Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people think Mares would be more competitive than Rigo vs Donaire?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chief2ndzOnly! View Post
    Havent seen anyone mention the Yonnhy Perez fight that Mares had a very difficult time in. I like Abner and think he has a slew of talent, but against Rigo, I wont pick him(Mares)to beat Rigo. The Yonnhy fight sticks out in my mind.
    IMO Mares clearly won that fight. For me that draw was complete BS, Mares deserved the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by BTTAG145 View Post
      IMO Mares is physically bigger than Nonito and will bully him.
      Mares is in no shape, form, or figure bigger than Nonito bro.

Comment

i think mares would be more competetive but i also feel he would get stopped

Comment

Originally posted by letsgobrady View Post
          i think mares would be more competetive but i also feel he would get stopped
          Which makes a ton of sense. I can see that too. Even if Mares leaves the ring on a damn stretcher he's throwing more than 20 punches a round. He's coming forward throwing body shots and everything else he has to do to make his presence felt. Styles make fights and mares is coming to fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
            Which makes a ton of sense. I can see that too. Even if Mares leaves the ring on a damn stretcher he's throwing more than 20 punches a round. He's coming forward throwing body shots and everything else he has to do to make his presence felt. Styles make fights and mares is coming to fight.
            you absolutely right about that but i really do see him getting stopped in the process

Comment

Originally posted by deejd View Post
              Rigo would stop Mares. I would still pick Donaire to spark Mares, even after this performance. Agbeko boxed Mares' ears off in their first fight despite all the low blows. Donaire has a tremendous chin, great punch resistance and Rigo was able to check that from the opening bell. We're so used to seeing Donaire just be naturally bigger than everyone he bullies and beats up, recklessly walking through any flush punch that landed, but he couldn't do that against Rigo.

To think Mares would just eat every punch Rigo throws at him and continue walking forward like it's nothing.... not at all. He'll get stopped or try to survive.

donaire really doesn't bully people. he's a sharp shooter. he tried to stay too far away from rigondeaux and was picked apart. his size is of benefit to him because of the power it allows him to bring to the ring, and the chin it allows him to display.

mares is a much more physical fighter. donaire hardly ever clinches, walks a man to the ropes, throws to the body, etc. mares will at least try to do some of the things a stronger man should be doing, other than showing a chin and knockout power. the intention of the post was to display that. styles make fights. whether or not you recognize it, mares is more effective at pressuring and cutting off the ring. the type of fight mares is trying to force (a brawl,) is less ideal for rigo than the one donaire tries to force (which is a high powered chess match.)

mares is a much worse style matchup for rigondeaux than was donaire. that's quite clear now, as rigondeaux was able to box with donaire successfully.

i'm still taking rigondeaux on points.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                Believe me, I didn't know who you were until you brought up that I put lead in front of hook in this tread. But I have your name to remind me now and like I said, I'm gonna make sure you get the attention you obviously want from here on out. You wanna stalk me, I'm going to entertain you from now on. You bring up the lead in front of hook and i'll be there to remind you of your stalking. Since it's been on your mind for 6 months.
                I brought up the lead because you suggested throwing a lead hook when already on the inside a thread asking advice on how to throw a lead hook.

As a matter of fact, the title of the thread was; Lead left hooks,how do you stop from telegraphing it

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=566786

Hasn't been on my mind for six months; It just reminds me whenever I read an ignorant post you make in a thread I contribute to. Here's a good idea, post advice about boxing when you actually step in the ring.

Comment

their DESPERATE, they are looking for a new bandwagon to jump on

I am a huge Mares fan, I think he is a damn good young boxer and if I had a P4P list he would be #10 on that list and rising...but I think Rigondeaux STOPS Mares

That relentless Pressure worked on Moreno because Moreno lacked Power, with Rigondeaux, once you feel that left your not going to want to pressure, just like Donaire once he felt that left he was like "DAMN THIS LITTLE GUY HITS HARD" and he was hesitant from the first round up until the knock down round

But yeah the search is on to find someone who can defeat Rigondeaux

Comment

The thing I love about rigo is the timing on his counters. A lot of amateurs and unseasoned fighters counter after you've missed and are out of position, Rigo aims to counter as you're missing and before you can get set. You can punch with the same force but one is far more effective than the other.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                      donaire really doesn't bully people. he's a sharp shooter. he tried to stay too far away from rigondeaux and was picked apart. his size is of benefit to him because of the power it allows him to bring to the ring, and the chin it allows him to display.

mares is a much more physical fighter. donaire hardly ever clinches, walks a man to the ropes, throws to the body, etc. mares will at least try to do some of the things a stronger man should be doing, other than showing a chin and knockout power. the intention of the post was to display that. styles make fights. whether or not you recognize it, mares is more effective at pressuring and cutting off the ring. the type of fight mares is trying to force (a brawl,) is less ideal for rigo than the one donaire tries to force (which is a high powered chess match.)

mares is a much worse style matchup for rigondeaux than was donaire. that's quite clear now, as rigondeaux was able to box with donaire successfully.

i'm still taking rigondeaux on points.
                      Couldn't disagree more about it being a worse style match up for Rigo, it would be easier work than Donaire simply because Agbeko was able box Mares and he's nowhere near Rigo's league as a boxer or a puncher. I completely understand where you're coming from, but to think that Mares is going to clinch his way with someone as slick as Rigo and/or walk him down taking the shots Donaire was eating to land his own doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm wrong, perhaps Mares' chin is just as, if not more, granite than Donaire's; but for a guy who took flush shots from Darchinyan/Marquez at '12, Montiel at '18 and was unphased walking through them, that says a lot. Even the shots he's taken at '22 never discouraged him from taking risks and selling out.

I just can't see Mares getting to fight the way he wants to fight and dictating the pace. It's the same deal with Mayweather... their punching power is deceptive--it may not be one punch power, but it's enough to make their opponent contemplate their game plan.

Donaire tried to bring the heat in the 10th and Rigo nearly came back to win the round despite the hook off the break. 11th, Donaire tried to rush forward and Rigo checked him. The 12th speaks for itself.

Comment

Working...
                      X