Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lennox Lewis is one of the most underrated champions of all times. Shame shame shame.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    I'm sure. And Lennox signed to fight McCall probably. Don't recall but I was probably a bigger fan of the sport back then than I am today. Seemed like HBO was more about putting on great fights and not just attempting to create "superstars" for the money machine. Not to go off topic, but a great example of this was Angel Manfredy. Manfredy had a bit of a schtick but was also a solid, well-schooled fighter. And he was feature prominently on Boxing After Dark. And kept winning until he landed a big fight against Gatti. And schooled Gatti a bit en route to the upset (though not an upset if you had been following Manfredy). I don't see HBO doing that as much but maybe they are and I'm just seeing things through different lenses. Either way, boxing was great back then. Actually, I kinda like where it is now too.
    boxing was great back then i agree...today's boxing...eh, i can wait until its youtubed..., but i dig building on fighters from the 70's to the 90's-early 00's..

Comment

Me too . Was in a house with a bunch of Tyson fans and I was talking **** about Holyfield winning before the fight, during the fight and after the fight. I should've put some money on that fight because as soon as it was signed, I knew Holyfield was gonna get in his ass. 25-1 odds. Sigh. If only I was a little older I could've made off sweet smh.
      I know by the time I saw the odds like the day before the fight it was 6-1. It's funny how everyone thought Tyson was such a wrecking ball. Even up until like 2006 there were people who thought Tyson could still dominate if he just got in shape. I'll never forget how mad this one kid got because I wouldn't change my mind to pick Tyson right before the fight. He literally wanted to fight me over it.

The other fight I could of made money on was Hopkins Trinidad.

Comment

Originally posted by Davis40 View Post
        See I only watched the fight once and I don't score them like a judge. I just go by what I see in the ring and what I think. I know people will say that's wrong but like one of my trainers told me a long time ago you can sit a 5 year old in front of a fight and he can tell you who won. I thought it was close but Mercer deserved the win and just fought better overall. Foe me he boxed better, did more damage and was just taking it to Lewis who was lackadaisical all night.

That's not wrong, that's exactly what I do . I always watch a fight without "scoring" it in the traditional sense. I just watch and, in a sort of innate way, you can actually see who "won" the fight better. Probably doesn't make any sense but I think you understand. And when I watch the fight thereafter, I try scoring it using the judge's system.

So that's what I did with Lewis-Mercer and I've scored it for Lewis by one round twice now. And in a fight like that I'm not surprised some people scored it for Mercer initially. It was a close fight and you could make a strong case for him. Throw in his underdog status and a heavily biased crowd at the Garden and his performance looks that much better. Nevertheless, I had Lennox winning that fight.

Comment

nice job exposing yourself newb. No one thought Golata was going to beat Lewis. No way
          You know Tyson ducked Lewis, right?

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
            he went to court 2x with king and tyson, and was offered step-aside $ both times, for which he took...millions if i remember correctly...

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

Comment

That's not wrong, that's exactly what I do . I always watch a fight without "scoring" it in the traditional sense. I just watch and, in a sort of innate way, you can actually see who "won" the fight better. Probably doesn't make any sense but I think you understand. And when I watch the fight thereafter, I try scoring it using the judge's system.

So that's what I did with Lewis-Mercer and I've scored it for Lewis by one round twice now. And in a fight like that I'm not surprised some people scored it for Mercer initially. It was a close fight and you could make a strong case for him. Throw in his underdog status and a heavily biased crowd at the Garden and his performance looks that much better. Nevertheless, I had Lennox winning that fight.
              I'd like to watch it again now and see if I see it any differently. I'm not big on watching fights when I already know the outcome though. It's just not the same. It takes the excitement out of it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by yoz View Post
                I think they both ducked each other at one point. Lewis at one point I think thought he wasn't ready for Tyson. You have to remember Tyson was peaking when Lewis was still green.

Comment

I know by the time I saw the odds like the day before the fight it was 6-1. It's funny how everyone thought Tyson was such a wrecking ball. Even up until like 2006 there were people who thought Tyson could still dominate if he just got in shape. I'll never forget how mad this one kid got because I wouldn't change my mind to pick Tyson right before the fight. He literally wanted to fight me over it.

The other fight I could of made money on was Hopkins Trinidad.
                  I didn't see Hopkins-Tito coming. I should have. But I was a huge Tito fan and he looked unstoppable at that point. But Hopkins' performance that night was jaw-dropping. Truthfully, he could've beaten Trinidad a lot of different ways that night, he just took the opportunity to show everyone his all-time great skills.

Comment

Originally posted by yoz View Post
                    You have to remember Tyson was already a world champion 2-3 years before Lewis even had a pro fight.

Comment

I didn't see Hopkins-Tito coming. I should have. But I was a huge Tito fan and he looked unstoppable at that point. But Hopkins' performance that night was jaw-dropping. Truthfully, he could've beaten Trinidad a lot of different ways that night, he just took the opportunity to show everyone his all-time great skills.
                      Is your name George Foreman by any chance?

Comment

Working...
                      X