No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Manny Pacquiao Vows - "There Will Be More Fights!"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by $ j-210 $ View Post
    Yep pacquiao was looking real sharp. He was fluid with his in and out movements, he was finding home for is strait left. He was looking the best he ever has against jmm. Manny just got overconfident going for the kill and ended up getting ko'd himself.
    Not to mention that he showed great head movement. If he fought that way against anyone else, he would've gotten the ko.

Comment

I'm glad to hear this, no true great like Pacman deserves to leave the sport on a sour note.

The only concern I have is what impact that KO will have on him moving forward, in terms of both punch resistance and confidence. Manny can't be tentative and win, he needs to have the same belief to commit to his punches as he's always had. He was 2 seconds away from taking a 5-1 lead on the cards, and looking very good in the process, so he's very much still there as a top quality fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
        I'm glad to hear this, no true great like Pacman deserves to leave the sport on a sour note.

The only concern I have is what impact that KO will have on him moving forward, in terms of both punch resistance and confidence. Manny can't be tentative and win, he needs to have the same belief to commit to his punches as he's always had. He was 2 seconds away from taking a 5-1 lead on the cards, and looking very good in the process, so he's very much still there as a top quality fighter.
        That chin could be permanently cracked alright.

I have to say that part for the reason he looked pretty good was that Marquez was giving him a target. Against just about any fighter in the world who exchanges with him, Pacquiao is likely to beat them up. No matter how impressive they are as offensive fighters themselves.

The problem for Pacquiao is that he doesn't have the workrate and the energy to force committed counter-punchers into exchanges anymore. He has slowed down as a welterweight and the years of wars have begun to catch up with him. This is why a rematch with Bradley is a bad idea for him. Despite looking good the other night, he'd fall back into the pattern of struggling to close the distance and overextending and lunging as a result.

If Pacquiao truly is on his retirement tour, than he might as well fight appropriate opponents, play the hits like any band that are cashing in. It's not as if he hasn't had enough great fights to secure his legacy.

The only problem is though, Golden Boy probably own all the best opponents that are out there for him. So a Matthysse, or an Ortiz aren't really available to him. All he's left with is a Rios.

Comment

Working...
        X