Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lennox Lewis is one of the most underrated champions of all times. Shame shame shame.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Davis40 View Post
    nice job exposing yourself newb. No one thought Golata was going to beat Lewis. No way
    A lot of people tabbed Golota to beat him. And no one thought Lewis would flatten him in one round.

Comment

Originally posted by Davis40 View Post
      Sure, he beat Rahman when Rahman was sleeping and unprepared. He had a boring style most of the time and large size advantage over his opponents. He should of fought Holyfeild and Tyson much earlier. I know Bowe wouldn't fight him but Ray Mercer taxed that azz and got robbed.
      he went to court 2x with king and tyson, and was offered step-aside $ both times, for which he took...millions if i remember correctly...

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
        he went to court 2x with king and tyson, and was offered step-aside $ both times, for which he took...millions if i remember correctly...
        I think he took step-aside money once.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
          I think he took step-aside money once.
          who did mike fight the first time lewis stepped aside? was it seldon or holy 1?

Comment

Just inside the Top 10. H2H, probably Top 5.

But I mean his biggest win was a past prime-still good Holyfield. It isn't Lewis' fault he was robbed of the biggest HW fight that could have happened during the 90's, Bowe-Lewis. That would have been the career defining fight for him.

Comment

who did mike fight the first time lewis stepped aside? was it seldon or holy 1?
              I believe it was Holyfield, not sure. It did occur in 1996 though.

Comment

The World Boxing Council wants Tyson to defend against Lennox Lewis of England, a former champion and now its No. 1 contender. Lewis turned down a $13.5 million guarantee to fight Tyson. Lewis then accepted $4 million from King to step aside and allow Tyson to fight Seldon, with the proviso that Tyson, assuming he beat Seldon, would fight Lewis next. Tyson is expected to receive $30 million for fighting Seldon.
                http://www.nytimes.com/1996/07/04/sp...l?pagewanted=2

The $13.5 million offer was reported in the NY Times prior to Tyson's scheduled fight with Seldon July 1996 (the fight was postponed0.

BOXING MONTHLY June 1996 reports a $10 milliomn offer before the Mercer-Lewis fight and says :

"Tyson and King, have paid Lewis $4 million as a step-aside fee so that tyson can go ahead with his challenge to WBA champ Bruce Seldon at the MGM Grand, Las Vegas on 13 July. Much of that money may be used to cover the legal fees that Lewis's handlers in Britain, Panix Promotions, and the USA, Main events, have spent fighting his case in U.S. courts.

Lewis prefers to look upon the huge step-aside fee as a sign that Tyson is scared of him. "If Tyson is so confident, why will he pay not to fight me ?" he asks.

The counter-question could be asked that if Lewis was so confident, why did he turn down $10 million, the highest purse of Lewis's career, for a fight with Tyson, an offer made prior to the Mercer fight ?

Lewis can think what he likes, but the truth is $4 million is relative chicken feed to the Tyson industry. Tyson will likely earn another $30 million payday for trashing Seldon and can well afford to spend a little in order to shut out Lewis for a while longer.

Tyson himself will not be scared of Lewis, least of all after having seen the trouble Mercer caused him. but he and his handlers will resent being pushed around by a "Duva-friendly" judge in New Jersey. Essentially, they have spent $4 million in order to regroup and buy time before deciding their next move."

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
                  I think he lost to Ray Mercer and it always seemed like Lewis pawed with his jab to me.
                  I've watched the Mercer fight twice in the past few months and I thought Lewis edged it. It was a close fight however and there were a lot of incredible exchanges in close quarters. Mercer's jab is just wonderful and he took a great shot. Outstanding amateur pedigree as well but was inconsistent as a pro. He was highly motivated against Lennox though. But Lewis was up for it as well and, in the midst of the arguments over who actually won, I think his performance was underrated.*

As far as Lennox's jab, *I'd say yes, he did paw with it at times. But usually by design. Lewis had a great boxing mind. And a great jab, which he mixed up, worked to the head and body, and used to set up his arsenal of bombs from both fists. And he could throw every punch in the book. His right hand has been noted countless times but his left hook was sick, as were his left and right uppercuts. He really was an excellent fighter and I think a lot of credit has to go to Manny Steward, who transformed him and took his career to heights few thought Lewis would ever reach.

Comment

The World Boxing Council wants Tyson to defend against Lennox Lewis of England, a former champion and now its No. 1 contender. Lewis turned down a $13.5 million guarantee to fight Tyson. Lewis then accepted $4 million from King to step aside and allow Tyson to fight Seldon, with the proviso that Tyson, assuming he beat Seldon, would fight Lewis next. Tyson is expected to receive $30 million for fighting Seldon.
                    http://www.nytimes.com/1996/07/04/sp...l?pagewanted=2

The $13.5 million offer was reported in the NY Times prior to Tyson's scheduled fight with Seldon July 1996 (the fight was postponed0.

BOXING MONTHLY June 1996 reports a $10 milliomn offer before the Mercer-Lewis fight and says :

"Tyson and King, have paid Lewis $4 million as a step-aside fee so that tyson can go ahead with his challenge to WBA champ Bruce Seldon at the MGM Grand, Las Vegas on 13 July. Much of that money may be used to cover the legal fees that Lewis's handlers in Britain, Panix Promotions, and the USA, Main events, have spent fighting his case in U.S. courts.

Lewis prefers to look upon the huge step-aside fee as a sign that Tyson is scared of him. "If Tyson is so confident, why will he pay not to fight me ?" he asks.

The counter-question could be asked that if Lewis was so confident, why did he turn down $10 million, the highest purse of Lewis's career, for a fight with Tyson, an offer made prior to the Mercer fight ?

Lewis can think what he likes, but the truth is $4 million is relative chicken feed to the Tyson industry. Tyson will likely earn another $30 million payday for trashing Seldon and can well afford to spend a little in order to shut out Lewis for a while longer.

Tyson himself will not be scared of Lewis, least of all after having seen the trouble Mercer caused him. but he and his handlers will resent being pushed around by a "Duva-friendly" judge in New Jersey. Essentially, they have spent $4 million in order to regroup and buy time before deciding their next move."
                    So it was Seldon in 1996. I remember it was $4m in step-aside money. I wonder what happened after the Seldon fight though.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                      A lot of people tabbed Golota to beat him. And no one thought Lewis would flatten him in one round.
                      Dont get me wrong I'm not saying no one on earth tabbed him to win I'm just saying he wasn't the overwelming favorite like the op was making it seem. Nor was he the favorite at all.

The odds, which opened two months ago favoring Lewis, 9-5, had dropped to 6-5 on the day of the fight.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.dmQ&cad=rja

He should of fought tyson the first time I think it would of been an easier fight then Mercer who kicked his butt in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                      X