes on to dominate the fight and the first chance the ref gets to stop it, he does. Annoying yes, but there are reasons for it.
              wow you are actually trying to say the manfredo stoppage was good and that khan should have continued? manfredo wasn't hurt at all and was slipping the punches. khan was completely gone and out on his feet. the pro khan commentators said "he's all over the place!" "he's going to have to be stopped surely!" "he can hardly stand" "the fight should be over!" if you aren't gonna stop the khan fight why in the world would you stop the manfred fight? it was the same exact ref. makes no sense logically. it's called corruption.

this was a good stoppage?

but this was ok to let khan continue?

are you avvin a laff?
              Last edited by daggum; 01-07-2013, 06:29 AM.

Comment

wow you are actually trying to say the manfredo stoppage was good and that khan should have continued? manfredo wasn't hurt at all and was slipping the punches. khan was completely gone and out on his feet. the pro khan commentators said "he's all over the place!" "he's going to have to be stopped surely!" "he can hardly stand" "the fight should be over!" if you aren't gonna stop the khan fight why in the world would you stop the manfred fight? it was the same exact ref. makes no sense logically. it's called corruption.

this was a good stoppage?

but this was ok to let khan continue?

are you avvin a laff?
                I said you always risk being stopped if you lie on the ropes and dont throw back. Hell i was told that the first time i sparred, Manfredo should have known better. No Manfredo wasnt hurt, but in the context of the fight i can understand why the ref made that decision.

Khan got up from the early knockdown, looked wobbly, then when the count got to eight stopped wobbling, answered the refs question, put his hands up and walked towards the ref. If the ref stops it then it is a terrible stoppage.

These were two different fights with different factors for the ref to consider. Which is why this comparison is completely pointless.

Comment

I said you always risk being stopped if you lie on the ropes and dont throw back. Hell i was told that the first time i sparred, Manfredo should have known better. No Manfredo wasnt hurt, but in the context of the fight i can understand why the ref made that decision.

Khan got up from the early knockdown, looked wobbly, then when the count got to eight stopped wobbling, answered the refs question, put his hands up and walked towards the ref. If the ref stops it then it is a terrible stoppage.

These were two different fights with different factors for the ref to consider. Which is why this comparison is completely pointless.
                  yes different factors. one guy was british and one guy wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                    Stupid thread title. Calzaghe didn't ref any of those fights so how do the ref's choices make Joe look "really bad"? Did any of them make a dramatic change in what was going to happen?
                    More propaganda from known haters...
                    i dont like hating on fighters, but you have to admit that the video isnt anti-Cal propaganda, its actually a fan compilation. A fan compilation has accidentaly made him look bad.

Comment

yes different factors. one guy was british and one guy wasn't.
                      Way to avoid the bulk of my argument.

Khan and Manfredo were in different positions hence the different decision by the ref.

But obviously conspiracy theories are the best conclusion.

Comment

Working...
                      X