No announcement yet.

looks like it'll be Gavin Rees facing Adrien Broner on Feb 16th on HBO

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    I like how it's okay for Donaire to fight guys like Arce, Vazquez, #7 ranked Mathebula and an old Nishioka, as long as he keeps his activity up, it's okay.

But Broner wants to stay active, fight top 10 ranked fighters within his division but people complain. He may be fighting Rees now, Burns in May and possibly another big fight by the end of the year.
    i've seen lots of people complain about donaire getting the "fighter of the year" award just because he was active, like you said. the people who say nonito deserved it for being active shouldn't be complaining about this fight if broner plans to be active in 2013. he's already got 2 dates lined up.
    if this fight is signed, i kind of wished hbo had a bigger fight to headline. this should be an undercard to a bigger fight imo. not sure though seeing as mitchell/banks II is suppose to be the undercard to this. it is what it is. i'm not really interested in this matchup.

Comment

Who is Gavin Rees? I guess HBO didn't want to come up with the cash to bring Burns to the USA.

Comment

So how is Donaire fighting completely unproven Wilfredo Vazquez Jr, who was coming off getting KO'd by Arce in 2011, a legit win over a Top 10 SBW. But Broner fighting Rees, who's unproven as well but still top 10 at 135, is a crappy pick???

Rees' countryman ducked the February 16th fight. This isn't an amazing fight or anything, but Broner is staying active fighting every 3-4 months, and Rees is another Top 10 fighter at 135 he can add there. As long as Burns doesn't duck him after this, Broner will get that fight before he leaves 135, possibly Gamboa too if 50 is serious about making that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by BTTAG145 View Post
          Who is Gavin Rees? I guess HBO didn't want to come up with the cash to bring Burns to the USA.
          The guy wants 650K after taxes or no fight. I mean he's not going to get that as the B-side of the fight. Burns used the he can't make weight at 130 anymore excuse to get out of the Broner fight in Fall 2011 and now he's using a god damn tax excuse to not fight him in February.

Comment

Mehh. I guess a stay busy fight but sorta sucks. If Broner really is on the may 4th card though i don't fault him. Stays active and gets known a bit more, and would help if they could get burns on the undercard for the 4th. GBP would really put together a big card if they could get May Canelo Broner and possibly Khan on that card.... I wouldn't be mad.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
              The guy wants 650K after taxes or no fight. I mean he's not going to get that as the B-side of the fight. Burns used the he can't make weight at 130 anymore excuse to get out of the Broner fight in Fall 2011 and now he's using a god damn tax excuse to not fight him in February.
              In the US, giving up home advantage. They would not request that fee if Broner wants to fight him in Glasgow (Scotland).

Would Broner go? maybe, if they paid him enough - which is the same as what Burns is saying.

Regarding the weight issue, he speaks on it here 2:20 onwards

Last edited by Weebler I; 12-27-2012, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                I was hoping for Broner-Abril. I don't know anything about Rees except he's ranked #6 at 135.
                Lost to Kotelnik. Short, slow, no defence, typical weak Brit.

Comment

So how is Donaire fighting completely unproven Wilfredo Vazquez Jr, who was coming off getting KO'd by Arce in 2011, a legit win over a Top 10 SBW. But Broner fighting Rees, who's unproven as well but still top 10 at 135, is a crappy pick???

Rees' countryman ducked the February 16th fight. This isn't an amazing fight or anything, but Broner is staying active fighting every 3-4 months, and Rees is another Top 10 fighter at 135 he can add there. As long as Burns doesn't duck him after this, Broner will get that fight before he leaves 135, possibly Gamboa too if 50 is serious about making that fight.
                  Vasquez Jr is much better than Rees. Rees is a cherry picker himself.

Comment

What happened to Abril or at least Vazquez? Rees is going to get torn to shreads

Comment

It's a Top 10 Lightweight, but I was really hoping for something better than this. Abril is matched with Bogere though, and Vazquez has a tiny chance if happening since Zanfer works closely with Top Rank.

Burns needs to fight Broner after this though, no excuses.

Broner's keeping his activity up, much like Donaire though, who got praised for fighting Vazquez Jr, Arce, and Mathebula. They really aren't much better than Gavin Rees.

I was hoping if Burns wasn't going to fight Broner in February, that he and Rees would fight instead. Hopefully Broner-Burns happens after this.
                      Just peeped that too. Happy that fight is back on. Broner is gonna beat Rees like he owes him money, it could be one of those classic beatdowns where afterwards, we wonder what the fuck Rees was thinking by putting his name on the dotted line.

Comment

Working...
                      X