No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Showtime's Espinoza Discusses Counter-Programming

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Showtime's Espinoza Discusses Counter-Programming

Boxing fans will be forced to choose again Saturday night between simultaneous shows broadcast by HBO and Showtime.

HBO will televise the 122-pound championship bout between “The Filipino Flash,” Nonito Donaire (30-1, 19 KOs), and Mexico’s Jorge Arce (61-6-2, 46 KOs, 1 NC) from Houston. Showtime will counter with a 12-round junior welterweight main event that’ll pit England’s Amir Khan (26-3, 18 KOs) against Carlos Molina (17-0-1, 7 KOs), of Rosemead, Calif., from Los Angeles.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I hope the counter programming trend ends soon. It's Bad business and it reduces the maximized profit of the card. Sept 15 was the biggest example. Both shows did great but had one of the Chavez/Martinez or Canelo/Lopez fight card went on a Friday, then the profit would have been maximized for both cards. I don't see why either one of those cards could've went on a Friday? Ego? Possibly. In the future I hope promoters will take this in consideration. Cinco de mayo and Mexican Independence weekends are big business days for boxing and I hope in the near future that Promoters will consider going on a Friday rather than head to head on the same night. Heck, boxing fans would love to see back to back good cards on a Friday and then a Saturday.

Comment

Bs

Espinoza is a puppet for golden boy and al haymon. Al got him the job at showtime so he's going to be very extremely biased in buying fights that are of better quality from other promoters when GDP and haymon need a date or present a lesser option. Watch MMA slowly get phased out of showtime as that will help the boxing budget and allow him to overpay for certain fights from golden boy.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGoldenChamp View Post
        I hope the counter programming trend ends soon. It's Bad business and it reduces the maximized profit of the card. Sept 15 was the biggest example. Both shows did great but had one of the Chavez/Martinez or Canelo/Lopez fight card went on a Friday, then the profit would have been maximized for both cards. I don't see why either one of those cards could've went on a Friday? Ego? Possibly. In the future I hope promoters will take this in consideration. Cinco de mayo and Mexican Independence weekends are big business days for boxing and I hope in the near future that Promoters will consider going on a Friday rather than head to head on the same night. Heck, boxing fans would love to see back to back good cards on a Friday and then a Saturday.
        Get a DVR, problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by el malo View Post
          Get a DVR, problem solved.
          But watching an anticipated fight on DVR when u wanna watch it live sucks. I could understand if you have something personal to do to miss the fight but when ur willing to watch a live event and knowing u have to choose between two good fights sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGoldenChamp View Post
            excellent post. why do the best matches HAVE to be on a saturday night? and why do they even HAVE to be on the weekend at all? playoff games in other sports aren't restricted to the weekends. i would actually prefer if fights were on any other night besides saturday.

they should take the show on the road and build fanbases. with pretty much all major fights being in vegas or socal...if you arent from there you have to take a vacation to see it live. people will go out to see dudes play with balls on any given night of the week, why not watch a fight? and i'm sure showing fights on a non-weekend night...you know when everyone likes to go out and do stuff that isnt sitting in a house watching a tv....might actually increase ratings. but no, boxing can't interfere with your precious tuesday night plans lol.

Comment

Working...
            X