Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come ppl say Marciano isn't the greatest of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

all i know is joe Louis got messed up

Comment

Originally posted by Timmie Smalls View Post
      I don't know how you can rate Dempsey above Johnson but I guess that's another thread.
      Because of his impact on the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieBruno View Post
        No he was 5'7, the 5'10, 5'11 was just a myth, same way they pump up wrestlers to be bigger than thye are. Rocky M was a very very short fella, if anything he might of been 5'8...he was light, 175 - 180, the guy wasnt a true HW.

He was a decent boxer, although he would get destroyed by many of the powerful HW's we've seen in the lat 30 years or so...

Tyson was a freak of nature, he was a little taller than Rocky. Tyson had devastating power, more so than Rocky M, and also the fact Tyson would duck very low, almost crouching and hit punches from weird angles, with electrifying speed, while moving his head left and right..Rocky M didnt do anything like that, he fought in straight lines, he would have been very easy to hit by one of these big HW's.

Its hard to compare Tyson to anyone, he was a one off, just so damn athletic, fast and powerful and a great technique when he was in his prime. Although even he had his moments against taller guys.
        Tommy Jefferies or Burns was the smallest heavyweight at 5'7. I you related to Marciano? cause you and I don't know how tall he was. I just stick what i read and that 5' 11

Comment

Originally posted by Wiley Hyena View Post
          Because of his impact on the sport.
          Johnson did much more purely on a sporting level. But impact is another story, yes. Yet I'd advocate that Dempsey played a more passive role than Johnson, even if his overall impact was more positively felt.

Demps had a big media impact, largely due to him filling the role of the good looking honest white hero that america wanted to see him as.

It would be impossible for Johnson to fulfil that role due to external prejudices, becauise dominant public perception cast him as the villain, but surely Johnson actively put more into this pantomine on a personal level than Dempsey posing for cameras ever did?
          Last edited by DreamFighter; 01-04-2013, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by killamoneymike View Post
            yeah well ali said that about tyson when ali was nearing 37000 years old already and humble he admitted marciano could beat him while he was young.

and ezzard charles, joe walcott, archie moore, are all severly underrated.
            no, they are not. top 20-25 easily

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
              Tommy Jefferies or Burns was the smallest heavyweight at 5'7. I you related to Marciano? cause you and I don't know how tall he was. I just stick what i read and that 5' 11
              the odd thing is, if you take a good look at the photos, he has the arm length of a short guy, not a guy who is nearly 6 feet tall. Particularly the ulnar length, is pretty short ( which is used in hospitals to estimate height in patients who cant stand up to be measured).

Comment

Marciano had a 67" reach! Just for comparison mayweather has a 72" reach

Comment

"The Greatest Of All Time" is an extremely broad and subjective thing.

Comment

Because he fought in one of the worst HW divisions ever and his best wins are against faded boxers. He fought guys with more losses than wins in the prime of his career and actually struggled against some. He's credited most for being undefeated but the bulk of his fights are against guys like Harold Mitchell who had 3 wins and 13 losses. Even then there's a lot of speculation about Rocky's connection to the mafia, being friends with mob bosses, and his blatant gift decision against Roland La Starza. At the time people had so little fate in Rocky after "losing" to LaStarza that he was actually down in the odds against Ezzard, a boxer who was not only past it, but a former middleweight too. He then retired early the moment the heavyweight division started improving.
                    Last edited by croz; 01-04-2013, 09:34 AM.

Comment

A completely faded, old, out of shape Louis hung with Marciano well, for half the fight before tiring.

A prime Joe Louis would've koed Marciano, if you take that fight as evidence, because that Louis was 1/10 of the fighter he used to be. He had to work so hard just to get back into some semblance of shape. The dude was old and fat.

Comment

Working...
                      X