Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come ppl say Marciano isn't the greatest of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
    I think Rocky was one of the greatest pound for pound fighters of all time. He could easily have fought at 175. Heavyweights don't strip down or miss fluids or water to make weight since there is no weight limit. Marciano weighed in the low 180s for his tittle fights wearing shoes and street clothes. He actually weighed less than Charles or Moore when he fought them and they were light heavyweights. He ducked no other heavyweight that I know of while he was champ. He fought old men in tittle fights because those old men [Charles, Moore and Walcott] were the best heavyweights in the world at that time. If they had been young he would have fought them.
    I saw tombstone on mayfields yard in the 60's

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
      Actually he was 5'11 or 5 '10 about the size of Mike Tyson in height but weighed 185 pounds which would have made him a light heavy to day because I'm sure with the 2 day weigh in they have today compared with the same day weigh in they had back than he would have sucked down to 175 today
      No he was 5'7, the 5'10, 5'11 was just a myth, same way they pump up wrestlers to be bigger than thye are. Rocky M was a very very short fella, if anything he might of been 5'8...he was light, 175 - 180, the guy wasnt a true HW.

He was a decent boxer, although he would get destroyed by many of the powerful HW's we've seen in the lat 30 years or so...

Tyson was a freak of nature, he was a little taller than Rocky. Tyson had devastating power, more so than Rocky M, and also the fact Tyson would duck very low, almost crouching and hit punches from weird angles, with electrifying speed, while moving his head left and right..Rocky M didnt do anything like that, he fought in straight lines, he would have been very easy to hit by one of these big HW's.

Its hard to compare Tyson to anyone, he was a one off, just so damn athletic, fast and powerful and a great technique when he was in his prime. Although even he had his moments against taller guys.

Comment

Same reason they say Joe Calzaghe isn't the greatest of all-time....HE ISN'T!

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
          joe louis was 75 years old when he fought him!!!

Comment

Originally posted by killamoneymike View Post
            K then who is? in hw that is?

Louis (who he beat) ?, Ali who lost 5 times more than Marciano did? Dont give me **** about how old Ali was for a lot of those losses, the man didnt know when to quit. Marciano was the smarter fighter he knew when to quit.

You cant prove anything about era's thats going on pure trivial opinion. Whos to say Rocky's comp was weaker? You dont know that.

Rocky hit hard enough to KO any of these giants today.
            Joe Louis was 87 years old when he fought Rocky Marciano.

Comment

Originally posted by Furn View Post
              how you gonna quote denzel washington? lol

and that doesn't mean it just doesn't count prime joe louis or not i'd say KO'ing him has to still be an accolade.

Comment

shoulda, woulda, coulda.

at the end of the day hes the only hw champion to retire undefeated. On paper, hes the best.
                What was it 62-0? In there somewhere. That's darn great. But, retiring undefeated is not as indicative of greatness as you might think. The GOAT, Julio Cesar Chavez, won his first 87 fights in a row.

Marciano not as great as Joe Louis or Ali. Strength of competition is mainly the reason. As a matter of fact, if you wanna simply concentrate on "whiteness", its a very simple fact in boxing that Jack Dempsey was the greatest white HW that ever lived. I put him number three behind Louis and Ali. Rocky in top 10.

Comment

how you gonna quote denzel washington? lol

and that doesn't mean it just doesn't count prime joe louis or not i'd say KO'ing him has to still be an accolade.
                  joe Louis always lied about his age.

Now when I met Martin Luther the King, back in 1975, I asked him, I said how old old is Joe Louis. he said, Joe Louis is 130 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Furn View Post
                    Doesnt matter, Louis was still the favorite to win back then, he was obviously not in his prime but he was supposed to win so Marciano should get more credit for the win than he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiley Hyena View Post
                      What was it 62-0? In there somewhere. That's darn great. But, retiring undefeated is not as indicative of greatness as you might think. The GOAT, Julio Cesar Chavez, won his first 87 fights in a row.

Marciano not as great as Joe Louis or Ali. Strength of competition is mainly the reason. As a matter of fact, if you wanna simply concentrate on "whiteness", its a very simple fact in boxing that Jack Dempsey was the greatest white HW that ever lived. I put him number three behind Louis and Ali. Rocky in top 10.
                      I don't know how you can rate Dempsey above Johnson but I guess that's another thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X