Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IF Floyd ends his career with Canelo/Martinez...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
    Macklin would use that Mayweatheresque style guard to negate Sergio's left hand. It took Martinez a lot of work to get around Macklin's guard.

Macklin kept landing rights to the body against Martinez. Unlike Mayweather, Macklin doesn't have that Black Slickness required to do fancy maneuvers such as the bob and weave after throwing a right to avoid return fire.

Martinez hands down wouldn't do him any favors against Floyd who is a master at throwing short straight shots.
    From a standpoint of styles, this analysis makes sense, but it fails to take into account that Martinez is a very smart fighter who can make adjustments. For example, I think he would learn that he can't let his hands down against Floyd for that long, assuming that Floyd is still fast enough to do any damage.

Comment

So apparently according to the Floyd groupies(the supposed #1 ranked fighter at 154 and who holds the 154 WBA belt) shouldn't fight Martinez at 154 is because Martinez is 'too good and Floyd would lose.' Well how about Trout? He easily beat Cotto (without getting his nose broken) in his own backyard. Maybe Floyd wouldn't get as much credit as he would fighting Martinez but it'd be a more winnable fight--or is he also 'too good' to fight Mayweather?

Comment

Originally posted by I'm so sorry View Post
        This is true, it's sad that he did that to himself but at least he gets to keep the 0 and health or whatever it is that he was campaigning. He won't fight Sergio...
        You fans kill me. Pacquiao is the biggest loser with the mega fight not being made. Mayweather is still p4p #1 and the current biggest draw in boxing. Pacquiao turned down 40 million to take less money and got knocked out cold. Now he's on a losing streak with his family telling him to retire. Pacquiao cut his nose off to spite his face, and you fans are too dumb to see that. He shouldve took the 40 million and fought Mayweather then came back to Marquez. Now the 40 million dollar payday is gone bye-bye, never to be seen again. Mayweather can make 40 million fighting Guerrero.

Comment

I have no problem with Floyd fighting any champ at 154, Sergio isn't a champ at 154. I'd rather see Floyd fight him at 160 but either way he most likely gets RJJ'd ala the Toney fight, except worse as Sergio has that southpaw thing going as well as being much bigger than mayweather

if they stood face to face people would see how much bigger Martinez is over mayweather

Comment

To hell with all the ****ing "IF'S" when it comes to fighters. This is truly sad that we have to talk about "if's" so much when it comes to this era of fighters and them not fighting and leaving so much up to speculation. The fighters, promoter, managers, advisors and TV stations are all full of *****!!

Comment

Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
              I have no choice, but to call him the greatest boxer of this ERA.

IF Floyd, fights and beats Canelo, then goes onto fight, AND beat Sergio Martinez, no boxing fan, casual or die hard can deny his status as the greatest boxer/fighter of this ERA.

The problem is, I don't think he would ever take on this challenge.

No one can deny his technical boxing, greatness. H2H, I think he holds up against any 130 lb. fighter. i remember watching him fight Corrales live on HBO. I remember looking forward to that fight for months at that time. I honestly did not expect him to put on a boxing lesson like that. If there's one, single fight that displayed all his talent, THAT was THE one. After that fight, I was HOOKED.

I'm gonna keep it real. When Floyd retired, after beating Hatton, I wasn't even mad. Since he was my favorite fighter at the time, I felt like he earned a retirement at that point ( at the time, I was a huge boxing fan, but was still a noob, because I didn't follow boxing, like I do today). I felt like he'd beat Cotto at the time. Not because I completely broke down, and assessed the fight, but because I thought he could beat any fighter at the time, within his weight class.

The only fighters I thought he'd have trouble with were Paul Williams, Mosley, and Margarito. Let me make this clear. I am not bashing Floyd in any way possible for not taking those fights. If you truly followed his whole career, you knew that he was naturally too small to fight those guys at the time.

There are a lot of details I'm skipping, because I don't want to turn this into long winded post (even though I already have).

At the end of the day. Floyd is undoubtedly, one of the greatest to ever put on a pair of boxing gloves, in any generation/ERA. He made me a fan when he was younger, and fighting some top notch fighters. Then he moved to WW, and sort of flaked.

I also followed Pacquiao's career, since his early days. When Floyd retired, Manny filled that void of boxing excitement/greatness, and then some.

I'm going to be completely honest. I don't remember, exactly when I started disliking Floyd. I was so caught up in Manny's career, and thought floyd came back, because he didn't want another fighter to take his p4p shine (even though everyone knew he was coming back).

At the time, I fell in love with Manny's fighting style, and his pension to go up, and have great success, against naturally bigger fighters. I always root for the under dog, so I was a total Pacquiao homer.

Then Floyd came back, and started dissing him. That's when I had to choose sides. Not going to get into that.

Long story short. IF Floyd fights, and beats both Canelo, and Sergio. He goes down as the GREATEST FIGHTER/BOXER OF THIS ERA. Hands down.

I don't think anyone could possibly make an arguemnt.

I'm truthfully speaking as a way bigger Pacquiao fan, but I'll give that title up to him, IF he accomplishes those 2 things, before he retires.
              I agree with this post but i think floyd would've still been too quick and technical for margarito and mosley even then but paul the punisher may have givin him problems although i'd have mayweather by UD in it.

Comment

i don't think floyd could beat martinez. so therefore it's a win-win situation in my book. i'd give him credit for taking the challenge and wouldn't hold it against him if he lost.

Comment

Originally posted by slacquiao View Post
                  From a standpoint of styles, this analysis makes sense, but it fails to take into account that Martinez is a very smart fighter who can make adjustments. For example, I think he would learn that he can't let his hands down against Floyd for that long, assuming that Floyd is still fast enough to do any damage.
                  That was briefly mentioned.
                  Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                  true

watching the Macklin-Martinez fight was enough to show me Floyd's style would be effective against Martinez.

Macklin would use that Mayweatheresque style guard to negate Sergio's left hand. It took Martinez a lot of work to get around Macklin's guard.

Macklin kept landing rights to the body against Martinez. Unlike Mayweather, Macklin doesn't have that Black Slickness required to do fancy maneuvers such as the bob and weave after throwing a right to avoid return fire.

Martinez hands down wouldn't do him any favors against Floyd who is a master at throwing short straight shots.
                  What I learned from watching Martinez is that he can make adjustments, but it takes him time to do it. I saw this as early as the Cintron fight.

Floyd's adjustments are real time and instantaneous.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie
                    Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm so sorry

This is true, it's sad that he did that to himself but at least he gets to keep the 0 and health or whatever it is that he was campaigning. He won't fight Sergio...

You fans kill me. Pacquiao is the biggest loser with the mega fight not being made. Mayweather is still p4p #1 and the current biggest draw in boxing. Pacquiao turned down 40 million to take less money and got knocked out cold. Now he's on a losing streak with his family telling him to retire. Pacquiao cut his nose off to spite his face, and you fans are too dumb to see that. He shouldve took the 40 million and fought Mayweather then came back to Marquez. Now the 40 million dollar payday is gone bye-bye, never to be seen again. Mayweather can make 40 million fighting Guerrero.
                    Floyd is the bigger loser. he turned down 100 Milly. last I checked, 100>>40. all over an ordinary, one dimensional midget who fights shot or weight drained fighters.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

that wouldn't be a bad combo to end his career with

Comment

Working...
                      X