Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is crossfit training popular in the boxing world?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. it is extremely beneficial. My gym uses cross fitness with boxing training. we don't use heavy weights except for dead lifting. All of our training is based on endurance for strength and cardio. Explosive exercises are the best for boxing. All the amateurs, including me, greatly improved while there.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyp4p View Post
      Yes. it is extremely beneficial. My gym uses cross fitness with boxing training. we don't use heavy weights except for dead lifting. All of our training is based on endurance for strength and cardio. Explosive exercises are the best for boxing. All the amateurs, including me, greatly improved while there.
      I would agree that it is beneficial ensuring perfroming each excersize correctly, we could all post examples of things being done badly.

Is it beneficial to do any type of excersize badly?

I would say it has more postives than negatives.

Comment

Crossfit and Sealfit are very common among boxers, professional and otherwise. It's obviously just a type of circuit training, and any training footage you watch of any top level guys show them doing it.

I had been against Crossfit for years, I think there is too much chance for injury, especially considering how they basically preach bad form. That said, it does get you in shape and if done properly is very beneficial, but not on it's own. I see it more as supplemental work than as a key part of anyone's routine.

Sealfit is better than Crossfit though, if your mentally tough enough to handle the workouts.

Is it beneficial to do any type of excersize badly?
        The danger comes from doing explosive lifting exercises(Olympic style lifts, Squats, Deads, etc) large numbers of reps for time. The main argument is that if your racing to get a max number of reps in a set time, your form will suffer either from you being too fatigued to keep good form or your sacrificing form to make up time.

I'm sure we can all agree that is dangerous, especially considering the main thing when doing any style of lift or exercise is proper form, not speed. The fact of the mater is all weight lifting and the like are 'dangerous', I used to use this argument against Crossfit myself.
        Last edited by raf727; 12-10-2012, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by raf727 View Post
          Crossfit and Sealfit are very common among boxers, professional and otherwise. It's obviously just a type of circuit training, and any training footage you watch of any top level guys show them doing it.

I had been against Crossfit for years, I think there is too much chance for injury, especially considering how they basically preach bad form. That said, it does get you in shape and if done properly is very beneficial, but not on it's own. I see it more as supplemental work than as a key part of anyone's routine.

Sealfit is better than Crossfit though, if your mentally tough enough to handle the workouts.

The danger comes from doing explosive lifting exercises(Olympic style lifts, Squats, Deads, etc) large numbers of reps for time. The main argument is that if your racing to get a max number of reps in a set time, your form will suffer either from you being too fatigued to keep good form or your sacrificing form to make up time.

I'm sure we can all agree that is dangerous, especially considering the main thing when doing any style of lift or exercise is proper form, not speed. The fact of the mater is all weight lifting and the like are 'dangerous', I used to use this argument against Crossfit myself.

Once you have learned to do anything properly you can then build speed into it.

To me its like anything else, you take your time and you get better, when you first start to do any type of training you need to take it slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by vacon04 View Post
            What Daaaaa Faaaaaaauuuuuuuuuk!

Never knew it was this bad!

Comment

Working...
            X