Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did the CBS Boxing show do in tv ratings?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off topic but they should have put Angulo Silva on CBS and they should have matched Santa Cruz with a guy who would sit in the pocket and trade and not move so much.

Comment

Showtime have been showing free fights (with commercials). Cotto/Trout and Khan/Molina.

Comment

Showtime is pay cable.

The choice of Santa-Cruz was probably a calculated move by GBP. Put a fighter who's not PPV ready or ready to headline an HBO or Showtime card on network TV where those who watch know nothing about modern boxing and for all they know this guy could be the next Manny Pacquiao, and they'll see his action-fighting style and think all fights are like this and thus tune into fights more on HBO or Showtime. Cost effective and good way to convert non-fans.

Comment

Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
          what's the logic behind that?
          Cable pays more. That's why boxing left network TV in the first place. They chased the money. Oscar has to adhere to the demands to return boxing to network TV at some point, and if the first card fails the fans will be too shy to ask again in future. Also notice how he jumped in right before Duva so he could make the first impression.

That's the same reason boxing moved mostly to Sky sports in the UK. Sky pays a hell of a lot more than the public channels. Once Degale, Eubank and Fury become worth something they'll jump ship immediately.

Comment

This felt more like an informational for Showtime boxing more than "Boxing is back on network tv!" to me. They barely showed any ads during the breaks like I expected.

Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
            I think golden boy dropped the ball with this opportunity. 118 pounders never get much attention
            Boxing has been off the grid for so long that I think the whole weight distinction doesn't even matter anymore for the mainstream who don't watch boxing regularly. If a non-boxing fan hears there's going to be boxing on CBS during during a commercial break, they'll probably make their decision solely based on whether they feel like staying tuned for boxing after the basketball game is over without even knowing what the weight class the fight will be in.
            Last edited by BlueBettle; 12-16-2012, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X