Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Pacquiao-Marquez the greatest boxing rivalry of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not the greatest but one of the greatest

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
      Those are trilogies! A rival is on going! They try to equal or surpass one another but its on going! There was never a Draw in anyone you mentioned! Those were rubber matches! So close in fact and always left in controversial that its demand to silence the critics made them a Rivalry!
      i may not agree but this is a good point.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
        Dude, it's a rivalry. You're on an island here.
        I gave my opinion and why I feel this way. and please after less than 30 posts lets not act like that is enough of a sample to determine public opinion.

Comment

Nope, Ali Frazier is better imo.

Comment

Barrera and Morales for me man,

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
              I gave my opinion and why I feel this way. and please after less than 30 posts lets not act like that is enough of a sample to determine public opinion.
              30 posts, millions of pay buys, global press interest, Twitter insanity...all at varied times in their four fights. Your opine is fine in terms of this not rating as one of the great rivalries for you. To say it's not, in general, a classic rivalry, leaves you in a pretty small group.

Broad public opinion is easy to discern here. That we got four fantastic fights and that people will still be debating scoring on the first three and talking this KO years from now (and they will be) is what a classic rivalry is all about.

Not every opinion is a very strong one brah. No big...I have opinions that I later wonder 'why the hell did I think that' when I can contextualize. The lightbulb will go off for you on this one for at least grudging acknowledgement eventually.

Comment

One of them but not "The Greatest"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
                  Fair points but I was not around then and can't possibly know how I would feel about them if I was. I just know that the 2nd fight didn't take place when it should have and the 4th fight shouldn't have been made period. That is not a rivalry.

To Konstatntin: the last 2 fights wre supposed to be blowouts by Manny to set up floyd fights. They had 3 close fights but in each fight after the 1st manny was at least a 3-1 favorite in each because he was moving JMM up in weight. These are not 2 evenly matched fighters in the same weight class.
                  If you watched the fights you'd know that they are 2 evenly matched fighters of the same size. I don't see how public opinion before the fight has much to do with it.

Castillo-Corrales had no hype whatsoever before the fight. They didn't even fill up the place they were fighting at - it is still one of the greatest fights of all time.

Conversely Castillo-Corrales 2 had all the hype in the world but didnt' turn out to be half as exciting as the first.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                    30 posts, millions of pay buys, global press interest, Twitter insanity...all at varied times in their four fights. Your opine is fine in terms of this not rating as one of the great rivalries for you. To say it's not, in general, a classic rivalry, leaves you in a pretty small group.

Broad public opinion is easy to discern here. That we got four fantastic fights and that people will still be debating scoring on the first three and talking this KO years from now (and they will be) is what a classic rivalry is all about.

Not every opinion is a very strong one brah. No big...I have opinions that I later wonder 'why the hell did I think that' when I can contextualize. The lightbulb will go off for you on this one for at least grudging acknowledgement eventually.
                    a classic rivalry is about competition between 2 men. the last 3 fights were not about that, they were about sustaining Manny's earning capability. history will never change that.

Comment

Originally posted by Since 1985 View Post
                      Nope, Ali Frazier is better imo.
                      Realistically its not.

1 fight was close, one fight was dominated by Ali, and the 3rd fight was considered largely irrelevant, with Frazier considered to be spent, but became a war.

Comment

Working...
                      X