No announcement yet.

Ward now has to defend against Kessler.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post

At the postfight presser, Kessler jabbed at Ward's reluctance to fight in a foreign country. He even said he wouldn't mind having the rematch in jOakland at which point Sauerland broke in saying that a return in Oakland would never happen. If it is to be in the States it would be Vegas or New York.

i'm failing to see why it matters when one fighter so thuroughly outclassed the other in the first fight.

let's be real. this fight wouldn't even happen if there were better names at 168 for andre ward to fight. there is no reason for it.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      not really

the big money generally comes from american TV. kessler and his boys are wealthy and will probably be competitive, but it's hard to get an american fighter who has an in with HBO to fight in europe.

the problem with this one is that the first fight was not competitive, and HBO probably won't pick it up. they're the ones behind ward now. if he wants to make big money it's on their airwaves.
      Nevertheless Kessler got more fighting Allan Green than Ward did fighting Dawson and wasn't that fight on HBO?

Comment

I want to see Kessler-Froch 2. The winner can then face Ward, so he can take the other two titles at 168.

Comment

Nevertheless Kessler got more fighting Allan Green than Ward did fighting Dawson and wasn't that fight on HBO?
          yes, it was ward's first hbo main event if memory serves right. he was on hbo very early on in his career, but fought his major fights on showtime.

green would have commanded much less of a percentage than dawson as well, holding up the b side of the card.

ward and dawson was actually one of the lowest purses you'll ever see on hbo between top fighters.

the intention with andre ward would be to eventually build him to an american pay per view fighter, which is the peak of earnings in the sport. he's a tough sell. he doesn't have a style or the personality for it. he's like roy jones without the superhuman speed and punching power. i don't think he'll ever get there.
          Last edited by New England; 12-10-2012, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nysoxfan84 View Post
            I want to see Kessler-Froch 2. The winner can then face Ward, so he can take the other two titles at 168.
            ths is much more realistic.

i respect that they're good fighters, and that they are the one and two contenders. they're the best that is out there.

still, their fights with ward were not competitive, and on those grounds i'd like to see them fight each other for a shot at ward.

Comment

Originally posted by nysoxfan84 View Post
              I want Ward-Kessler II now. Froch-Kessler II would be another career shortening brawl where they'd beat the **** out of each other. After that Ward would get the corpse of the winner. I dont like that.

Comment

Only a rematch with Froch is what makes sense for Ward

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  yes, it was ward's first hbo main event if memory serves right. he was on hbo very early on in his career, but fought his major fights on showtime.

green would have commanded much less of a percentage than dawson as well, holding up the b side of the card.

ward and dawson was actually one of the lowest purses you'll ever see on hbo between top fighters.

the intention with andre ward would be to eventually build him to an american pay per view fighter, which is the peak of earnings in the sport. he's a tough sell. he doesn't have a style or the personality for it. he's like roy jones without the superhuman speed and punching power. i don't think he'll ever get there.
                  Dawson got (a very low) 600k for Ward. Green got the same as I recall it.

Comment

Originally posted by PureBoxingCEO View Post
                    Only a rematch with Froch is what makes sense for Ward
                    There's nothing in my mind that would suggest Froch having a chance. He got beat uncontroversially and the scoring actually was kind to him.

Comment

There's nothing in my mind that would suggest Froch having a chance. He got beat uncontroversially and the scoring actually was kind to him.
                      he wasnt outclassed like kessler though and the scoring was kind to mikkel too, i think someone even gave him a round.

Comment

Working...
                      X