No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo-Cotto Still Very Much a Reality, Says Schaefer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chiguy91 View Post
    trout/cotto was competitive in some/most rounds, but overall it was a clear trout victory. cotto/alvarez is stylistically different, but not to the point where i disregard how old cotto's looked in his last fights to where i'd give him a serious chance at beating alvarez. it's not me overrating alvarez, it's me acknowledging alvarez is a younger, fresher, and bigger fighter than cotto.
    cotto might be a tougher opponent than mosley was, but it's still the same concept. alvarez faces an older name and beats him. what does it prove? that he can challenge mayweather? that he can beat guys like trout, lara, molina, or martirosyan? imo it doesn't prove much, man.
    that is exactly what he's doing. He's trying to build his resume fighting guys with big names that are shot.

Seriously a win over Cotto at this point has no significance. He's lost two fights in a row in very convincing fashion, so I don't even see how he's eligible for a title fight, let alone considered an 'elite opponent'.

Lou DiBella said it best, Cotto eats punches. His face his a mess after every fight. Against these bigger guys his power hasn't been able to translate. He never hurt Trout once, he never bruised him or anything. Canelo hits way harder than Trout and he's going to stop Cotto.

I have to say the way GB is managing Canelo's career is pathetic. If they wanted to give him Ortiz and Cotto they should have went on with it and done it immediately, not wait only to see them lose.

Comment

Just make it happen. It makes sense financially so why not? I'm not expecting Canelo to demolish Cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuban Linx View Post
        that is exactly what he's doing. He's trying to build his resume fighting guys with big names that are shot.

Seriously a win over Cotto at this point has no significance. He's lost two fights in a row in very convincing fashion, so I don't even see how he's eligible for a title fight, let alone considered an 'elite opponent'.

Lou DiBella said it best, Cotto eats punches. His face his a mess after every fight. Against these bigger guys his power hasn't been able to translate. He never hurt Trout once, he never bruised him or anything. Canelo hits way harder than Trout and he's going to stop Cotto.

I have to say the way GB is managing Canelo's career is pathetic. If they wanted to give him Ortiz and Cotto they should have went on with it and done it immediately, not wait only to see them lose.
        cry some more

Comment

Of course Canelo might still fight Cotto. Do you think these promoters that are ruining boxing would actually have him fight someone who might beat him like Trout.

Comment

He has either fought old guys with names or undersized guys.
            I wonder when he'll challenge Solis

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
              He has either fought old guys with names or undersized guys.
              I wonder when he'll challenge Solis
              I'm expecting him to take a title fight with Mayorga.

Comment

sad enough that mayorga would be a step up

Comment

Originally posted by -KING- View Post
                  sad enough that mayorga would be a step up
                  cotto fought him last year

Comment

Wouldn't be surprised

Comment

They are doing a good job bringing Canelo along slowly, but they shouldn't have made him a champion if they were going to move him along slow like this. That's one big reason why Canelo gets so much hate. People expect more from him because he's a champ. At the same time, I think people need to be a little more patient. In the next year or so, they will start matching him against the best fighters and we will all get the fights we want. In the mean time, why not feed him Cotto. Cotto may not be able to beat Alvarez, but he sure can teach that kid a few things.

Comment

Working...
                      X