Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the Greatest Fighter out the UK Ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

funny how floyds name gets brought up in a negative light in every single thread no matter what its about. i think floyd haters hate him more then floyd fan boys like him in my opinion its lame. how can people hate this man so much just for not fighting pac man when its documented that it was not just him and likely was bob arum people call out arum on every little thing except when it comes to mayweather. everyone gives other fighters the benefit of doubt but floyd no not a chance. jack johnson, ali now mayweather just pathetic and just like those legends people wont realize just how special floyd is until years after he retires. SMH
    Last edited by Cinci Champ; 01-05-2013, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
      No way Jose.

I do get you, many more welsh boxers were more skilled than him, and would beat him H2H. But he acheived more than nearly all of them, surely? I dscount the wins against oldsters which count for little, thats still sticking around 10 years and beating Kessler plus minor notable wins over Woodhall and Bika.
      Last edited by DreamFighter; 01-05-2013, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
        46 tried, 46 failed
        this is the main problem with Calzaghe, 46 times he tried to find a worthwhile opponent, and at least 42 times he failed. Almost anyone half decent would be unbeaten if they did that.
        Last edited by DreamFighter; 01-05-2013, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Bob Fitzsimmons was born near to where i live. Ive been past the road thats named after him many times

Comment

Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
            I do get you, many more welsh boxers were more skilled than him, and would beat him H2H. But he acheived more than nearly all of them, surely? I dscount the wins against oldsters, thats still sticking around 10 years and beating Kessler.
            There isn't another Welsh boxer who'd beat Calzaghe as they're either too small or too big - he's definitely the best Welshman at his respective weight(s). Calzaghe is more about what he could've done rather than what he achieved.

He did achieve a remarkable amount of title defences but the opposition left a lot to be desired. Calzaghe doesn't have the best win of a Welsh boxer, that honour falls to Freddie Welsh - who I rank as the best Welsh boxer ever followed closely by Wilde. Post-war he is the best Welsh boxer along with Howard Winstone.

I don't think Calzaghe has a case for #1 Welsh boxer of all time tbh, he's left more questions than answers when he retired. Very good fighter though and amongst the best at 168, which is a very strong division for us Brits.

Wales is like the European Cuba.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
              46 tried, 46 failed
              Undefeated, but take a look at his opponents, and some of his laughable stoppages, and you can tell this guy never wanted to fight the best, just wanted that pristine undefeated record.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieQ. View Post
                Bob Fitzsimmons was born near to where i live. Ive been past the road thats named after him many times
                I came in here to say his name.

Middle, LHW and Heavyweight champion? Not bad accomplishments regardless of the era.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                  I don't understand what you're trying to get at?

He slapped to protect his hands from injuries, his hands were brittle before he even turned professional. But does that poor technique prevent his hands from getting injured? No, but like I said, the hand injuries came before the slapping.

That's just the style he adapted though and his technique does look weird when he throws. Sounds like you're implying he wouldn't know how to punch properly?
                  im not implying it im saying it flat out, calzaghe threw punches with poor form. i thought that was common knowledge.

his straight punches were thrown well but his looping shots were very bad from technical point of view. its not weird technique its bad technique.

im not bashing him though, he had other skills but that was one of his flaws, his biggest flaw imo. again i thought it was common knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
                    this is the main problem with Calzaghe, 46 times he tried to find a worthwhile opponent, and at least 42 times he failed. Almost anyone half decent would be unbeaten if they did that.
                    Originally posted by cornholioda3rd View Post
                    Undefeated, but take a look at his opponents, and some of his laughable stoppages, and you can tell this guy never wanted to fight the best, just wanted that pristine undefeated record.
                    But good thing too, or else he'd have racked up four or five defeats before he retired. Tbh a lot of people would have done the same, not everyone is a fearless Froch, a foolish Bute or seemingly invincible Ward.

I would take the easy path, personally speaking! I aint brave.
                    Last edited by DreamFighter; 01-05-2013, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Don't forget that even though Lewis is born in UK, he's a boxing product of Canada

Comment

Working...
                      X