No announcement yet.

Strategy: How to beat Austin Trout?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    Boxing fans had heard of Trout before the Cotto fight.
    Oh im sure....In the build up to the fight. Looking at his Boxrec Delvin Rodriguez next to Cotto is the only notable win. Even he wasnt a known fighter. Cotto gave this guy a small name in the game. He beat Cotto the same way hes beaten all the other c class fighters in the past. Even though hes fought on shobox a few times with very limited opposition...he still did nothing to to get his name out there or impressive until Cotto!

Comment

With a guy like austin the best thing is to make him do things he isnt used to doing. If you could get him to get off his bike and not be so back foot heavy you could take him out of his game plan. The best shot on a southpaw is a straight right to the gut or chest, it puts your head outside of their lead hand and out of range of any left handed shot. If you could land that shot from round 1 then either pull out of the pocket at an angle or step outside his lead leg and pivot he would be forced to turn or follow you.

Now if you could invest in a tactic like that while jabbing at his lead arm and shoulder while staying on the back foot you may lose the first few rounds but a guy like trout is going to want to outbox you and start coming forward and putting more weight on the lead leg. i think that if you could get him to do that he would be open to more of what he was already getting as well as counter left hooks to the head over his jab and to the body under it seeing how he wont be pulling out of the pocket so quick. While working these tactics youd still have to be stepping around or pulling out on an ane until the 8th round roughly. By then i think he would be looking to land something big and be on front of you to touch him up the middle and work hard shouts around the arms. The key being to keep touching him soft until he starts to set his feet then rip a big one or two shots then turn him to his right and get back to work. The point being to outwork him while hes there and touch him hard before you turn him seeing how be will ne wanting to either return fire or stay defensive. Thats how i always try to fight slick leftys who try to get their points and keep it moving, i try to make them come get me so they are out of their norm

Comment

i think , the best way to fight him is to be a swarmer , close the gap , clinch him and rough em up and throw punches in bunches..make it a close fight and as dirty as possible ..carlos molina would be a decent candidate for the job imo

worked very well for mares, againts a very good boxer in moreno too...

Comment

A Robert Guerrero type strategy. Trout uses space and distance very well, he relies heavily on the jab to set up anything else he might throw but it is also his primary weapon. Trout's favorite combination appears to be the jab, straight left to the body and he leans low to his left while stepping in to land the jab to the body (since he is a southpaw, the leaning to the let like that seems to be a natural tendency).

When he throws the overhand left, he leans heavily to his right side every time he throws it which happens usually when he has the opponent against the ropes after he doubles up on the jab, he will also throw a jab and then follow immediately with that punch but the sequence still happens primarily when the opponent is against the ropes.

Trout also keeps his right hand very low and his face pretty much open when he throws the left uppercut and he pivots his left shoulder a bit before he throw the punch which is a dead give away he is about to throw it.

All this stuff aside (which I quickly took note of from watch clips of 3 of his recent fights), if you allow him to have room to work and you let him dictate the pace, he will be in his comfort zone and probably beat you. Force him to the ropes and take away his space and you will force him to adapt on the fly. Trout can also fight pretty well on the inside but his defense in relies heavily on head movement and low bends from the waist which are all inhibited by closing the space.

I would study hi tapes.....a lot and formulate a game plan based on his tendencies and practice it and study his tape until you have every movement memorized and executed in the gym. He is versatile but he provides you with plenty of opportunities to hit him.

Comment

All his other opponents have failed,due to lack of power.The Trout finishing maneuver is the lights out no doubt Alvarez over hand right.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
              His only real flaw is speed?? You're right you really haven't seen much of Trout. Hell I've heard that ginger is supposed to be faster, lol!!
              Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

I've heard that aswell!
              Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
              He might not be the slowest fighter. He is not. But he does not have above average speed. What do you think his flaws are? I am just trying to learn about the game. Contribute if you can.....

Comment

Thanks to all of those who gave me their opinions. I always like to know of the possible ways to defeat a particular style.

Has Trout had any real close fights in the pros? I know he was defeated by Vanes in the amateurs but I would like to see more footage of someone handling his style.

Comment

Working...
                X